Many people joke about snoring. Others downplay the challenging nature of enjoying a restful night when sleeping close to someone that snores. The truth of the matter is that snoring can turn out to be a grave medical condition by the name OSA (Obstructive Sleep Apnea).
According to the NSF, snoring affects around 90 million people in the USA. The contracting or narrowing of the upper part of the airway informs the development of the condition. In addition to disrupting your partner’s sleep, snoring results in other risks or complications such as heart conditions, challenges in concentration, regular anger or frustration, and sleepiness during the day.
Nasal problems, mouth anatomy, sleeping position, excess consumption of alcohol, and sleep deprivation are all associated causes of snoring. Strategies such as weight loss, side sleeping, limiting the intake of alcohol, and the use of anti-snoring devices can help manage the condition better.
If you aren’t into any of the aforementioned solutions, you can consider using anti-snoring pillows. From our extensive research, we settled on the best anti-snoring pillows that we consider to be effective in helping manage your condition in the best way possible.
We settled on Restore™ Pillow as the best anti-snoring pillow. This adjustable pillow is designed with anti-snore tech. Through the technology, you can cushion your head and at the same time elevate it naturally thus facilitating the opening up of the air passage to drastically reduce snoring.
Snoring Facts And Solutions You Should Know
Do Pillows Help With Snoring?
Yes, pillows are handy when it comes to managing snoring. While that is the case, of great importance to note is the fact that NOT ALL pillows are effective at helping you with snoring. It is prudent to make sure that your prospective purchase is tailored made specifically for snoring.
So what makes snoring pillows different from the rest? Well, they feature specific design and materials that are friendly to the proper management of snoring.
According to this Australian study, tilting your head to the front, that is directing your chin towards your chest, deteriorates breathing patterns. The same study opines that doing the opposite boasts opposite results.
Anti-snore pillows help you elevate your head and/or tilt your head backward, which goes miles to enhance your breathing hence ultimately reducing your snoring.
The million-dollar question that then begs is, can you benefit from snore pillows if you use them incorrectly? Let us discover how to properly use your pillows to reduce snoring in the next section.
How To Properly Use Your Pillows To Reduce Snoring?
Some people are into utilizing too many or large pillows as they sleep. This can be magical and soft for the head. However, it is bad for your breathing patterns and ultimately snoring.
The most important thing to know is that the main purpose of a pillow is to ensure your neck and spine are aligned. When it comes to snoring, a pillow is necessary to ensure your head is elevated properly in such a way that the throat muscles aren’t strained to avoid blocking the airways and/or making breathing difficult.
Sleeping with too high, too low, or many pillows strains not only the parts of the body that cause snoring but also result in undesired pain in your shoulders. It can also cause spinal misalignment as well as posture.
Just one anti-snoring pillow is enough to ensure your neck is properly aligned with the spine and your airways are open to promote smooth breathing patterns.
If your pillow causes your neck to angle too much, then it will not only come in the way of your sleep but will also result in a neck that is stiff or blocking of the airways. Of course, a blocked airway means that your snoring will worsen.
To choose the best pillow for snoring, you need to consider several factors. They include:
- Your body size
- Sleeping position
- Existing medical condition
For instance, when it comes to sleeping position, a pillow that is high profile can be better for side sleepers but inappropriate for stomach and back sleepers.
Situations That Warrant The Use Of More Than One Pillow
We have already established that using more than one pillow for snoring, in most instances, is unnecessary. However, in some situations, using two or three pillows in addition to an anti-snoring pillow can be necessary.
Here are some of those situations:
- If you are overweight
The World Health Organization opines that obesity has almost tripled since 1975 in the world. Scary right? As if that is not enough, and just to paint a serious picture of obesity prevalence in the United States, according to the CDC, from 2017 to 2018, obesity cases stood at 42.4%.
This research study shows how obesity affects sleep. Being overweight causes one to have breathing problems which in turn causes more snoring. The additional weight which is mostly fat affects the functionality of the rib cage. It also comes in the way of the space for the optimal performance of the diaphragm to move downwards.
For the overweight folks, sleeping with two pillows goes miles to not only elevate the head properly but also reduce pressure on the diaphragm. This is necessary to improve breathing patterns and ultimately enhance snoring.
- If you are a side sleeper
Side sleeping as we shall later learn in this article is one of the best sleeping positions for snorers. If you are a side sleeper, you can have a snoring pillow below your head and then place any other pillow between knees. Doing so helps to relieve pressure on the lower back, hips, and knees.
When resting on the side, you need to make sure that the pillow backs the neck and head in such a way that the back maintains a normal and straight horizontal line. The rule of thumb is to distribute your weight evenly in such a way that you do not create unnatural pressure or bending.
You can have another pillow or just a small towel on your waist for extra support.
- If you are a stomach sleeper
Stomach sleeping is another ideal position for snorers. If you are a stomach sleeper, you can have one snoring pillow under your head, and any other pillow below your pelvis to ensure your spine is aligned better. Doing so also goes miles to mitigate the stress associated with stomach sleeping.
The golden rule to stomach sleeping when it comes to pillows is to make sure that yours is relatively flat. Having a relatively flat pillow for snoring ensures your neck and head do not turn abnormally to any of the sides.
- If you are a back sleeper
Back sleeping with an elevated head is also appropriate for snorers. For this sleeping position, place one anti-snoring pillow under the head and any other pillow below your knees to enhance the natural curvature of the spine for minimal stress.
When sleeping on your back, make sure that your pillow’s height is lower.
What Makes Anti-Snoring Pillows Effective?
When we solely observe anti-snoring pillows and compare them to the regular ones, we can see a clear difference. The design of the anti-snoring pillows is completely different and seems to serve a direct purpose. The majority of anti-snoring pillows have indentations or cutout curves that ensure stable head position and neck-spine alignment. Let’s see what else makes these pillows effective;
- Orthopedic design – because snoring has a lot to do with the way we sleep, the orthopedic design of these pillows ensures you sleep properly. Regardless of whether you sleep on your back or side, the design of the pillows will ensure proper position of your head, and in some cases, even elevate it slightly to avoid soreness and pain in the neck area. Sometimes the elevation in these pillows can prevent heartburn, GERD, and acid reflux.
- Adjustability – some of the anti-snoring pillows come with the option to be additionally optimized and adjusted. For example, some memory foam anti-snoring pillows feature additional memory filling. You can use this filling to adjust the firmness and height of the pillow, according to your needs.
- Firmness and comfort – to have a snore-free sleep, it is essential your pillow is firm and comfortable. Firmness in anti-snoring pillows ensures support for the head, neck, and upper back area. Moreover, they can’t be too firm, or they’d be uncomfortable. So, the best anti-snoring pillows feature a perfect balance between firmness and comfort. The better the pillow, the less you’ll snore, so make sure to invest in a good-quality pillow.
- Thickness levels – some anti-snoring pillows feature several thickness levels. This means they can be used by a variety of sleepers. Regardless of whether you’re a lighter or heavier sleeper, anti-snoring pillows will help you get that snore-free sleep, just by providing different thickness levels.
- Torso elevation – some anti-snoring pillows do not only elevate your head, but also the whole torso. These are usually the wedge pillows, and they’re excellent for snoring relief, heartburn, or GERD. These are perfect for side, back, or even stomach sleepers, and they’re generally very comfortable.
Can Anti-Snoring Pillows Help With Sleep Apnea?
Snoring is known to be one of the main symptoms of sleep apnea. In OSA cases, snoring is rather prominent, loud, and usually accompanied by gasps and choking sounds. So, sleep apnea patients are surely in need of anti-snoring pillows, especially if they receive CPAP treatment.
There are specific types of anti-snoring pillows for sleep apnea patients that feature ergonomic design and special cutout curve detailing. Such pillows, also known as CPAP pillows, ensure both, proper head and proper CPAP mask position. They can have holes in the middle, indentations, and cutouts to provide support and safety to a sleeping OSA patient. Sleep apnea anti-snoring pillows can also have an orthopedic design, or even come in the form of wedge pillows. They can be suitable for different sleeping positions, but provide most of their efficiency in the side or back sleeping positions.
3 Best Anti-Snoring Pillows in 2020
1. Restore™ Anti Snore Pillow From Level Sleep: Best Overall
- Anti-snoring technology – One of the things that strikes the most about this pillow has to do with its anti-snore technology. The innovative tech coupled with its design plays a big role in reducing snoring.
- Ergonomic design – Its ergonomic cushioning, adjustable neck support, and highly breathable ear wells are all crucial to helping you mitigate your snoring. One of the things that can inform or worsen your snoring is the inappropriate height of your pillow. This pillow has a remedy to that.
- Adjustable height – It features 3 adjustability heights to help you choose your favorite or most preferred height. You can adjust the height effortlessly by getting rid of the inserts inside the support area at the center. It is possible to effortlessly rotate the pillow up to 180 degrees to enjoy your ideal comfort level.
- Side-sleeping optimized – The pillow’s ear wells are indented. This means you enjoy less pressure on your ears. This particular feature is an excellent addition for those that sleep on their side.
- Maximum comfort – With the pillow’s patent-pending design, you can correctly position or contour your neck for nothing short of maximum comfort and airflow.
- High-quality fabrics – You can also look forward to the long-lasting and thick fabric that features an impressive four-way stretch tech to guarantee nothing short of the utmost comfort. In terms of material or fabric used to make the pillow, it brings with it certified and breathable memory foam to make sure you enjoy a cool sleep at night or during the day.
- Its comfortable nature of the pillow in properly aligning your neck for smooth breathing is a striking attribute. In addition to that, it is durable and effortless to wash.
- On top of using it to sort issues with breathing and discomfort on your neck and head while sleeping, you can also use it to read a book or watch your beloved TV series. It is made from a highly comfortable and high-density material that gives you an easy time as you sleep.
2. Slow Rebound Anti Snoring Pillow From Walmart: Best Design
- Added elevation – Its added elevation ensures that throat muscles and airways on your throat upper region do not collapse for snoring to happen. If you are a side sleeper (side sleeping is the best position for snorers), this pillow can give you the right support for proper alignment.
- Snore-preventing cutout curve – It features a neatly-done cutout curve to support both the neck and head in such a way that prevents snoring especially when sleeping on your side. To guarantee extra comfort, the pillow is made from luxurious and soft material to ensure you enjoy nothing short of a comfortable sleep at night.
- Ergonomic design – Its ergonomic design is handy at helping you breathe effortlessly. It is efficient at making sure your shoulders and neck are lined up properly to facilitate proper moisture that helps clear your airway for minimal snoring and restful, comfortable night.
3. HealthSmart Wedge Pillow From Amazon: Best Cheap
- Exceptional design – The creators of the pillow understand that pillow inflation and curvature of a sleeper play a big role in easing breathing. That is why they came up with an impressive pillow that can be handy at not only improving your curvature but also inflates at just the right level to properly manage your snoring.
- Anti-snoring optimized – One of the issues that inform the development of snoring is an excessively collapsed tissue of the throat. If you can get a pillow that helps you counter that, then it is certainly a snoring pillow worth buying. The pillow offers the right tension for the muscles in your throat to prevent them from shrinking to create the snoring sounds.
- Coziness and appearance – Another striking attribute about this anti-snoring pillow has to do with its cozy design. Of course, just because a pillow is meant for snoring does not mean that it should be good looking. Unlike the many others in the market today, this one is remarkable in terms of how it looks.
- Versatility and reliability – The pillow features air channels that ensure it remains cool and fresh throughout the night. In addition to snoring, you can trust the elevation of the pillow to help you manage other types of issues such as circulation and respiration.
More FAQs on Anti Snoring Pillows
5 Other Products We Also Consider
By now we already know that snoring is one of the major causes of sleep disturbances. The last thing you want is to encounter sleep interruption as it can not only affect your health but can also make you stressed and depressed the entire day. To avoid getting cranky the whole day because of sleep deprivation as a result of snoring, it is prudent to use the best anti snoring pillow.
The Motion anti-snore pillow is among the best in the market. The manufacturers of this pillow specifically developed it to cater for snoring. The solution or kit brings with it a ‘Box’ that not only detects but also records as well as evaluates snoring patterns.
Once it does that, it inflates the airbag inside the pillow to come up with a sleeping position that is ideal of effortless and smooth breathing. Due to the improved sleeping patterns, you can be able to enjoy restful night that is free of snoring.
- Extended warranty
- Easy to maintain
- Great design
- Comfortable to use
- Can be complicated for some users
By properly elevating your head and correctly aligning your neck, you can manage to combat snoring issues. This great pillow from Abco Tech is effective at helping you achieve that. With it, you can say goodbye to having challenges breathing.
- Highly comfortable
- Premium, high-density material
Do you and your partner sleep in separate rooms because of your snoring or your partner’s snoring? Tried different sleeping solutions to address the issue but they do not seem to work? Well, you should try sleeping on this pillow.
You don’t have to worry about issues of off-gassing and the pillow not expanding as the manufacturer addressed these issues amicably.
- The cover is not slippery thus making you remain in place
- Comfortable support to the throat muscles
- Highly versatile
- Room for improvement on the stiff material
Do you have trouble with snoring? It works best with snoring back sleepers. Whether you are buying it for yourself or partner, you can rest assured that the pillow will be efficient at helping you combat snoring.
A slight issue with the pillow is the fact that there are very few choices in terms of sizes to select from.
- Great height (universal height)
- Proper curving and contouring
- Slight off-gassing
Desire to mitigate your snoring by volumes? Have you been an effective pillow to help you enjoy a snoring-free night? If yes, then you should consider this one. It is designed to cater to the needs of those grappling with snoring.
It only takes a few days for the pillow to get into shape once you remove it from its packaging meaning within several days after buying it, you can start enjoying its countless benefits.
For starters, this pillow is not the usual lumpy pillow that makes you feel crammed beneath your neck. It is soft and comfortable to give you a stress-free experience around the neck and head.
Another impressive attribute about this anti-snoring pillow is the fact that it brings with it a removable cover which makes it effortless to wash. With the removable cover, replacing it is a walk in the park to avoid making your pillow discolored. You can also say goodbye to musty smells because of a dirty cover which tends to make matters worse if you have snoring issues.
- Excellently done contours to further enhance comfort
- Soft material
- Excellent support to shoulder and neck muscles
- Long-term warranty
- Can be too high for some sleepers