So, you bought the best mattress in the world. When you lay on, it feels like you’re floating on a cloud, but after you wake up, you face difficulties getting up. Sore back, neck, and hips are often a result of a mattress that is too firm. Its firmness is concealed by premium materials and construction. Don’t worry, in this article, we reviewed the best latex mattress topper, which will help you relieve pressure from sore neck and back and ensure sound night rest.
Latex mattresses and mattress toppers had incredible growth in use over the past years. These mattresses are made mostly out of GOLS-certified organic natural latex and even people who have an allergy to latex can sleep on the vast majority of them because they’re encased in hypoallergenic cotton covers.
A latex mattress topper can be used for several reasons. Perhaps, your mattress is too firm, as mentioned above, and you need an extra layer of plush to rejuvenate your night rest.
Additionally, some people are heavier sleepers and the mattress they sleep on simply isn’t thick and high enough.
What these toppers aren’t for, is replacing an old, sinking, and sagging mattress that is only good for replacement.
A lot of manufacturers will tell you on their product pages that their mattress topper is firm and robust enough to give a few more years of life to a mattress that has sunk in too much. Don’t believe in that.
Note: While mattress toppers can give a short-term recovery that lasts a few months, and give support to a mattress that is in the early stage of sagging, they’re not magical mini-mattresses that will fix your entire bed.
Now that we clarified what mattress toppers are and what they’re not, let’s dig into the latex mattress toppers and how they work to make your overall rest experience great.
Understanding The Latex Mattress Topper
A Mattress topper is a cushiony layer that you place on top of your mattress to enhance your comfort. Hence, the name topper. There are a lot of popular materials that are used as a key compound for a mattress topper.
However, because of its unique and independent benefits, latex mattress toppers are among the most popular options.
Memory foam remains the most popular material for mattress toppers. Nevertheless, latex is more versatile because it delivers closer and deeper body contouring, and more importantly, it doesn’t require body temperature to conform to your body curves.
Memory foam, being a synthetic material, tends to trap heat and leave the sleepers feeling hot and uncomfortable. Sadly, breathable cotton covers and gel pressure-activated foam can’t add more breathability at times. That’s why latex, as an organic material, is more elastic which makes it more breathable and suitable for hot air exchange.
Latex mattress toppers help alleviate the pressure off the sleeper’s neck, lower back, and hips. They deliver just enough edge and surface support, but also conform to the sleeper’s body, helping to reduce the weight of joints and other parts of the body.
Needless to say, latex mattresses and toppers last longer, regardless of whether you pick an organic or all-natural latex topper.
Their versatility and elasticity help create better comfort and support with less density than you’d use with memory foam.
On the market, you’ll usually see that latex mattress toppers can measure thickness anywhere between 1.5-inches to 3-inches, in the plushiest options on the market. On the other hand, memory foam mattress toppers can go as high as 4-inches.
A perfect example of comparison would be Saatva’s mattress topper. It comes in multiple options and materials, but we’ll compare the graphite-infused memory foam and latex option. The graphite option sports 3-inch graphite gel-infused memory foam.
On the other hand, the Talalay Latex option provides just as much comfort and support with 1.5-inches Talalay latex foam.
Advantages & Disadvantages of Latex Mattress Toppers
Given their popularity, latex mattresses have a lot of advantages that make it even a better buy. However, just as much, they can come with some major drawbacks. Keep in mind that some of them can be a thing of your personal preference.
Benefits of Sleeping on Latex Mattress Topper
- It helps alleviate pressure from the main pressure points – neck, back, hips, knees.
- They have better temperature regulating properties than other materials.
- More elastic material with better conforming
- Extremely comfortable and soft feel, especially after sleeping on a spring mattress
- They’re durable and won’t lose their shaping all that easily.
- No VOCs – no harmful chemical in natural latex mattresses
- No off-gassing that usually accompanies memory foam mattresses
- Most toppers ship uncompressed, so it’s available in its full size immediately.
