When it comes to getting a good night’s sleep, nothing beats a high-quality bed. However, the traditional beds are increasingly getting replaced by the so-called adjustable beds. So, if you’re considering investing in an adjustable bed, we believe you should first see how you can benefit from such a unit, and see if it fits your needs and requirements. So, without further ado, let’s take a look at the main benefits of owning an adjustable bed.
Adjustable Bed Benefits Overview
- Different sleeping positions (for couples) – adjustable beds feature remote controls so both you and your partner can sleep however you want. Maybe you want to elevate the head of the bed while sleeping, and your partner doesn’t. With an adjustable bed, that won’t be a problem since each of the sides can be adjusted individually.
- Comfort with pain relief – adjustable beds are more comfortable than regular beds. You can sit or sleep more comfortably, watch TV without aggravating back pain, and generally experience a reduction of back and neck pain while being perfectly comfy.
- Improved sleep quality – adjustable beds can ensure you find the perfect sleeping position to get a good night’s sleep. These beds can help you achieve the zero gravity sleeping position, which is the ideal way to sleep. You will fall asleep easier and faster, as well as stay asleep longer.
- Numerous health benefits – adjustable beds can provide health benefits in cases of mobility issues, back and neck pain problems, post-surgery recovery, snoring and sleep apnea, injuries, digestion and GERD issues, etc.
8 Benefits Of Adjustable Beds
1. Improves Back Pain
Adjustable beds are known to help provide relief and pain reduction in case of back pain or back pain conditions. But, how do they do it?
Well, when you experience back pain, it is essential to elevate the upper part of the body, and sometimes even the legs, or at least bend the knees. But, simply placing pillows underneath your upper body won’t do the job, since they will slip off the bed and leave you in a horizontal position.
That is where an adjustable bed takes the spotlight. The head and the bottom of the bed can be adjusted, meaning elevated as much as you want. So, by elevating the head/bottom of the bed, you’ll sleep in an elevated position. This way, you’ll remove all the pressure from the upper, especially the lower back. This will limit the compression of the lower back, especially the nerves which can be the main cause of lower back pain.
Also, by elevating the bottom of the bed, you’ll elevate the legs/knees and achieve a zero-gravity position, which is the perfect sleeping position for back pain.
What We Recommend: Best Adjustable Bed for Back Pain – The Ultimate List for 2021
2. Helps With Snoring And Sleep Apnea
If you experience frequent and loud snoring, or you suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, then the adjustable bed is for you.
Head elevation is the key in this case as well. Because snoring is caused by pressure or obstruction in the throat, head elevation removes the pressure and reduces tissue vibration, or snoring. Furthermore, in the case of OSA, head elevation helps keep the airways open and pushes the jaw slightly forward to achieve that.
So, if one is receiving CPAP treatment, the therapy will work much better, and it will be easier to get a good night’s sleep despite the face mask.
We have to mention the zero gravity position again. An adjustable bed will help you achieve this position quite easily, just by elevating the head and the bottom of the bed, and it will do miracles for you.
The zero gravity position stabilizes the neck and removes any pressure from the body. Head elevation keeps the airways open, while the leg elevation removes pressure from pressure points. This is the best sleeping position for people with snoring issues or obstructive sleep apnea.
Know More Details: Do Adjustable Beds Help Snoring?
3. Helps With Heartburn And GERD
Sleeping in an upright position can be extremely beneficial for your digestion, especially if you’re dealing with issues like heartburn or GERD. Slight upper body elevation can promote faster food digestion, even if you’ve gone to sleep with a full stomach. People with heartburn, GERD, or acid reflux seem to always get punished when they eat and lay down, and you shouldn’t be suffering like that.
That is why adjustable beds are exceptional. With such a bed you can elevate your upper body however you feel comfortable. The upper elevation will prevent the incredibly uncomfortable and unpleasant feeling of heartburn (chest pain as if you’re having a heart attack). Even a slight incline will do a major difference in keeping the acid inside the stomach. We recommend you elevate the head of the bed at least 6 inches for the best results.
4. Improves Shoulder Pain (Especially After Surgery)
Shoulder pain can make it almost impossible to get a good night’s sleep, especially after shoulder surgery. Doctors usually recommend sleeping in a slightly elevated position or trying to achieve the zero gravity position too.
However, it can be hard to sleep like this using only pillows. They tend to slip off the bed and increase the risk of you hurting the shoulder even more. Luckily, the elevation of an adjustable bed can provide works ideally in such cases.
Because sleeping in a horizontal position is not recommended, adjustable beds can provide the necessary upper body elevation. This relieves all the pressure from the shoulder area, especially the muscles.
In post-op cases, the patients can wear a sling during sleep, since the elevation provides enough room for sling support and arm elevation using a pillow, for example.
5. Relieves Leg Swelling
People dealing with swollen legs, like the elderly, pregnant women, or individuals dealing with certain illnesses, all look for a way to get some swelling relief. Some believe that lying alone can help reduce the swelling and inflammation, but that is unfortunately far from the truth.
When lying horizontally, swelling will only increase and might even cause pain because the position allows the fluids to stay in one place and create a so-called pool. That is why elevation is essential while laying down or resting. However, elevation using pillows and similar help won’t hold a long time, and the pillows will surely slip off the bed as you sleep.
That is why adjustable beds serve as one of the best solutions for this issue. They provide consistent elevation, throughout the night or day, and allow the fluids to move rather than remain in the legs.
So, if you want to decrease the swelling and get some relief from the pain it causes, then make sure to invest in an adjustable bed.
Note: Adjustable beds are also suitable for people dealing with varicose veins, or similar issues caused by long-term standing. The elevation of the lower limbs provides proper relief and rest.
6. Other Ways Adjustable Beds Can Be Beneficial
- Provides independence for the disabled – whether the disability comes from old age, illness, injury, or an accident, everybody needs to feel like they can rely on their mobility. That is why the inability to get in or out of the bed can be frustrating. Luckily, adjustable beds can help people with mobility issues to get out of the bed by having the head of the bed elevated. This furthers one’s mobility independence, which can be a great thing for one’s mental and physical health.
- Improves blood circulation – by elevating the upper or lower body using an adjustable bed, you will immediately improve the blood flow or circulation. With the aid of an adjustable bed, you can elevate parts of the body, reduce the pressure from pressure points, and allow proper blood flow and circulation throughout the body.
- Improves sleep quality – individuals who suffer from sleep deprivation or sleep disorders like insomnia are recommended to sleep on adjustable beds. The reason for this lies in the numerous comfortable sleeping positions one can achieve with this bed. By sleeping in a zero-gravity position, for example, one is more likely to fall and stay asleep, and wake up refreshed in the morning.
Which Adjustable Bed Should You Buy? (What We Recommend)
1. Blissful Nights E6 Adjustable Bed
This adjustable bed is perfect for couples who have different sleeping preferences. The bedsides can be adjusted individually, without disturbing the other side or one’s partner’s sleep.
Alongside the frictionless adjustability, the beds feature an array of different useful functionalities; massage option, Alexa voice control, a wireless remote, and nightlight. Not to mention that the bed provides the option for zero gravity sleeping position. This means that both the head and the bottom of the bed can be elevated and provide you with the ideal sleeping position.
2. TEMPUR-Ergo Adjustable Bed Bases
If you’re looking to buy a high-end adjustable bed base that will last you for years to come, then make sure to check out the TEMPUR-Ergo adjustable bed bases. These bed bases provide head and foot elevation, zero gravity positioning, and 2-Zone massages.
With the Smart Base there is even a Snore response, Sleep monitoring and voice control. The bed bases feature wireless remotes, USB ports, and Quiet Mode so that you don’t wake your partner up while adjusting your side of the bed.
3. GhostBed Adjustable Bed Base
The GhostBed adjustable bed is probably the best on the market. It is specially designed to aid people with lower back pain, sleep apnea, couples with different sleeping preferences, and those looking for comfort and relaxation. The bed can provide the zero gravity positioning, alongside the anti-snore preset and massaging options.
When it comes to additional features, we have to mention the LED under-bed lighting, USB power ports, and the wireless remote. The bed base works with any type of mattress, so this bed is a win-win situation for every potential buyer out there.
We hope that our little insight into the benefits of adjustable beds helped you make the final decision. Before buying such a bed, bear in mind the quality, individual adjustability, longevity, and price.
All of these things need to be available to you so that your investment is really worth it. For more information about the benefit of these beds, make sure to contact the bed manufacturers of your choice. You can even consult with your doctor. It is essential to talk to a medical professional who is familiar with your health status. This way you’ll know whether an adjustable bed is right or wrong for you.Read More: 10 Best Adjustable Beds for the Elderly in 2021