Floor mattress can easily be called an essential object in a household for various reasons. It is a great accommodation option for guests and family from abroad, a cozy and comfy bed during fun camping nights, and a space-saving alternative to chunky bed frames like box spring beds.
However, there are a lot of types of floor mattresses, which often makes shopping difficult. It doesn’t have to be a headache, as we wrote a compelling guide on how to shop for the best floor mattress. Additionally, we researched, tested, and reviewed the best floor mattresses of different types.
What Is A Floor Mattress?
Essentially, every mattress can be put on a floor and slept on, but there are specific types of mattresses that are suitable for sleeping on the floor. That said, floor mattresses are specifically designed to be laid on the floor and they aren’t compatible with any kind of bad frame. They are often used to save space in small rooms and apartments and get stored away when users wake up.
Floor mattress can be used in different situations, like when you have guests and need a portable way to save sleeping space away. They’re also used on the beach, on picnics, on camping. They simply have a wide spectrum of use. The ultimate purpose is to make sleeping on the floor more comfortable and bearable.
Why You Should Invest In A Floor Mattress?
There are a lot of benefits of floor mattresses and here are some of them.
- They save space. – It’s no secret that many people live in small rooms or apartments, which makes fitting a traditional bed frame and mattress impossible. This way, people can fold or roll their mattress away and free up the room for daily activities.
- They save money – A new bed frame and a really good mattress can cost up to thousands of dollars. Foldable mattresses save a lot of money and don’t compromise on comfort.
- They’re easy to transfer – They’re ideal companions for picnics, camping, and another way of traveling.
- They easily accommodate guests – If your family and friends have sleepovers at an often rate, owning a floor mattress is a great way to easily make them feel comfy and rested.
- Temperature regulation – If you’re sleeping close to the floor, you’ll often feel refreshed and cooled down, as opposed to sleeping on hefty memory foam mattresses that easily get hot.
Disadvantages Of Sleeping On A Floor Mattress
While there are a lot of benefits of sleeping on a floor mattress, there are also some drawbacks worth pointing out.Related:
- Is a Firm Mattress Better for Back Pain?
- Sleeping On The Floor: Good Or Bad Idea?
- Can You Put A Mattress On The Floor?
7 Best Floor Mattress in 2020
1. Best Overall: Milliard Tri-Folding Memory Foam Mattress
Searching for the best floor mattress can be difficult when you want to put all the features into consideration. However, after tough testing, we found that Milliard Tri Folding mattress made out of memory foam is the best floor mattress to consider. Here’s why.
The Milliard floor mattresses have always had something special to their prestigious quality and luxurious comfort. This particular model offers cool night rest and comfortable support regardless of sleeping position. It’s easily adjustable and easy to transfer anywhere you go. They can be used in absolutely any room because they fold, mobile home or on a picnic or camping site.
It uses plush and therapeutic 3lb memory foam that adds up to your support and balance. The tri-fold mattress is also very breathable and provides ventilated airflow to keep you cool at night. Additionally, it has CertiPUR US certification for the premium memory foam quality, engineered free of toxic materials.
Lastly, this memory foam tri-fold mattress ships with a removable jacquard cover that comes with anti-slip bottom. Also, you can wash the cover and dry it in a dryer with ease, without compromising the quality. Attaching and removing is easy and after washing, you’ll be left with a fresh and comfy bed.
- It uses premium CertiPUR-approved memory foam that conforms to your body and delivers seamless support and balance.
- Breathable fabric and construction make for the cool sleeping surface.
- Removable and washable fabric jacquard cover that is easy to attach and remove.
- Easily foldable and portable trifold design.
Drawback: You may notice that this model is more expensive. In addition to that, it doesn’t offer the sleep trial period which is an important aspect when it comes to buying a floor mattress.
