If you’ve clicked on this article, chances are you’re trying to switch from soft to firm mattresses or you’ve been dealing with some back pain issues. Either way, changing mattress and buying a new one can be a difficult decision to make.
You’re not sure about the level of firmness you need, the price, the quality you’re getting, and whether you’ll adjust to the new mattress in the first place. That is why we’ve come up with a list of the currently best firm mattresses on the market.
Each mattress has undergone a detailed review, which we hope will help you make an easier final decision. So, without further ado, let’s get started!
How do we measure mattress firmness?
Mattress firmness is measure by a simple 1-10 scale. Here’s what the scale represents;
- 1 means that the mattress is extra soft; there is no support and it sinks completely under the pressure and weight of the body. Such units are the cheapest on the market and are really short-lasting.
- 2 – 3 means that the mattress is rather soft but the sinking is less drastic.
- 4 means that the mattress is soft but conforming to the body, with little sinking.
- 5 means that there softness to the mattress, but also conforming and a level of support to the body. There is also a little sinking happening.
- 6 means that the mattress has a perfect balance between support/firmness and softness/comfort. It conforms to the body perfectly and there is almost no sinking. This is where the price of the unit starts to increase.
- 7-8 means that the mattress is firm enough to conform to the body without plushness or sinking at all. These mattresses are usually the most expensive ones on the market.
- 9-10 means that the mattress is extra firm, and usually described as a hard surface that doesn’t conform to the body, and it also doesn’t sink.
People are usually recommended to sleep on mattresses that are between 6 and 8 on the scale of firmness. Such surfaces are supportive, firm, and comfortable enough to take care of the body while you sleep.
As always, before choosing the firmness levels of the mattress you’re about to purchase, it is important to do research and even consult with your doctor. Consultation with a medical professional is essential in cases of serious back pain problems or any other physical condition which affects your sleeping pattern and position.
More You Should Read:
Who should sleep on a firm mattress?
There are many factors that determine who should be sleeping on a firm mattress, and what type of firmness should they go for. Here’s what you should know;
- Sleepers between 130 and 230 pounds should sleep on medium-firm mattresses, between 6 – 7 on a scale of 10. Such units will conform to their bodies the best, without causing additional pressure and pain to pressure points. Moreover, they will experience pressure relief and adequate support to the back, neck, hips, and shoulders.
- Sleepers who are over 230 pounds should sleep firm mattresses, between 7 – 10 on a scale of 10. Such firm mattresses will conform properly to their bodies without causing extra sinking or pressure to the areas like the back or hips. Sufficient support in such cases is important, and firm or ultra-firm mattresses can surely deliver.
- Sleepers who like to sleep on their side need to sleep on medium-firm mattresses (up to 7 on the scale of 10). Because there is extra pressure on the hips there needs to be a little softness and even bounce to the mattress. Medium-firm units are the right choice for side-sleepers.
- Sleepers who prefer sleeping on the stomach should consider firm mattresses that have no sinking. Because you’re sleeping on the abdomen and the pelvis, you need extra support and stability in order to still keep the proper spine, neck, shoulder, and hip alignment. Firmness levels for stomach sleepers can go up to 8 on a scale of 10.
- Back sleepers, of course, should also sleep on firm mattresses because they also require extra support for the proper spinal alignment. If you don’t have any significant back issues, the firmness level of the mattress can be up to 7. People who experience severe back pain or suffer from issues like scoliosis or fibromyalgia should consider medium-firm units, of course in accordance with their doctor’s advice and prescription.
- People who are the so-called hot sleepers or people who experience frequent night sweats should sleep on firm mattresses. Such units tend to regulate temperature and have an airflow system. They also retain less body heat and make you feel cool and fresh throughout the night.
