Warning! Before you utilize any of the following bed bug sprays, we highly recommend you contact the local Pest Control or pest exterminator.
Bed bugs are probably one of the most common household problems, not only in the US but around the world. These bugs live exclusively around humans and require blood to survive. Bed bugs cannot fly, so when they’re in your bed, they can only move by being attached to you. However, by using humans as transportation, bed bugs can come to you home from buses, trains, schools, libraries, colleges, daycares, even from your friend’s or family member’s home.
Now, bed bugs have been eliminated using different pesticides in the past. However, often deemed unhealthy for humans (as they can cause serious irritations, allergies, breathing problems, and other health issues), we nowadays simply use sprays.
But, because there are so many different bed bug sprays, it can be hard to choose the best and most efficient one. Therefore, in the following paragraphs, we’ll explore few bed bug sprays we think are the best on the market, and hopefully help you with these annoying little insects.
Bed Bug Sprays Explained
- What are bed bug sprays? – bed bug sprays are insecticide-based sprays that are used to treat bed bugs, fleas, ticks, and other kinds of household pests or insects. Sprays are said to be the most effective ways of dealing with the bed bugs on your own, but, it is always better to first consult with a local exterminator. The reason for this is that some sprays can’t do the job properly, and might even worsen the situation.
- Are bed bug sprays effective? – it is safe to say that some sprays are more efficient than the others. However, it is also safe to say that bed bugs are becoming more resistant to these sprays, so there can lie a potential problem. Sometimes, even the best sprays have no chance against these bugs, hence the advice about Pest Control and exterminators.
- Are bed bug sprays dangerous? – bed bug sprays (especially if used improperly) can be dangerous for your health, the health of your children or pets. Bed bug sprays can cause breathing difficulties, coughing, oxygen level imbalance, nausea, vomiting, upset stomach, skin irritation, etc. However, some bed bug sprays are created with these health concerns in mind, so through proper use, you can avoid these side effects.
4 Best Bed Bug Spray in 2020
Harris Bed Bug Killer
Harris bed bug spray is currently the spray that is in the highest demand. For several years now, this product has been deemed as the most effective, when compared to the serious competition. It is usually praised because, when compared to other sprays, this one is completely odorless and doesn’t have that strong, chemical odor. As many customers say, the Harris bed bug spray seems to be the closest thing to the thing Pest Control uses, so let’s see what makes this product stand out.
- Completely odorless – so, if you’re looking for a spray that won’t make you feel nauseous, then the Harris bed bug spray is for you. It has an odorless and non-staining formula, which won’t cause harm to you, your children or pets. It also won’t leave any stains on the fabric of your bed, for example.
- Non-invasive ingredients – this spray is water-based and only uses deltamethrin as an active ingredient. This chemical is a highly effective insecticide that is often used to keep insects away from the fruit.
- Kills bugs on contact – as you spray it, the product dries and kills all the bugs that came in contact with the formula. It also eliminates the bug eggs and continues to do so even 16 weeks after the application of the spray.
- EPA registered – the Harris bed bug spray is registered with the Environmental Protection Agency, meaning it is intended for indoor residential use, as well as that it is safe for humans and pets.
- Extended trigger spray – the product comes with an extended trigger spray, which is used to disperse the formula and reach areas where the bugs could be hiding.
Ortho 0202510 Home Defense Bed Bug, Flea and Tick Killer
Another bed bug spray that is currently in demand is the Ortho bed bug spray. Just like the previous product, the Ortho spray is believed to be extremely good with persistent pests, like bed bugs or even flea and brown dog ticks. It is also created with a formula that is odorless and non-staining. But, what is it that makes Ortho stand out among the competition?
- Excellent for large areas – usually bed bug sprays are intended for smaller areas and a more concentrated application. However, the Ortho spray is great for large areas as well. It manages to disperse widely and come directly in contact with bugs even in areas like rugs, whole floors, beds, closets, mattresses, etc.
- Fast-drying – some sprays take a while to dry out completely, which can be a problem in case you have pets or you’re not a really big fan of the odor. Luckily, the Ortho spray dries out in few seconds, without damaging fabrics and surfaces.
- Battery operated spray wand – this product comes with an extended, battery-operated spray wand that makes for the better disperse control, continuous spraying, and enables you to reach the most difficult areas where the bed bugs usually hide. Nonetheless, you can use your own spray wand, but if you don’t have one, this can be really useful.
- Kills bugs on contact – Ortho is believed to kills bugs and their eggs within three seconds after the first contact. It is even efficient with the toughest, most resistant bugs, as only one application can last up to two weeks.
Note: We also recommend you check out the Ortho Home Defense Dual-Action Bed Bug Killer.
It is one of the best selling products when it comes to fighting bed bugs; it is fast-acting and offers a long-lasting bed bug control, which is something not every bed bug spray can brag about.
You can use this product as a part of the comprehensive bed bug treatment plan, together with the Ortho spray.
Hot Shot HG-96440 Bed Bug Killer Aerosol Spray
If you’re looking for a more concentrated fighting tool against bed bugs, then the Hot Shot bed bug spray might be just for you. This product is intended to treat bed bugs and bed bug eggs in the smallest cracks and crevices in your household, whether we’re talking about bed frames, mattresses, box springs, closets, etc. You can also use this spray to fight off fleas, ticks, and basically any kind of pests and insects. Let’s see what else makes Hot Shot really the hotshot in the bed bug spray game.
- Concentrated treatment – if you suspect that certain areas or surfaces in your household are being attacked by bed bugs, the Hot Shot spray will help you treat these areas in a more concentrated way. The spray is precise and disperses only where you point it at.
- Non-allergenic – this spray is suitable for indoor use (even around kids and pets) since it is non-allergenic and suitable for all kinds of surfaces. From mattresses, to floors, carpets, upholstery, this spray will do the job. However, make sure not to apply directly onto pets, even though the spray can fight off fleas (in that case the spray can cause harm).
- Water-based formula – one of the reasons this spray is suitable for indoor use lies in its water-based formula. Some bed bugs sprays tend to be oily and leave stains or odors; the Hot Shot, on the other hand, is non-staining, leaves no residue or unpleasant odor.
- Fast-effect – the Hot Shot product provides clearly fast effects by causing bed bugs to die in a few seconds after the application. No bug can survive this product. However, for an even greater effect, try applying the spray twice in two weeks.
Bed Bug Killer by Eco Raider
Now, the Eco Raider bed bug spray might actually be the best product on the market. Eco Raider has been even studied and scientifically tested against the competition and proven to achieve 100% mortality of bed bugs. It has also been proven that eco Raider is one of the most effective products when it comes to eliminating all bed bug eggs. These seem to be serious claims about such a product, so let’s see what other features make Eco Raider truly stand out;
- Studied and researched – unlike other bed bug sprays on the market, Eco Raider has been featured in several independent studies where it has shown a 100% efficacy in killing and eliminating bed bugs and bed bug eggs. Furthermore, the product was field tested through the USDA IR4 PHP Program where it showed 100% eradication of bug infestation in households, buildings, and sensitive environment.
- Fast treatment – Eco Raider takes seconds upon application to kill bed bugs and bed bug eggs, as well as other types of pests. It is one of the fastest efficient products on the market. In some cases, there wasn’t even a need for an additional application.
- Dry residual protection – now, even after the product has dried, Eco Raider provides a high-level protection against bed bugs even two weeks after the first application. This doesn’t only make it efficient, but also good for your wallet since you won’t be spending additional money on more bed bug sprays.
- Non-toxic and eco-friendly – if you’re someone who worries about these bug sprays being toxic, allergy-inducing, and generally dangerous, well, that is not the case with Eco Raider. It is a USDA certified, BioBased insecticide that is dermatologically safe, safe for children and pets, and can be even used directly on mattresses and box springs.
We truly hope that our choice for best bed bug sprays has been helpful. However, we have to again point out the importance of contacting the local Pest Control or exterminator.
Bed bug sprays can be dangerous for your health, especially if you use them incorrectly. Exterminators are professionals and they will make sure the insecticides are applied properly. If you still want to handle the issue yourself, try at least consulting an exterminator for some advice on proper use.