5 Best CPAP Machines 2023 (Some Are Travel Friendly)
Continuous positive air pressure machine, also known as CPAP machine, is used as a treatment for a medical condition known as obstructive sleep apnea. People with this condition experience pauses in breathing during the night, due to narrowing and blocking of the airway. To help the patients get a good night’s sleep, the CPAP machine ensures the airway is open by sending positive air pressure into the airway during treatment. This helps the patient sleep nicely and breathe normally with no or minimum obstruction, depending on the severity of the sleep apnea.
CPAP machines are truly a life saver, but also a costly investment. That is why we’ve narrowed down the search for the best CPAP units to help you save time and money, and get your CPAP unit as soon as possible. So, let’s check them out!
The Best CPAP Machines – Reviews
- Best modern features in a CPAP machine – Luna G3 BPAP 25A
- Automatic adjustment
- Integrated heated tubing
- Noise reduction – noise under 26 dB
- Data transfer
- Best premium grade CPAP machine – ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet
- Integrated humidifier
- Smart airflow and Smart Start
- User-friendly controls
- Best afordable, high-quality CPAP machine – ResMed AirStart 10 CPAP with HumidAir
- High-quality unit
- Built-in heated humidifier
- Incredibly quiet (only 26.6 decibels)
- Editor’s Pick – Best cost-friendly and reliable CPAP machine – DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Auto CPAP Machine
- Auto adjustable pressure system
- Data collection system
- SmartLink App monitoring
- Best user-friendly and user-oriented – Philips Respironics One REMstar Pro AutoIQ CPAP Machine
- C-Flex + flow based pressure system
- Adustable to different types of masks
- Event detection algorithm
1. Luna G3 BPAP 25A: Best For Travel
It can be extremely hard to find a CPAP unit that provides personalized and customized therapy. One of the biggest issues when it comes to CPAP machines is the lack of diversity of therapy they offer. Being aware of people’s different needs, we’ve decided to place the Luna G3 BPAP 25A as our first recommendation for the best CPAP machines.
Now, this is a unit that will provide everything you may need. Battling dry mouth and throat sensitivity after CPAP therapy? Luna G3 is designed to prevent mouth drying (as well as throat drying). Looking for a compact CPAP machine? Luna G3 is approximately 10.4 inches long and 5.7 inches wide, which makes it super compact and travel convenient.
- Integrated heated tubing – with intelligent Auto Humidity control, G3 allows maximum moisture while ensuring rain out in the tubing is not an issue.
- Pre-Heat Feature – the G3 series has a pre-heat feature to warm your humidifier water up for the ultimate comfort during treatment.
- Noise reduction – the G3 series is equipped with multi-stage noise reduction technology that ensures the sound performance of the machine during treatment is under 26 dB, even with the continuous operation mode.
- Exceptional design – the ultra-modern design of the G3 unit makes it stand out even when compared to the most current and advanced CPAP machines.
- User-Friendly Interface – the unit is equipped with a clock-temperature-humidity monitor that is always on standby, as well as accessory reminders to help you keep track of your treatment.
- Easy data access – thanks to the iCode and SD card, your records/data can be viewed and evaluated via RE smart PC software or BMC+ iCode smart phone app.
- Cost of the unit
- ECO Smart efficient heating system – whole night humidification
- Auto Ramp feature – automatic ramp time adjustment when the user fall asleep
- Auto humidity control
The Luna G3 is the CPAP machine with the best, most current features. Even though it is pricey, we believe it is a great unit for those who experience throat sensitivity and mouth dryness and want to ensure a good night’s sleep without a loud and noisy CPAP. The unit does feature numerous beneficial components, options, and settings. It is easy to use thanks to the excellent User Interface, and won’t clutter your nightstand thanks to its compact size.
2. ResMed AirSense 11 AutoSet Elite CPAP
The ResMed Airsense 11 CPAP machine is considered to be one of the best quality CPAP machines on the market. The AirSense 11 Autoset is a premium quality unit that adjusts completely to your sleeping pattern as well as therapy needs. It is designed to combine enhanced digital technology with effective therapy modes.
The unit is made to ensure comfortable sleep as it provides direct and immediate air pressure level adjustment. The AirSense 11 Autoset comes with access to ResMed myAir, an online support program that uses data from your machine and lets you know how you sleep and whether your CPAP treatment needs tailoring and adjustment.
- Auto-adjustment of airflow – the AirSense 11 machine changes airflow pressure levels based on your breath-by-breath basis.
- Autoset response – this mode allows for gentle pressure increase and provides a pressure-increasing mode specifically designed for women.
- Sleep onset detection – the unit is equipped with sleep onset detection, meaning it delivers low airflow pressure to help you fall asleep, and as you drift off, increases the pressure required for your prescribed treatment.
- Built-in humidifier – helps reduce dry mouth and headaches, and can be used automatically or manually.
- Sleep report and data transfer – the unit has direct access to myAir, which is an inline support program and app designed to provide sleep reports, resolve treatment issues, and improve treatment options/modes.
- Care Check-In – the unit has a special feature called Care Check-In, which provides free coaching and assistance throughout your sleep apnea treatment and therapy.
- Battery options are limited for the AirSense 11
- Cost of the unit
- May not be suitable for traveling or transport, even though it does feature a compact case.
- Full-color touchscreen
- Smaller footprint thanks to the unit being 25% smaller than previous models
- SmartStart – therapy starts automatically when you breathe into the mask
In all honesty, the AirSense 11 Autoset is an incredible CPAP machine, that provides all the features necessary for a good night’s sleep. The unit features enhanced digital health technology to maximize the efficiency and success of your treatment. Compared to the previous model AirSense, the AirSense 11 is a significant improvement that makes the AirSense 11 one of the most convenient CPAP machines on the market.
3. ResMed AirStart 10 CPAP with HumidAir
Probably one of the most affordable, high-quality CPAP machines on the market belongs to ResMed. The AirStart 10 is ResMed’s currently best selling and best budget-conscious model on the market. The unit is built excellently to occupy as little space as possible, as well as to produce as little noise as possible. It has all the characteristics and features of the high-end CPAP units but comes at an incredibly lower price.
- Incredibly quiet – CPAP machines are known for their noise. They usually help you fall asleep but disturb your sleep with how loud they are. The ResMed AirStart 10 is an incredibly silent model due to its Whisper Quiet system (only 26.6 decibels).
- Built-in heated humidifier – just like all ResMed CPAP units, this one also comes with an integrated humidifier to ensure the best sleep quality.
- AirStart 10 technology – the unit is set at one pressure point, however, it comes with an AirStart 10 pressure relief technology. This technology ensures you exhale easily without waking up.
- Easy to operate – the unit is rather intuitive and built for easy use. The unit comes with an LCD screen to ensure easy control and setup.
- Single-pressure unit – unlike other, auto-adjusting units, the AirStart 10 is a single-pressure unit. The pressure levels are fixed and can only be changed under the doctor’s care. This can be a possible source of discomfort during sleep.
- A burst of pressure – because the unit’s pressure levels are fixed, there might be random and sudden bursts of air pressure that can wake you up and cause breathing discomfort.
- SD card (for data and treatment progress monitoring)
The Bottom Line
If you’re looking for a CPAP unit that is high quality but also budget-friendly, then the ResMed AirStart 10 is the piece you’re looking for. The unit offers all the features of the expensive CPAP machines, but you’ll be saving money. Not to mention how quiet this unit is; you won’t even notice it is there.
4. DeVilbiss IntelliPAP Auto CPAP Machine
The IntelliPAP Auto CPAP machine is an auto adjustable device that has been in high demand over the last couple of years. Ever since it was launched, it has become a best-seller and a unit people trust. It is auto adjustable, meaning that it auto-adjusts the air pressure levels, the mask conditions, the airflow, and much more.
It regulates everything on its own when detecting a change in breathing or mask condition. The IntelliPAP comes with the SmartFlex technology which regulates the pressure relief, as well as the individual inspiratory system. This system ensures a customizable transition between inhaling and exhaling rounds, which in turn provides a good night’s sleep without any interruptions.
- The AutoAdjust system – this system ensures that everything is automatically adjusted (pressure adjustment, adjustable apnea and hypopnea definitions, adjustable pressure limits, and detection of mask condition).
- SmartCode technology- remote checking of data to ensure a better and more comfortable sleep.
- SmartFlex technology – the technology ensures three comfort settings as well as a Flow Rounding system for better pressure adjustment, especially when it comes to the transition between inhaling and exhaling. This means that the likelihood of waking up is very low.
- SmartLink App – the app allows the users to monitor their data by connecting to the unit. The user receives monthly reports, reminders, maintenance help and notifications.
- Easy and intuitive unit – the unit is intuitive and made to provide easy use for everyone. The setup is straightforward and focused on being completely user friendly.
- No battery – the unit only features a power cord, which makes it impossible to use during traveling. It is only intended to be used at home or in clinical environments.
- The SmartLink app – only compatible with new iOS and Android smartphones and tablets.
- Spare filter packs
- An SD card
- Bluetooth capable technology
- Auto Start and Auto Stop system
- Adjustable humidifier controls
The Bottom Line
The users of the IntelliPAP CPAP machine usually commend it for its reliability and safety. Even though the whole unit is auto adjustable, it still offers options for manual adjustment. This way the user can be sure everything is properly set. Moreover, the mask that comes with the units is not restrictive, so, active sleepers can move freely and change sleeping positions to their comfort.
5. Philips Respironics One REMstar Pro AutoIQ CPAP Machine
Another Philips Respironics CPAP machine on the list is the One REMstar Pro Auto IQ machine. This CPAP machine is considered to be one of the best auto adjustable and customizable CPAP machines on the market. It is made to quickly learn about the user’s sleep needs and therapy, and in the first month of use, it follows a breath-by-breath therapy track to ensure the best and most comfortable service. The unit features a compliance meter breathing detections as well as other auto adjustable settings and features which help ensure comfortable, uninterrupted sleep.
- Auto Trial and Auto Check – these systems ensure information gathering in order to set the best ideal therapy pressure for every single individual user. With such information, the unit automatically adjusts and conforms to the user’s therapy needs and sleep pattern/behavior.
- C-Flex+ – a system intended to provide flow-based pressure relief during the exhalation. This means that the transition between inhaling and exhaling is softened and comfortable, meaning it won’t wake you up.
- The System One resistance control – the unit is able to adjust to different types of masks. The user tells the units which mask they use, and the unit makes necessary adjustments to ensure optimal airflow during sleep.
- Event detection algorithm – collecting data on snoring, periodic breathing, respiratory effort-related arousal, apnea-hypopnea index, leaking, obstructed airway apnea info, and much more. This helps the system come up with the best sleeping therapy and solution for each user.
- Dirty filters – the filter may get dirty quickly and easily, which in turn makes the airflow warmer. These filters might require frequent cleaning or change.
- Frequent change in pressure – the airflow pressure might change frequently, either being too high or too low. This happens because the tubing set can be easily disrupted.
- SD card for data collection
- Built-in Dry Box to eliminate water entering the unit
- Humidity Control system to monitor room temperature, humidity, and environment changes
The Bottom Line
The One REMstar Pro AutoIQ is definitely one of the most reliable CPAP machines on the market. It is created to fit the therapy and sleep needs of each user individually. By being auto adjustable this unit is not unique as there are numerous other CPAP machines with the same principles and concepts. However, among the auto adjustable units, the One REMstar Pro AutoIQ might be one of the best for sure.
Frequently Asked Questions
What are the main equipment parts in CPAP machines?
- Flow generator – the flow generator filters room air and produces positive air pressure. It is usually rather small, produces quiet sounds and consists of features like heater/humidifier, pressure ramp setting, and exhalation pressure relief.
- Mask or nasal piece – a mask and/or nasal piece delivers the filtered air to the nose. The mask can be either a nose mask, a nose, and a mouth mask or nasal pillow (a nose piece with cones fitting each nostril.
- Airflow hose – the airflow hose connects the flow generator and the mask or nasal piece.
- Humidifier – some units do not come with a built-in humidifier. Other units, that do contain a humidifier, might be harder to cleans and water might enter the unit.
Do you need a prescription to buy a CPAP machine?
A CPAP machine is considered to be a medical device, as regulated by the FDA. It is also considered illegal to sell CPAP machines, CPAP masks or CPAP humidifiers without a prescription. Therefore, the answer is; yes, you will need a valid prescription to buy this medical device. You could be able to get a CPAP machine from a private seller, but it is not recommended. When buying with a prescription, you can be sure you’re getting a machine with proper therapy pressure and a machine that fits your diagnosis.
How long does a CPAP machine last?
The average life expectancy of a CPAP machine is around seven to eight years or approximately 20,000 hours. Some CPAP machines are expected to last few years longer. If properly maintained, your CPAP machine could reach 50,000 hours easily. Therefore, it is important to invest in a good CPAP machine and to maintain it properly.
Are CPAP machines dangerous?
CPAP machines are built to be safe, of course. However, there can be few disadvantages and harms when it comes to using a CPAP machine. For example, you can experience mask irritation, dry nose or mouth, intolerance to forced airflow, claustrophobia (due to having a mask on the face) and noise intolerance (as many CPAP machines tend to be loud). If you’re experiencing more harmful disadvantages, make sure to consult a medical professional for further information.
What Do We Recommend?
Ever heard of refurbished CPAP equipment? That is the type of CPAP machines and CPAP equipment that has been previously owned by someone and then purchased by a licensed CPAP supplier. So, if you find CPAP machines too expensive, there is a way for you to buy high-quality CPAP units for a really low price. Here’s what we recommend;
This sleek and high-quality unit comes with Climate Control humidifier and ClimateLine heated tubing. It is enabled and safe for in-flight use and travel. The unit is incredibly quiet (only 24 decibels). Its retail price is usually $700, but because it is refurbished, you can get it for $399. This is an excellent deal where you’ll get an incredible, high-end unit for a really great price.
Another excellent CPAP unit is the F&S SleepStyle. The unit features minimized condensation and maximized humidity technology. It is considered to be one of the most effective CPAP therapy units and really shines under changing conditions. The unit usually retails at $499, but because it is refurbished, you can get it for only $99.95. This excellent deal can ensure you have a great unit at your disposal, while also saving a bunch of money.
The ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset can be ordered with an Optional (although pricey at $395 at easybreathe.com) Backup Battery option.
Yes, technically the ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset does not have Battery Backup built-in, but with the Medistrom Pilot-24 Lite CPAP Battery, as mentioned above, which can be configured in a ‘daisy-chain’ mode, you have a continuous battery backup protection should you lose power in the middle of the night.
This Pilot-24 battery system is compatible with the Air Mini and Air Sense 10 CPAP machines with no other adapters needed and also with the ResMed S9 and Philips DreamStation Go with additional Adapter.
You can also buy an adapter to charge the battery pack from an automotive cigarette lighter so you could use the CPAP while travelling in a car/motorhome, etc. (obviously with someone else driving!).
Thanks for the information that CPAP machines should last up to 50,000 hours if properly kept. My mom suffers from obstructive sleep apnea but we have yet to get a go signal from her doctor about this equipment. I’d want to inquire about this when I get the chance and would see if this is available at nearby medical supplies stores.
Please note – The Dreamstation Go has been recalled. I bought
One right before the recall. They have been slowly replacing the recalled models with Dreamstation 2s, which are poorly rated. It’s unfortunate.
thanks for the clarification