5 Best Latex Mattress Topper
1. Best Overall: Avocado Mattress Topper
Looking at all organic, all-natural, and environment-conscious options on the market, we couldn’t embrace the homey sensation that we do with the Avocado Mattress Topper.
- Available in all dimensions and firmness options, allowing adjustable choice.
- Made out of eco-friendly Dunlop latex, which we detailed in the buying guide.
- It is a good blend of quality and value.
- It comes with organic cotton cover and the addition of wool for excellent temperature regulation.
- No hot flashes and sweating in the night, you’ll sleep cool.
- 2-inches of pure latex.
- It’s hypoallergenic for people who are allergic to synthetic materials, dust mites, dander, and mold.
- 365-day sleep trial for outstanding results.
- Amazing 10 years warranty.
With those in mind, this organic latex mattress topper won over our hearts, but also dreams, because it can conform to any type of mattress as well as any type of sleeper and allow you to fall asleep within minutes
Avocado mattress topper is available in all dimensions, from twin to California king options. Also, it can accommodate sleepers with different sleeping preferences. It is available in all options, plush, medium, and firm. Nevertheless, it’s built so that it can soften even the hardest innerspring beds and transform your sleeping experience into something beautiful.
It uses 2-inches of certified latex which is more than enough to amount to a pillowtop of a mattress.
It’s extremely comfortable and uses Dunlop latex, which is more eco-friendly. Even though it’s made out of Dunlop latex, the topper is still breathable and generates consistent fresh airway that won’t leave you waking up with hot flashes and sweat. It’s suitable for all sleeping positions, for both single sleepers and couples.
It is the carrier of numerous certifications, including the GOTS and GOLS certifications for organic cotton and latex. Another standard that the company is proud of is the GREENGUARD Gold Certified meaning the topper is free of toxic emissions and VOCs.
Additionally, it uses an all-natural wool layer which also helps with breathability and temperature regulation. While it will keep you cozy and toasty in the winter nights, it’ll also cool you off during summer.
2. Runner Up: Birch Latex Mattress Topper
If the Avocado mattress topper is currently inaccessible to you, Birch latex mattress topper is a must check out.
The reasons are plenty, but if we had to point some of them out, it’s because it feels like sleeping on a marshmallow, while cool in the process, it’s flexible and available in all sizes your bed could wish for.
- High-quality Talalay latex which adds more breathability to your bedroom
- The bed feels lightweight and has great conforming capabilities
- Free of all toxic materials and GREENGUARD Gold Standard
- It adds better temperature regulation with cotton and wool
- 100-night sleep trial and 10 years warranty
- Hypoallergenic and anti-microbial features
Let’s start with the basics. Birch latex mattress topper houses Talalay latex, which is more breathable as well as lightweight. Nevertheless, it has an amazing conforming effect on all body types, although lightweight and people with moderate weight may find it more comfortable than heavier sleepers.
It is also a carrier of the numerous certifications, including GOTS and GREENGUARD Gold Standard certificate. The topper is safe from all toxic materials and is made out of pure and organic latex. Aside from the latex, you can also find additions of wool and cotton, which give it a more natural feel, as well as contribute to temperature regulation.
3. Best Budget: Latex for Less Mattress Topper
When it comes to picking the best budget mattress topper made out of latex, that’s not an easy task. Luckily, this versatile Oeko-Tex approved topper caught our attention.
We say versatile because, in addition to being able to choose the dimensions, you can also pick whether you want the 2 or 3-inch design.
- Great value and often discounted
- Oeko-Tex approved latex topper made out of Dunlop latex
- Lightweight, comfortable and plushy
- You can choose the firmness you want
- The thickness choice of 2 and 3 inches
- 120-night sleep trial and 5 years of warranty
It feels plush and cushiony, so it’ll provide the so long needed lower back pain relief you’ve been experiencing with your super-firm mattress. Regardless, it provides amazing comfort and will completely rejuvenate your sleep at an affordable price. It uses an organic Dunlop mattress which is breathable and lightweight compared to other types of mattresses.
It will also help you regain your cool sleep, thanks to the breathable and cool fabric that helps you stay dry of sweats and hots in the night. Also, the mattress topper is relatively silent so it won’t make your problems with keeping you up at night.
Lastly, you can pick the firmness of your mattress topper. A lot of people don’t pick firm, unless their mattress is in the early stages of sagging. However, if you already have a firm mattress, getting a soft or medium would be the best call.
4. Best for Side Sleepers: Plushbeds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
This is one of the most versatile options we found on the market. It’s not overly expensive and side sleepers can craft it and adjust it just the way you want.
- Holder of OEKO-TEX and GREENGUARD Gold certifications for high-quality standards
- Great value for the price and relatively affordable.
- Great conforming features, which are ideal for side sleepers
- Flexible settings for dimensions, firmness, and thickness
- Anti-microbial features which prevent bed bugs.
- 5 years warranty and prognosed 20-year lifespan
Complied with the OEKO-TEX and GREENGUARD Gold certificates, this mattress comes in all dimensions, and on top of that, it’s made out of organic latex in 4 firmness options, from extra plush to extra firm.
And, if that wasn’t enough Plushbeds mattress topper is available in two options – 2-inch and 3-inch thickness. That said, both lighter and heavier sleepers can enjoy this mattress topper to the top.
Needless to say, it’s extremely comfortable and it conforms to your body just like the most comfortable memory foam mattresses. It’ll help soften your firm mattress while relieving pain and pressure from your neck, back, and joints.
It boasts anti-allergy and antimicrobial features, although people who have a latex allergy are advised to use cotton sheets to encase the mattress topper. Also, the Talalay mattress is made so that it’s breathable and there’s no heat-trapping to activate the contouring. Sleep soundly and painlessly.
5. Best for Back Pain: Saatva Latex Mattress Topper:
Saatva’s quality became the standard in designing mattresses and toppers. That’s why we picked their latex mattress topper as the best option for people who experience back pain and need immediate pressure and pain relief.
- It uses Talalay latex of the highest quality to conform to your curves
- Great cooling properties and breathable temperature regulation.
- The 4-anchor band that will keep your topper in place.
- Distributes pressure evenly across the surface and helps you sleep painlessly
- Ideal for firm mattresses that give back pain, yet offer enough support
- 45 days return policy is ideal for testing
The topper comes with a 1.5-inch Talalay latex layer which naturally conforms to your body curves and cradles you to sleep. Perhaps, 1.5-inch won’t work for heavier sleepers, but remember that it provides seamless pain relief due to organic Talalay latex.
It also comes with secure-fit 4-anchor bands that snug under the mattress to provide ensured fit and no sliding of the topper. It’s also made out of hypoallergenic materials that provide ultimate protection from bed bugs, germs, and bacteria, while the quality of the Talalay mattress exceeds all our expectations not only in terms of comfort but also temperature regulation.
Things to Consider When Shopping for a Latex Mattress Topper
Every mattress topper comes with a different set of features, pros, and cons. Sometimes, the mattress topper may lack a feature or two at the cost of one better feature. In this section, we’ll highlight things to be attentive when shopping for a latex mattress topper.
Dimensions of your mattress toppers should always be corresponding dimensions of your original mattress. You can’t, and shouldn’t buy a topper that is larger or smaller compared to the mattress you use. Ensure to inform yourself about your mattress type and which topper you should use for it.
Don’t forget to check whether both still fit in your bed frame, so you don’t meet compatibility issues on that side.
Dunlop or Talalay Latex
Latex toppers are made out of two types of latex – Dunlop and Talalay. Both types of latex are influenced by their manufacturing process, so let’s give a brief explanation. Both are made out of rubber trees that are then molded and prepared for manufacturing.
Talalay latex is filled partially and then sealed with a vacuum. Before being ready for mass production, it’s also frozen in CO2 to be a better temperature regulator. The latex is then baked using the vulcanization method. Afterward, the latex is washed and prepared for selling.
On the other hand, Dunlop latex involves far less processing which means it’s more environmentally-friendly. That also makes it a more inexpensive option while also providing more support. Nevertheless, it accounts for less breathability, while the Talalay mattress is ideal for sweaty and hot sleepers.
Firmness plays an important role in the overall comfort of a mattress topper. Still, if you’ve been shopping for mattress previously, then you must know that the offered firmness levels involve plush, medium, and firm. The same goes for mattress toppers.
Firmer latex toppers are ideal for sleepers who tend to sleep on their back or stomach. Medium and plusher options are good for people who sleep on their side and want to sink in. Weight plays an important role in picking a mattress topper firmness. If you’re a heavier sleeper, you’ll probably prefer going medium to the firm topper, even with latex.
Price is an important factor in picking the right latex mattress topper. As we said above, they tend to be pricier, so it’s important not to buy the topper that accounts for more than half your mattress’ price. Latex mattress toppers can go anywhere from $150 to $400, while the latex mattresses are estimated to be far pricier.
Policy & Warranty
Most of the latex mattress toppers ship free of charge. However, their return policies, as well as warranties vary from model to model and company.
For example, there’ll be options that will offer between 30 and 60 days trial and a warranty of two to five years.
On the other hand, there are models with an all-year-long sleep trial, as well as a warranty that can last anywhere from five years to forever.
Other 5 Products We Also Reviewed
6. Best for Heavy Sleepers: Sleep on Latex Pure Green Mattress Topper
- It is comfortable compared to other mattress toppers in the price range.
- No off-gassing smells, 100% natural and free of synthetic materials.
- Medium firmness level which is great for heavier sleepers looking for extra thickness.
- It comes with a 5-year warranty.
If you’re a heavier sleeper, you should pick a thicker option. This particular option comes with a 3-inch thickness Talalay topper, with 5lbs per cubic foot. It provides a medium firmness level, but perhaps those who want the extra-soft sensation would lean towards softer construction.
7. Best for Hip Pain: SleepEz Natural Latex Topper
- It provides great value for the price
- Made out of eco-friendly Dunlop latex
- Comes with 2-inch and 3-inch options
- It conforms to your body and soothes your hip pain
Hip pain pressure in joints is not much different than the one you may feel in the lumbar region. However, with osteoarthritis, it can get even worse. This Natural Latex topper provides adequate night rest, that helps distribute pressure and conform to your body. Still, there are a few things we didn’t like.
8. Best Luxurious: Naturepedic EOS Organic Mattress Topper
- Adjustable firmness for the left and right side if you sleep with a partner.
- High-quality materials
- The 10-year warranty and 90 days of sleep trial.
- 3-inch and 4-inch profiles
It’s known that this option may not be everyone’s cup of tea due to the higher price, which is higher than the average price of a midrange mattress. However, Naturepedic EOS mattress topper comes with a 4-inch and 3-inch profile and allows for a lot of customizations for its GOLS-certified latex.
9. Best Cooling: Brentwood Home Cedar Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Breathable and well-ventilated Dunlop latex which feels lightweight and plush
- Medium-firm feel with 2-inch thickness
- GREENGUARD Gold certification for high-quality standards
- 1-year sleep trial and 10 years warranty
- Conforming and comfortable to sleep in for all types of sleepers.
Have you gotten tired of your old, firm mattress with poor temperature regulating properties? You should look no further than the Brentwood Home Cedar latex topper. You’ll fall in love with all of its properties, although there are other points worth making.
10. The Latex Factory: Natural Latex Mattress Topper
- Great value for the price, you can save a lot of money.
- The 3-inch thickness makes it ideal for both lightweight and heavier sleepers
- High-quality Dunlop mattress topper also saves the environment
- Hypoallergenic, free of mold, mildew, and dust mites.
If you’re looking for an affordable topper option which is hypoallergenic, has natural body-conforming properties, and is made out of breathable material such as Dunlop latex, look no further. This mattress topper works the best for people who want to soften their existing mattress but are restricted on the money.