2. Runner Up: Inofia Tri-Fold Memory Foam Floor Mattress
If Milliard option runs out of stock, Inofia’s tri-fold memory foam mattress is the second-best floor mattress to spring for. It is available in multiple sizes, dimensions, and options, although there is no King mattress. It’s important to note this mattress is portable, lightweight and transportable.
It is also easy to set up and use. All you have to do is unfold it and spread it on the floor, and it’s ready to use. It uses high-quality memory foam, with 6-inch thickness, it’ll easily resemble an original bed. The CertiPUR certification makes up for toxin-free memory foam that won’t catch fire or produce unattractive odor. It is great for rooms, mobile homes, tents, dorm rooms and any other occasion that includes mobility or unexpected guests or family.
Its 1.5-inch memory foam cover and 4.5-inch foam base make up for undisturbed night sleep, free of turning and swapping. The foam conforms to your body curves and hugs you to sleep. The best thing about this mattress is that it comes with a special Inofia guarantee, which includes a 100-night sleep trial, something that our first option doesn’t include.
- It’s a very thick mattress, which means it’ll closely resemble an actual bed and offer flawless support.
- Great support for people with heavier body build, as well as great-quality memory foam that cradles you to sleep.
- Hassle-free 10 years warranty.
- Premium materials are free of allergens and toxins.
- 100-night sleep trial that will help you see whether this mattress is the right one for you.
Drawbacks: Inofia floor mattress delivers premium comfort and sleeps quality. However, it’s not available in king and California king sizes, making it not the most flexible option. Additionally, it’s fairly more expensive compared to our first option.
3. Best Budget: D&D Futon Furniture Floor Mattress
If you’re looking for a more budget-friendly option D&D Futon Furniture floor mattress that closely resembles Japanese futon mattresses is a great investment. It is available in black color and measures 3-inch thick, making it an ideal mid-range mattress option for people wanting relatively firm support.
It ships with 90% white cotton construction and polyester fiber. There is 1-inch memory foam, approved by quality regulations and conforming to your body. It offers premium quality night rest and is an ideal option for children that play and unexpected guests and family reunions.
Sleeping in it is relatively easy, the foam hugs your body to sleep, and you can sleep in any sleeping position that you find fit. When it comes to maintenance, its black cover is sewn against it, so it’s impossible to wash. It is allowed to spot-clean it or let it rest on the sun. It is easy to roll or fold away and is built with lasting durability in mind.
- This floor mattress is a great value that easily saves space in your house or apartment.
- Ideal for children, guests and family reunions.
- Easy maintenance through spot cleaning and airing on the sun.
- A plushy layer of memory foam that adds up the balance and support.
Drawbacks: The information about the warranty is unavailable and the memory foam layer is too thin. If it’s maintained poorly, it can lose its quality over time, so careful folding and storage will help it live longer.
4. Best Convertible: Lucid 4″ Folding Mattress & Sofa
Lucid folding mattress and sofa is a more flexible way to enjoy a great night’s rest and daily use. It can be used both indoor and outdoor – for accommodating friends and family, children’s play, camping and traveling and much more. The sofa set offers comfortable seating, ideal for reading books or watching TV.
As Lucid states, it can also be used as a mattress topper, thanks to its cushioning and comfortable support. It’s also a great alternative to bunk beds and trundle beds. In addition to that, it is CertiPUR-US approved, which means there are no harmful odors, as well as allergens. Lucid uses hypoallergenic materials which means it resists bacteria and dust mites.
When it comes to comfort, it uses a thick layer of gel memory foam. It customizes and conforms your body curves in a way to reduce pressure and distribute the weight evenly. Additionally, its gel beads allow for the mattress to breathe and regulate airways to create a healthy and cool sleeping purpose.
Maintenance is easy, when you’re done using it, you can easily store it away because it’s portable and relatively lightweight. Also, the fabric cover is washable, which adds more to its maintenance and helps it last longer.
- It uses hypoallergenic materials which makes it ideal for children and people suffering from chronic asthma and other issues.
- Thick gel memory foam layer which makes it cool and balanced.
- It is easy to maintain, thanks to a washable fabric cover.
- It can be used for multiple purposes.
Drawbacks: Its fabric cover is easy to damage and rip. It’s recommended to use padding or a mattress cover. It might be uncomfortable for heavy sleepers.
5. Best Futon Floor Mattress: MAXYOYO Futon Mattress
MAXYOYO is a great company when it comes to rollable mattresses. It features both popular Tatami and Futon mattresses as well as hybrid. This model comes with multiple patterns and colors. This particular model uses triangles, but you can also shop for leaves, stars and moon, pineapples and others.
It’s extremely portable and lightweight, making it ideal for transport and traveling. It offers 4-inch thickness which is sufficient for great rest. It is easy to store because of a pair of bandages, as well as a canvas storage bag. We recommend storing it in a bag when not in use to preserve its quality and lifespan.
It offers great comfort and dustproof cover which means you don’t have to worry about bacteria and dust mites. Its quilted cover is super-comfy and it won’t scratch you or cause itching. The filling offers memory foam and decent support regardless of the sleeping position. It is great for children, guests, and family, because the memory foam conforms to your body, offering a perfect playground and sleeping surface.
- The dustproof cover is ideal for protection from bacteria and other germs, making it safe and medically approved for people with asthma and other conditions related to allergies.
- Uses brushed cotton cover and a thick layer of high-quality memory foam for extended balance and support.
- Ideal for multiple sleeping positions.
- Very versatile in use and available in a great variety of colors and patterns.
Drawbacks: There is no clear specification about the warranty, even though the mattress is kind of pricey. Also, the compression while shipping may cause the mattress to lose some of its thickness.
6. Best Thai Floor Mattress: Leewadee Roll-Up Thai Mattress
If you’re a fan of traditional Thai floor mattresses, Leewadee offers a great deal. This option that is available in more colors and patterns than you can count is a great investment for resting, lounging, reading and relaxation in general. Of course, it can be used for sleeping when you have guests.
It also comes with an Asian floor pillow filled by cushions that give it an extra balance as well as support if you’re at the shortage of pillows. What makes this option even better is that it easily rolls up and storing it away makes it more durable for use.
It’s worth noting that most of the material for the mattress is handmade, using responsible and chemically-approved materials. When it comes to comfort, of course, it can’t be used for long-term rest due to its low thickness, but it’s a great investment for camping or picnics. It’s portable and easy to roll up and carry. It is also a great back-up plan for guests and family.
- It is available in a great variety of colors and patterns.
- It’s handmade with love, using premium materials.
- It is a great value for the price.
- It is easy to store away and maintain.
Drawbacks: Unfortunately, these mattresses aren’t as durable as the other ones we listed here. They can only be used for short-term rest and traveling. Extended use may lead to back pain and possible discomfort.
7. Best Floor Mattress for Children: Olee Sleep Tri-Folding Memory Foam Mattress
One thing we mentioned is that these mattresses are great for children because they offer a reliable playground and safe sleeping surface that children will love. This tri-folding floor mattress is built with premium memory foam with soothing construction that delivers reliability and balance to your child’s bedroom. It can be used for both playing and sleeping, with a comfy cover that is removable and easy to clean.
- It is a great value and more affordable than other mattresses.
- It creates a comfortable and balanced environment for children when they play or rest.
- Stain-resisting surface makes it easy for children who tend to get messy.
- CertiPUR certification makes for clean material free of allergens.
Drawbacks: Its memory foam tends to deflate after some time. Careful storing and maintenance can help it live longer. It has only one year warranty.
How To Pick The Best Floor Mattress?
Below, we listed features to look for when shopping for the best floor mattress.
- Dimensions – Before going to shop for a floor mattress, it’s important to put some things into consideration like how many sleepers should this mattress accommodate, as well as the dimensions. Luckily, floor mattresses are available in all standard mattress sizes like twin, twin XL, queen, king, and California king.
- Firmness – Just like with the regular mattresses, firmness matters in a great matter. If you’re lightweight and enjoy the softness, plusher mattresses are the best. Heavier sleepers and those with intense and persistent rheumatic pain will find more comfort in firmer constructions (Know more about mattress comfort level).
- Temperature – As we already pointed out, sleeping closer to the floor means more cool sleeping experience. Check the memory foam amount and quality, as well as if there are some breathability and temperature regulative materials.
- Sleep trial – Many premium mattresses offer sleep trials that can last anywhere from 30 to 365 days. The floor mattress is no exception.
Types of floor mattresses
There are two main types of floor mattress:
Foldable floor mattress
Foldable mattresses can easily be stored away and they usually provide more comfort. In most occasions, they are also called tri-fold mattresses or bi-fold, if they consist of fewer layers. They are usually made out of memory foam base and boast additional comfort zones and layers which make them comfier than other types of mattresses. They are easy to store because they are equipped with small creases that allow each layer to stack on one over another. That also makes storing them fast and easy.
Rollable floor mattress
Rollable floor mattresses are much thinner and more affordable. They use cheaper materials and are usually less comfortable and have less support as opposed to the foldable floor mattresses. When they’re rolled in, they have a cylindrical shape which makes storing them even easier. Additionally, they ship with tie straps that make it a snug fit when it’s rolled.
Foldable vs. Rollable Floor Mattress
We will highlight the similarities and differences between the two mattresses to have a better understanding and easier time deciding on the best floor mattress.
Foldable floor mattresses ship with many memory foam layers. Additionally, they may come with a layer that conforms to your body. On the other hand, rollable floor mattresses come with one to two layers on rare occasions. They usually use cotton and synthetic fiber padding.
When it comes to covers that the two types use, foldable mattresses have removable covers that are usually washable as they’re made of synthetic and natural materials, mostly cotton and polyester. Rollable mattresses have a simple fabric cover, which isn’t removable, except on rare occasions.
Foldable mattresses are equipped with no-slip bases that keep the mattress fixed in a position. They boast textured rubber to strengthen friction and extra resistant materials. Rollable mattress, featuring no multiple layers aren’t equipped with no-slip bases, except in premium, thicker models.
Foldable mattresses boast greater thickness compared to the rollable mattress. For instance, they can be thick anywhere from two to eight inches. However, on average, good ones are available with thickness from four to six. On the other hand, rollable mattress thickness spans up to four inches, for those more premium and 2, for those average ones.
Foldable mattresses are easy to maintain as most of them boast a removable and washable cover which can be washed in a machine. On the other hand, the foam layers are spot-clean and aren’t recommended for washing as memory foam quality decays.
As mentioned above, rollable mattresses are mainly spot-on clean because you can’t remove their covers, as they’re sewn-in. Some more premium models sport removable cover which can be washed just as with foldable mattresses.
As you know, both of these mattress types are made to be portable, easy for moving and storage. But, does the same apply for traveling? Let’s find out.
Foldable mattresses are chunkier, but once you fold them you can easily fit them in your car or a van. They are usually too big to come with storing bags, as opposed to rollable mattresses that are easy to store away, come with travel bags and can be transferred with ease. In addition to that, rollable mattresses are lighter compared to foldable ones, making them a nice travel companion.
Because of rollable mattresses being less thick and providing less support, they are more affordable. Their price can go anywhere from $15 to $100, while a good and reliable foldable mattress can have the price-tag of up to $200.
Floor Mattress Frequently Asked Questions
The final decision is up to you. However, keep in mind that floor mattresses are a great investment and worth getting, especially if you live in a small home and have a lot of friends and family.
Floor mattresses save space and money and easily replace chunky and bulky bed frames and mattresses. Our compelling guide ensures to meet all quality standards and provide the best offer on different products. Let us know if it helped you!More Resources We Recommend: