Mattress toppers are probably some of the most useful sleep accessories and aids you could buy. These items can help you save money and turn your old mattress into a completely new, comfortable, and supportive sleeping surface.
Because buying a new mattress, or finding the perfect one, can be costly and difficult, mattress toppers will take care of your wallet, time, and sleep without a bit of struggle.
So, if you’re looking for a good, firm mattress topper that will improve your sleeping surface but also save you some money, you’re at the right place. In the following paragraphs, we’ll review some of the best firm mattress toppers that are currently on the market. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Firm Mattress Toppers – Everything You Need To Know
Buying a mattress topper, especially if you’re looking for a particular comfort level, can be difficult. Most of the time you’re not sure how to choose the topper, which features to look at, and what to eventually expect from the product.
If you’re having some struggles choosing the right topper, here are the most important things you should look for;
Firmness and Comfort Level
Mattress toppers, just like mattresses, have a firmness and comfort level scale.
However, they do differ, and it is important you know the topper firmness and comfort level scale before purchase. With that in mind, you should know that the scale is still 1 to 10, 1 being the softest and 10 being ultra-firm.
However, the medium-firm scale starts at 4 and goes up to 5/6, while the firm scale starts at 6/7 and goes up to 8/9.
Since we’re talking about firm toppers in the following paragraphs, make sure to keep in mind that the majority are on the firm scale, while few medium-firm units can act as firm for lightweight or medium-size sleepers.
Note: the firmness and comfort levels are calculated and rated by manufacturers, so bear in mind that the numbers and the scale can vary. So, for more information always make sure to contact the company, check the reviews, and see what other customers have to say.
Materials And Construction
Because firm units aren’t as plushy and soft as the soft ones are, you should pay attention to the materials that are used to make a topper.
For example, firm mattress toppers are usually made from memory foam. However, because the topper needs to be firm, the memory foam isn’t a regular one (as used in soft toppers or in mattresses).
The firm topper memory foam is usually gel-infused, dense, or made from natural, dense, latex foam. These are the highest-quality, most durable materials that can be used to make a firm topper.
Because of these materials, firm toppers are suitable for back pain, back conditions, pressure point pain (pain in hips, shoulders, back, neck, etc.). Moreover, additional materials should be cotton or wool, since only then will your topper provide breathability and proper airflow.
Purpose And Best Use
For back pain
Firm toppers are excellent for back pain, mostly because of the materials used to make them. Gel-infused or latex memory foam provides exceptional conformity and support to the body, especially your back.
Firm toppers are effective when it comes to proper spinal alignment, pressure relief, and pressure point support. This makes them suitable for people with bad posture, or back issues like sciatica, fibromyalgia, scoliosis, etc.
For side and stomach sleeping positions
Firm mattress toppers are ideal for side and stomach sleepers for numerous reasons.
First of all, firm mattresses are usually 3″ thick, which is optimal for a topper to hold its shape and provide support. Moreover, the dense, high-quality foam materials usually prevent sinking and softness that might come from the mattress itself.
Furthermore, firm toppers provide pressure relief and additional support for pressure points; in case of stomach and side sleeping positions, the pressure is on the shoulders, hips, pelvic area, chest, and neck.
For hot sleepers
This isn’t usually talked about, but high-density, high-quality firm toppers can be excellent for hot sleepers and people who sweat excessively throughout the night.
The reason for that lies in the very natural, organic materials but also in the layering of the toppers. Usually, mattress toppers come with breathable, ventilated layers, made from organic foam, with cotton or wool.
Moreover, they promote the breathability of the mattress as well and do not retain heat. They’re also excellent when it comes to temperature distribution and usually provide an additional cooling effect.
For plus-size sleepers
Because the toppers are firm and made from dense foam, they are excellent for plus-size sleepers as well. If you have a mattress that is soft or medium-firm, adding a layer of extra thickness and firmness can change the sleeping experience completely.
High-quality mattress toppers are able to distribute the weight properly, provide additional pressure relief and support where it is needed, and generally conform to the body, regardless of the weight or size. This can be an extremely useful way to improve your sleep if you’re a plus-size sleeper.
Also Read: 12 Best Cooling Mattress Toppers in 2021
Sleep Trial and Warranty
When it comes to mattress toppers, a sleep trial period isn’t usually offered by the companies. Because this is a sleep accessory/aid, sleep trials seem unnecessary.
However, there are cases where a sleep trial is an option; for example, you can get the MOLECULE Triple Zone topper for a 30-night, risk-free trial, with free shipping and free returns.
On the other hand, when it comes to warranty, most of the mattress toppers come with a warranty; anywhere between one, five, or ten years limited warranty.
The warranty applies in cases of damage that has not occurred due to reckless use and lack of proper care. Before purchase, make sure to check each of the companies’ warranty and return policy for more information.
Even though mattress toppers are a great way to improve your current unit while also saving money, they can also be rather expensive. Of course, there are toppers you can buy that cost up to $100, which are still decent in quality, durability, and performance.
On the other hand, there are toppers that range between $200 to $400, and are, surely, luxury, high-quality items that will probably last longer and pay off in the long run.
So, discussing the price tag can be a little difficult, but what we can say is the following; if a topper is cheaper it doesn’t mean that it won’t be good, or if a topper is luxury and expensive, it doesn’t mean it won’t be bad. It truly all comes down to your budget and preferences of brands, quality, and sleep requirements.
That is why we’ve included a range of firm toppers you can choose from, including the ones that are cheaper and the ones that are expensive.
Best Firm Mattress Toppers We Recommend
1. Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-Topper Supreme – Firm
Recommended for: hot sleepers, people with back pain, back conditions, sleepers up to 230lbs
If you’re looking for a high-quality mattress topper, you should consider the TEMPUR-topper Supreme from Tempur-Pedic. This is currently one of the best toppers on the market, praised for its quality, durability, innovative design, and technology.
This topper will turn any kind of mattress into a high-quality sleeping surface; it will improve the spinal alignment, promote proper sleeping position, relieve pressure point pain, and generally improve the sleep quality.
- TEMPUR-Topper Supreme is 3″ thick, which is a standard thickness for mattress toppers. However, the difference between other units and the TEMPUR Supreme lies in the density of the memory foam; because of this, the Supreme topper is firm enough, which makes it suitable for people with back issues (as it provides comfort, contour, and support).
- Speaking of firmness, the Supreme topper lies between medium-firm to firm on the firmness scale (6-7 out of 10 on the scale of firmness). This makes the topper excellent for people with back pain issues, or people who simply want proper support for the pressure points and proper pressure relief.
- The unit is made from unique TEMPUR material that promotes breathability and a cooling effect. Moreover, the TEMPUR material and foam enable the topper to respond to any weight, shape, or temperature, which ensures proper adaptation to your body.
- This unit comes with a removable and washable cover. The cover is also mold, allergen, and dust mite dander resistant. It will ensure your topper stays clean and prevent the foam deterioration for years to come.
2. ViscoSoft High-Density Mattress Topper – Firm
Recommended for: back, side or stomach sleepers, hot sleepers, sleepers who deal with pressure point pain
If you’re looking for a topper that can soften a mattress that is too firm, or that can provide firmness to an old and sinking mattress, look no further.
The ViscoSoft is another Amazon best-selling mattress topper that people just love. It is praised for its innovative technology, sturdy and durable design as well as its affordability and price.
The unit ensures support, conformity, and contouring like no other topper; the secret lies in the high-density, gel-infused memory foam.
- The VicoSoft unit features a revolutionary, gel-infused memory foam which is often used in mattresses but not in mattress toppers. Because of this feature, the topper is optimized to fit any kind of sleeper or sleeping position. It makes it adjustable and enables comfortable and conformed sleep.
- The unit features a breathable, ventilated design. This ensures proper airflow, breathability, and a cooling sensation throughout the night. Moreover, the topper distributes the body heat evenly and ensures more relaxed and restful sleep.
- VicoSoft is designed by a team of experts who made comfort and support of the topper their priority. That is why the unit helps relieve pain, supports pressure points, and improves sleep quality significantly.
- The unit comes with a removable, washable, bamboo-rayon cover. The cover features a slip-resistant mesh with adjustable elastic straps. This means that the topper will be secured to the mattress, so you won’t have to spend additional time adjusting the topper every time you go to sleep.
3. MOLECULE Triple Zone Mattress Topper – Firm
Recommended for: hot sleepers, sleepers with back pain and pressure point pain, plus-size sleepers
The MOLECULE mattress topper is a luxury unit that is still budget-friendly and an excellent improvement to your current mattress.
The topper is designed by scientists, engineers, and sleep experts to maximize the support, firmness, comfort, and heat dissipation. It is believed that no other topper on the market meets such high standards when it comes to performance and quality.
If you’re looking for a truly good product that is high-quality, but still affordable, look no further than the MOLECULE Triple Zone topper.
- The MOLECULE Triple Zone topper comes with the advanced phase change cover, which is an innovative material responsible for thermal management. This means that the topper adjusts to the temperature of your body and provides an advanced cooling effect for a more comfortable sleep.
- The unit is 3″ thick, which is a standard thickness among quality mattress toppers. However, this unit stands out because it features three different layers, in those 3″ of thickness. For example, the first inch is the innovative cover, the second inch is the memory foam comfort layer, and the third inch is the dynamic response layer, hence the Triple Zone name.
- The unit is generally praised for its enhanced pressure relief technology. It significantly improves the performance of your current mattress by reducing the existing mattress pressure point. It also promotes proper spinal alignment, regardless of the sleeping position.
- Unlike other units, the MOLECULE Triple Zone topper is made from eco-friendly memory foam, produced by the highest environmental standards. The company uses an air-sealed chamber and carbon beds to scrub emissions (reducing it by 97%).
4. Avocado Green Organic Mattress Topper – Firm
Recommended for: hot sleepers, sleepers with back pain and pressure point pain, plus-size sleepers
Our final choice for the best firm mattress toppers is the Avocado Green latex topper. It is surely one of the best toppers you can find on the market.
The unit is made from organic latex, like the Avocado mattresses are, and features other organic materials, like certified cotton and New Zealand organic wool.
If you’re someone who truly wants to improve their mattress and change the way they sleep for the better, the Avocado Green mattress topper is a way to go.
Moreover, if you’re someone who cares about materials, origin, and their products being organic, Avocado also offers Vegan Mattress Toppers, made without wool.
- The Avocado Green topper is made from the best organic material one could find; the core of the topper is made from organic latex rubber foam, which is a high-performance material that offers durability, resilience, and temperature control. Unlike memory foam, latex foam is on a completely another level when it comes to firmness, support, and comfort.
- You can buy this topper by choosing from two firmness options; we recommend the Firm Topper because it uses D75 medium-firm to firm natural latex. This one provides exceptional firmness, support, and conformity without compromising comfort and gentle, cozy sleep.
- Because it is made from organic materials, this unit promotes breathability and cooling sensation completely naturally. The wool and the cotton adjust to the temperature of your body and promote a cooling effect through their thermoregulation properties. This will ensure a comfortable and restful sleep, every night.
- The Avocado Green topper is safe, non-toxic, and MADE SAFE certified. It is an eco-friendly product that doesn’t harm your health, health of your pets, or the ecosystem. This shows how serious and reliable the Avocado company is when it comes to their products and the production system.
We’ve Also Reviewed – Extra Firm Mattress Toppers
5. Arsuite Firm Latex Mattress Topper
In case the previous units don’t seem to be firm enough for you, we’ve decided to feature some toppers that are firm or extra firm on the comfort level scale.
One such unit comes from Arsuite; it is a unit made from Talalay latex and generally praised for its firmness, breathability, and support. The latex memory foam ensures pressure relief, pressure point support, and conformity throughout the night, regardless of the sleeping position.
Even though it is firm, the unit still promotes better circulation and ensures you get a good, restful sleep. The unit is also hypoallergenic, machine washable, and certified with Oeko-Tex latex foam Standard 100. It is suitable for back, stomach and side sleepers as well as medium- and plus-size sleepers.
6. Furinno HD Gel-Infused Mattress Topper
In case you’re looking for a firm mattress topper but don’t want to spend hundreds of dollars, the Furinno topper should do the work just fine. It is made to adjust the comfort levels of your current mattress while also being budget-friendly.
The unit promotes proper sleeping position, proper spinal alignment, and generally provides support and conformity; it conforms to the head, neck, shoulders, hips, and back. Because the memory foam is gel-infused, the topper is also very comfortable and doesn’t retain heat.
This makes it excellent for hot sleepers, people who sweat excessively throughout the night, or who are restless sleepers in general. The unit is also flame-resistant, hypoallergenic, and made from the 100% CertiPur-US Certified, ventilated HD memory foam.
7. Pure Green Natural Latex Firm Topper
This unit is made to meet even the highest requirements and standards when it comes to comfort level and sleep support. The Pure Green latex topper is one of the best selling extra firm mattress toppers on Amazon.
The reason for that lies in the fact that it is made from natural latex, which is dense and has no synthetic fillers. The unit is, therefore, not only firm but also durable, breathable, and provides exceptional comfort and support regardless of the weight, shape, size of the sleeper, or the sleeping position.
Customers can choose between 2″ and 3″ Pure Green topper. We recommend you go for the 3″ for that extra firmness and complete ‘mattress makeover’. The 3″ thickness will truly revitalize your current mattress and will significantly improve its firmness and comfort levels.
8. AmericanMade Foam Mattress Topper
Another best selling Amazon mattress topper is the American foam bed topper, made in the US. It is designed to provide firmness and support and completely make up for a sagging and old mattress. The unit ensures support and conformity to the body as is distributes the weight and the pressure evenly.
Furthermore, it provides a firm and supportive sleeping surface which makes it perfect for people with back pain, back conditions, or pressure point pain.
Because it is made in the US, according to the highest production standards, this unit is environmentally friendly (it falls under the ‘eco’ and ‘green’ terms).
The topper is also safe from harmful chemicals and allergens. Overall, this topper is a great way to improve your current mattress even with a tight budget.
We believe that these mattress toppers are currently the best ones on the market. The prices vary, but the quality is there with each product. We surely recommend you contact the companies for more information or concerns about the toppers.
You can also discuss payment methods since some companies offer monthly payments to make the toppers more accessible to their customers. Also, check for sales, discounts, or the companies’ official retailers where you can get these toppers for a much lower price.