5 Best Firm Mattresses in 2020
The Bear Firm and Cooling Mattress
- Type of mattress – gel memory foam
- Firmness – Firm (6/7 on the scale of 10)
If you’re concerned about keeping a healthy sleeping position and having the spine correctly aligned, then the Bear Mattress is for you. This item is designed with your health in mind. To be more precise, it is a perfect unit for back sleepers, people who experience back pain or deal with serious back conditions (scoliosis, fibromyalgia, etc.). This item will keep you cool at night, adapt to your shape, size, and sleep position, and provide comfort and extra support where it’s needed. The mattress is supportive of the curve of the back and makes sure you won’t sink in while you sleep.
- The item features layers of gel memory foam. This allows you to stay fresh and cool throughout the night. The mattress manages to pull away extra body heat and keep the ideal sleeping temperature.
- The Baer mattress is a memory foam item; it features dense and responsive foam that adapts to your shape and sleeping position. Regardless of how you sleep, you will feel supported, especially your pressure points, like back, neck, shoulders, and hips.
- Alongside the dense foam layers, there is also the responsive transition foam, which is responsible for that extra support every firm mattress should have.
- The item features the so-called open-cell construction, which means that the whole mattress is breathable. It allows airflow and prevents overheating.
- The item comes with a breathable Celiant cover, which is a special material designed to help muscles recover during sleep.
- The firmness of the item is 6/7 on the scale of 10. This makes the mattress perfect for people who simply want a comfortable and good-quality unit, as well as for people who want a mattress that will help them with the health of their back, for example.
- The item comes with a 10-year limited warranty.
The Solaire Firm Mattress by Saatva
- Type of mattress – gel-infused memory foam (adjustable air mattress)
- Firmness – (8 on the scale of 10, but firmness can be adjustable)
Now, if you’re looking for a mattress that will provide lifelong support, stability, and comfort to you and your body, then you need to check this one out. The Solaire mattress by Saatva is a luxury item that features all the innovative sleeping technology one could think of. For starters, let’s just say that the item features adjustable firmness options, which stands for incredible comfort, precision performance, and support every night for the rest of your life. If you’ve never been excited about a mattress before, this one will surely get you excited.
- As mentioned, the item features personalized comfort, which is achieved through the individual controls and set of buttons. These controls allow you to set the firmness levels you want, even if it’s just for your side of the bed.
- The firmness of the unit is achieved also through the air chambers in the mattress. The air chambers contain a hidden pump that operates quietly and quickly. Each feature is protected through the moisture barrier within the item.
- The mattress is made from luxury, high-quality materials, like organic cotton, Talalay latex, and gel-infused memory foam. All of these materials occupy the six layers of the mattress, which makes it super durable and able to withstand decades of regular use.
- When it comes to firmness adjustment, there are 50 individual settings on each side of the unit. So, if you and your partner require different firmness, support, or comfort levels, you can each adjust the levels individually.
- Because this item is an adjustable air mattress, it is recommended for people who deal with back pain, arthritis, or back pain. A Consumer Reports survey has shown that over 60,000 people who experience such conditions and pain have been the most satisfied with adjustable air mattresses.
- The unit comes with a 25-year pro-rated warranty. All parts of the mattress are covered for the first 5 years, and all the labor costs are covered for the first 15years.
- The Solaire mattresses come with a 120-night, risk-free trial.
Beautyrest Silver 12” Extra Firm Innerspring Mattress
- Type of mattress – Innerspring
- Firmness – Extra firm (8/9 on the scale of 10)
The Beautyrest Silver is believed to be the most comfortable firm mattress on the market. Numerous customers claim that this mattress has given them the best sleep of their life. That is probably because this item features the incredibly innovative innerspring/coil system, where the coils are designed to be flexible and conform to the body’s movement and curvatures. Not to mention that these coils are placed between gel memory foam layers, which means additional support and comfort. The item also features DualCool Technology, which is one of the latest innovative ways of keeping the mattress fresh and cool, meeting the body’s ideal sleeping temperature throughout the night.
- The Beautyrest Silver features the Pocketed Coil technology, which is made to provide the ultimate flexible support. This means that the coils provide support for all the pressure points, and also isolate motion to keep your sleep uninterrupted.
- DualCool Technology is there to keep your mattress fresh and cool throughout the night. It maintains the ideal sleeping temperature, ensuring that you have a good night’s sleep even during the hottest days.
- The item is an innerspring type of mattress. However, it features layers of gel memory foam, which is there not to only provide comfort, but also support for the body’s pressure points. It also makes sure there is proper spinal alignment and that you keep a healthy sleeping position.
- The firmness of the item is 8/9 on a scale of 10. This means that it is perfect for plus-size users, people with back pain issues, people with neck, shoulders, and hips pain, as well as for people with conditions like fibromyalgia or scoliosis.
- The unit is hypoallergenic (cover material is cotton), compatible with an adjustable bed base, with a breathable construction and edge support.
- The item comes in different sizes; twin, twin XL, full size, queen size, king size, and California king size. Each item is 12” thick and contains 7 layers.
- The item comes with a 10-year manufacturer defects warranty.
Wayfair Sleep 10.5” Firm Hybrid Mattress
- Type of mattress – hybrid
- Firmness – Firm (7/8 on the scale of 10)
The Wayfair Sleep unit at first glance just a regular mattress. However, it is far from that; this item is a so-called foundation for a good night’s sleep. If you’re looking for a firm mattress, this one is not only firm but also features orthopedic support which also makes it comfortable and able to conform to your body. It is excellent for people who experience horrible back pain, who sleep in unhealthy positions or who experience pain in other pressure points. The item features a breathable construction, layers of memory foam, and a tight-top, polyester, hypoallergenic top filler material. It is a perfect combination of comfort, support, quality, and price.
- Because this item is a hybrid mattress, it has a wrapped coil base as well as layers of memory foam. This makes the overall construction extra firm, extra supportive as well as super comfortable.
- The unit provides orthopedic support, which makes it excellent for people experiencing back pain or back conditions like scoliosis of fibromyalgia. Moreover, because of the orthopedic support, the item is excellent for those dealing with neck, shoulder, hips, or leg pain.
- The item features a breathable construction and hypoallergenic materials. The mattress topper fill material is polyester, while the cover is made from cotton.
- For additional comfort, the item comes with a quilted cover, that adds extra softness and extra padding. This makes the mattress softer for people who find it too firm.
- The item features motion isolation technology, so your sleep stays uninterrupted throughout the night.
- You can choose between numerous sizes; the unit comes in twin, twin XL, full, queen, king, and California king size. Every size has a 10.5” thickness.
- The firmness of the mattress is 7/8 on a scale of 10. This makes it an excellent item for people who want a comfortable bed as well as for people who need that extra support and conforming for their body.
- The item comes with a 10-year manufacturer defects warranty.
The Plank Mattress
- Type of mattress – high-density polyfoam
- Firmness – (one side is 8, and the other side of the mattress is 10 on the scale of 10)
If you’re someone who likes to sleep on their side but can’t find the right mattress for that sleeping position, look no further. The Plank mattress is designed to create a natural spine position and proper sleeping posture regardless of how you sleep. This item is a two-sided mattress that features incredible firmness and comfort levels, as well as optional cooling on each side. It is truly made for people who generally cannot find a truly firm mattress. So, if you’re someone who deals with pressure point pain, back pain, pain in muscles and joints, or if you’re a plus-size user, the Plank is truly for you. No other unit will take care of your body like the Plank.
- The item is an easily flippable mattress, where one side is firm (8 on the scale of 10) and the other side is extra firm (10 on the scale of 10). This means that you can have a customizable sleep taking into consideration your needs.
- Both sides of the item are designed to provide support and to conform to your body. Moreover, both sides are also designed to reduce pressure on your circulatory system, which stands for better blood flow, and ultimately better back support.
- Because the item features smart technologies that take care of your back, pressure points, and back support, it also promotes breathing regulation and proper oxygen inhaling during sleep. That is why the Plank is also excellent for people with obstructive breathing conditions.
- The item features a cooling system on both sides, which means that it regulates and creates the ideal sleeping temperature.
- The mattress features high-density foam layers, and 2” of the firmest transitional TitanFlex foam, which contribute to the needed support and stability your body needs during sleep.
- Each Plank unit is handmade in the USA and comes with a 10-year warranty.
- The Plank’s Brooklyn Beeding company also offers a 120-night risk-free trial. They believe this is the amount of time necessary for you to adjust to sleeping on this ultra firm mattress.
We Also Reviewed (Good But Not Great)
If the previous mattresses didn’t seem to fit your budget or preferences, here are few more items we reviewed and think you might like;
This natural hybrid mattress is a blend of high-quality, luxury design, organic material, and premium support for your body. The unit features foam that is made from natural latex, from real rubber trees. It is a thick, firm mattress that is very supportive of all the body’s pressure points, but also stable and comfortable enough to provide a heavenly sleep. The mattress features a breathable New Zealand cotton cover, premium innerspring coils, and the contoured relief technology. It sure is on the pricier side, but we believe it is worthy of your investment.
This item features an adaptive foam that is constructed to provide not only support and comfort but also a little bounce to a firm mattress. The adaptive foam also ensures temperature regulation and keeps you at the ideal temperature during the sleep. The mattress is not too firm, it is between 6-7 on the scale of 10, which would be recommended as the perfect firmness level. It is pressure-relieving, supportive, keeps you cool, and is versatile. It is compatible with almost every foundation, frame, and box springs out there.
This cushion firm mattress has a responsive coil system to provide both support and comfort throughout the night. It features the Posturepedic technology, which is there to reinforce support and proper posture/sleeping position for people with back pain and spine issues. The item features a cooling system, which is responsible for temperature regulation, as well as edge and foam border system to expand and maximize the mattress size. The firmness of the mattress is between 8 and 9 on the scale of 10, which makes it firm. If you’re looking for a great balance between quality, support, durability, and price then you should consider this highly-rated unit.
This unit is probably one of the best firm mattresses that we can recommend to plus-size users. It is extra firm in all the right places and provides additional support and comfort without causing pressure and pain to the sensitive body areas. Your hips, neck, shoulder, and back will all be supported, even if you’re a side sleeper. The mattress features a cooling system, a breathable cover, and a hybrid design to regulate temperature and increase the airflow throughout the night.
Others About Firm Mattresses You Should Know
When buying a new mattress, there’s a lot you need to know, look for and research to make the best final decision. In the following paragraphs, we’ll try to answer and explain the most common questions regarding mattresses and the importance of the firmness factor.
What does mattress firmness mean?
The firmness of a mattress relates to the way it feels and how it behaves under the weight and movement of your body. For example, a soft or plushy mattress will sink under the pressure of your body and won’t provide support for the necessary areas throughout the night. On the other hand, firm units are harder in structure and don’t sink that easily or at all if they’re extra firm. Different types of mattresses have different firmness levels, of course.
Memory foam, hybrid, latex, and coil units seem to be some of the firmest out there. Firm mattresses are often recommended for people who want to keep a proper posture while sleeping, who experience back pain issues, pressure points pain (pain in the neck, hips, shoulders, and back area), pain in their muscles and joints, and people who are plus-size.
Why is firmness in a mattress so important?
Firmness in a mattress is important for numerous reasons. If a unit is firm, this means that it will provide the necessary support and stability while you sleep, and it will also last you longer and might withstand regular use up to 10 or 20 years. Firm mattresses usually feature several layers of memory foam, gel foam, latex foam, innerspring/coils, which all contribute to the quality, durability, functionality, and of course the firmness. Without firmness, mattresses would be a nightmare for the body. The softer the unit, the greater the damage to the back, neck, hips, and shoulders.
More You Shoud Know: