Adjustable beds are a valuable investment for different kinds of sleepers. However, they are most beneficial for seniors who suffer from different chronic conditions as well as therapeutic injuries.
Those beds can mostly be found in hospitals, but many manufacturers make them for in-house usage too. Needless to say, they are more future-proof and durable. When shopping for them, you may see they come with multiple zone massage, USB ports, zero-gravity position, and more.
In this article, we will help you pick and review the best adjustable beds for the elderly. If you don’t know much about this kind of frame, it’s best to read our compelling buying guide first.
Benefits of Adjustable Beds
There are a lot of medically-proven benefits of using adjustable bases, especially when it comes to the overall health of seniors.
Pressure and pain relief
Head and feet tilting and elevation works through different body zones, allowing easy pressure alleviation and equal distribution of weight across the bed, resulting in less pain in back, shoulders, hips, knees, and joints.
Good for chronic sleep conditions
They work in a way to reduce and minimalize sleeping conditions like sleep apnea and chronic snoring, as well as insomnia.
Most of the premium adjustable beds can be easily adjusted and fixed for all types of conditions that appeal to their users.
Some people prefer split king definition with the bed being split into two units at the half. That way couples can adjust their personal sleeping preferences how they want them to be.
Know More Details:
Some Drawbacks You Should Know Before Buying
5 Best Adjustable Beds for Elderly We Recommend
1. Best Overall: Saatva Lineal Adjustable Base
If you want to provide the best sleeping experience for your family or yourself, there’s no sturdier and more health-focused adjustable bed than Saatva Lineal Adjustable Base. Upon our thorough research, review, and estimation, Saatva deserved the first place among the best adjustable beds for the elderly. In the further review, we’ve highlighted while we graded it as our personal first.
This adjustable bed will pair perfectly for both young and older. The reason for that is because Saatva’s adjustable bed complies with every sleeping position uniquely and promotes a healthy posture and sleeping position. The base is compatible with the vast majority of adjustable mattresses intended for this bed.
However, for extra investment, you can pair the Lineal adjustable base with Saatva’s special Solaire Upper-Flex mattress which was specifically designed for an adjustable base.
This medically-approved bed will not only provide the necessary support and prerequisite for peaceful and restful sleep, with the use of an intuitive remote, but you can also easily change positions through the day at an angle that fits you the most.
Additionally, the head and feet elevation provides weightless support with the Zero-G feature, which most of the modern-day adjustable beds don’t have.
If laying on the bed in itself isn’t enough for you, Lineal Adjustable Base will also provide an amazing massage of your head, or legs using waves. Also, the bedding comes with an under-bed illumination, so that you can turn on the lights when you stand up without worrying about tripping over.
- Ergonomic, yet adjustable design with tight aligning with the wall. You don’t have to move the bed to change its position.
- It’s compatible with the vast majority of mattresses.
- A smart remote which easily changes the position providing Zero-G experience.
- Promoting healthy spine alignment.
- Wave head and feet massage for healthy blood circulation.
- 25 years warranty support for customized and quality sleep.
2. Runner up: Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+
If the Saatva Lineal came out of stock for its amazing features, Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+ is here, and it’s the runner up of the best adjustable beds for the elderly for a reason. When you give it the first look, Amerisleep bed doesn’t look any different compared to consumer beds you’ll find in every bedroom. It’s designed in a sleek way to look modern and replace the old-fashioned adjustable beds that are loud and come with a retainer bar.
Instead, it boasts a futuristic MicroHook retention system that grinds and creates small friction between the base and its width. If you’re tired of basic and old retainer bars, this bed will provide a modern refreshment to your room. Still, if you find you’ll need it, Amerisleep ships an optional retainer bar for those who prefer it. It’s worth mentioning that this bed is genuinely silent and won’t keep you up at night while shifting positions, unlike some other beds.
When it comes to controlling, Amerisleep Adjustable Bed+ ships with a wireless, backlit remote control that helps you adjust the position with a single click. Moreover, the remote and mobile app control help achieve better automation of tasks on the bed. They can both be controlled to lift feet to increase the blood circulation or help you watch TV or read books. Interestingly just like the previous model, this model runs on wave massage to help you relax your muscle. There’s a little exception, in the sense that this particular model boasts a special circular wave massage.
- Bright illumination under the bed for late-night ventures.
- Reliable and lasting 25 years warranty for worry-free sleep.
- Modern MicroHook retention technology
- Circling wave massage for muscle and pressure relief.
- Adjusting position can be done without moving the bed from the wall.
- Modern and sleek look compared to other adjustable beds for seniors.
- USB hub which lets you charge your phone with ease.
3. Best Budget: LUCID L300 Adjustable Base with 10-inch mattress
You don’t have to spend over $1000 to own a comfortable and trustworthy adjustable base. This particular model also comes with a 10-inch comfy mattress that not only easily lays on the base, but also conforms to your body. Our top budget-friendly adjustable bed for the elderly is LUCID L300, because of the versatility of features and different positions you can test within it.
LUCID L300 boasts a construction that allows each part of the body to be lifted or reclined independently of other parts. That said, the independent head incline goes from 0 to 60 degrees, while the foot incline supports up to 45 degrees. It’s worth mentioning that this model too comes with a dual USB charging hub which is located at each side of the bed. Additionally, it’s available in a plethora of sizes, from twin to king.
When it comes to the mattress that is bundled in, you get a soft and plush memory foam mattress in combination with latex topping. It’s ideal for light sleepers who have problems with back and hips in a way that they need something soft to sleep and absorb on. This hybrid mattress also comes with individually wrapped coils to provide extra support.
If you’re worried about the assembling process, don’t be spooked. This model takes a ridiculously short time for assembling. You’ll have it up and ready within minutes. We also liked that there is an innovative folding hinge which makes shipping and transport in particular fairly easier. Lastly, we’d like to look at the 10-year warranty and rejoice as it’s rare to see such a reliable warranty on a budget-friendly model. Also, the remote that comes with it is responsive and easy to use.
- This bundle is not just affordable, it’s also a great value. And if you already have a mattress suitable for an adjustable bed, you can buy only the adjustable base at a better price.
- The reliable, balanced, and convenient 10-inch mattress makes sleep sweeter.
- Dual USB hub at each side of the bed for consistent charging power.
- Extremely easy to assemble and transport thanks to a special folding technology.
4. Most Flexible: TempurPedic TEMPUR-Ergo Extend
Some users aren’t afraid to spend more on an adjustable base if it’s going to provide great features, guaranteed comfort, and enough flexibility that they can customize and personalize the sleeping experience. One of such beds is TempurPedic’s TEMPUR-Ego Extend, which is available in all possible sizes, from Twin to Split King and Split California King beds.
There are a lot of things we enjoyed reviewing this frame. It boasts some of the most innovative technologies adjustable beds can have, like Tempur-Pedic’s QuietMode which makes the overall motion of the base more quiet and peaceful without sacrificing your sleep time and peace. If you get woken up from snoring, you can quietly tilt the mattress upwards to be freed from the snoring position.
Another technology etched in one of the best adjustable beds for the elderly is the PerfectSeat, which works in a way so that it can gently optimize your sitting position to add more support depending are you reading books, watching TV, or napping.
Similarly like the aforementioned beds, this model also has a Plug-In USB base which can be found on either side of the base. Lastly, in terms of features, four-zone massage works wonder in alleviating pressure and swelling of your joints and muscles. It works in three modes so you can swap between them, depending on how much support you want or need from the bed vibrations.
In terms of control, the base is fairly easy to use. It comes with a one-touch backlit remote with preset buttons. That said, it’s easy to switch between the positions as well as massage if you need it. Remote allows the adjusting for nearly every position. You can tilt the head up to 57 degrees upwards, while foot can go from 0 to 50 degrees. All of that is packed in a 25-year warranty so you can enjoy it worry-free.
- Ergonomic and modern design available in nearly every sizing.
- A lot of useful technologies like QuietMode and PerfectSeat
- Amazing warranty to keep you sleeping comfortably for 25 years.
- Plug-In USB technology lets you keep your tech close to you.
- Backlit remote for easy control, as well as illuminated underside so you can stand up without worrying about tripping over.
5. Best Foldable: Yaasa Adjustable Bed
Some people prefer having extra space in their room and could use the ease of folding of an adjustable bed at their home for different reasons. Yaasa adjustable bed can allow exactly that and in the process, it’s packed with various features that are the testament of its quality.
Firstly, Yaasa Adjustable Bed comes in the following sides – TwinXL, Queen, King, and Split King. Again, we see that there are no split queen or California king options, but there is a lot of sleeping and comfort space. The bed was also designed to effortlessly glide against the wall meaning you don’t have to fold it or move it to adjust the incline of feet or head.
The next thing we like is programmable backlit remote you can use with ease even in the night. It boasts programmable presets so that you can install your favorite tilting positions before sleep and after waking up. Another thing that caught our attention is that there is the under bed storage, so you can fit some clothes, or sheets and pillows without having them take space elsewhere in your room.
Another interesting feature is the hub on each side of the bed for USB. You can use it to charge your phone, tablet, or another smart gadget. Lastly, this base is compatible with most mattresses.
- This base, in addition to the 10-year warranty, also features 30 nights sleep trial so that you can ensure this model works for you or your senior family member.
- The sleep positions are easily customized with programmable backlit control.
- Underbed storage adds up to more flexibility.
- Wall-gliding technology that allows users to easily adjust the bed without moving it from the wall.
- It’s compatible with the vast majority of mattresses.
Features to Look into When Shopping for Adjustable Beds for Elderly
It’s important for those beds to support at least 450 pounds. Still, these bases can provide support up to 850 pounds, depending on a manufacturer.
Zero-gravity preset creates a letter S-shaped sleeping surface where feet are elevated higher than the head. It’s ideal for people with certain sleep conditions, back pain, high pressure, and poor blood circulation.
Programmable remote controls can remember a certain sleeping position and adjust them at the right time, while also memorizing it on a preset on the remote.
Older adjustable beds require moving away from the wall and against it when the half of the bed designed for head and torso needs to be tilted. This technology prevents that while intelligently hugging the wall while changing positions.
Usually, best adjustable beds for elderly support circular wave technology split into three to four zones, as well as individual messages for head and feet.
A good adjustable bed should be equipped with at least two USB ports on each side of the bed.
Most adjustable beds ship with programmable remote controls that make use easier. Still, those more premium also boast mobile app that helps track positions and sleep quality.
Other 5 Products You Can Also Consider
6. Blissful Nights Queen Adjustable Bed Base
This budget-friendly adjustable bed base is truly going to make your nights blissful. There is a handful of features and accessories that come with this model. It’s ideal for seniors and people who recently suffered some sort of rheumatic injury that needs special sleep adjusting.
One of the best features is motion isolation and quiet functioning as tilting head and feet is nearly completely silent. It also boasts 4-part adjustable legs which work great with 6, 9, and 12-inch height profiles.
- The adjustable design which works with the vast majority of height profiles.
- Quiet operation, ease of tilting head, and feet.
- A very affordable and budget-friendly option.
- Relatively easy to assemble with nothing more than screwing.
7. Classic Brands Cool Gel Memory Foam 12-Inch Mattress with Adjustable Comfort Base
This package offers an innovative way to customize the way you sleep. Additionally, if you don’t have time to search for an additional adjustable mattress, the Classic Brands package includes a 12-inch Cool Gel Memory Foam mattress.
The bed in itself has a quiet base, with separate head and foot elevations, programmable settings you can adjust on the remote, USB ports, and zero-gravity feature.
- It’s relatively affordable compared to other models on the list.
- 3-speed dual head and foot massage you can activate individually.
- Programmable remote which offers personalized settings.
- Comfy and balanced 12-inch mattress with 2.5-inch of gel memory foam layer to keep you cool at night.
- Supports separate head and feet elevation, and zero-gravity settings.
- Great customer service.
8. Amerisleep Adjustable Bed Base
If you can’t afford the premium Adjustable Bed+, a more budget-friendly option will also do wonders for your sleeping experience. Its motors are just as quiet and help create a healthy and peaceful sleeping environment.
Another reason why it’s a great pick thatse it supports the zero-gravity sleep positios, has intuitive head and foot elevati,on and a great warranty.
- It’s morvalue-orienteded compared to the runner-up option.
- Easy head to feet articulation
- Zero-gravity positions help you sleep comfortably and painlessly.
- It’s super quiet and won’t interrupt your sleep when you turn.
- Two USB ports on each side.
9. Casper Adjustable Pro
We noticed that Casper Adjustable Pro has more adjustable head positions which prevent snoring and other conditions like sleep apnea. It also comes with a wireless, programmable remote which you can use to change positions in a way you find would relieve the pressure the most. Also, it has a powerful massage feature.
- Easy to use with wireless remote control with the ability to fully adjust to your body.
- It also boasts easy to access USB ports that allow you to charge your phone with ease.
- Zero-gravity features are healthier for those who need rest from chronic conditions like sleep apnea and snoring.
- There are lights under the bed for safe opportunity to stand up during the night.
- 30-night sleep trial and 20 years of warranty
10. Nectar Adjustable Bed Frame
The last but not the least adjustable bed for senior comes from Nectar, which is known for medically-approved mattresses, toppers and other great products.
The Nectar adjustable bed frame is a mid-range frame with great features and capabilities. It provides pressure relief for your body points and allows you to personalize your sleeping experience so that it flatters your health and sleeping habits.
- It’s not too expensive to include a mattress too. Also, it has flexible financing plans.
- 50 day sleep trial and three years of warranty.
- It offers an amazing three zone massage.
- Programmable remote settings that save time.