Even though people may overlook the importance of a good mattress, the truth is, a good mattress can either enhance your life quality or worsen it. If you’re sleeping on an old, uncomfortable mattress, you will not only have to endure sleepless nights, but also the annoying back pain that comes with it.
The dangers of a bad mattress go beyond sleep and can extend to your overall health. Lack of good night’s sleep impacts your immune system, metabolism, mood, and general health. Having regular back pain and a bad mattress won’t surely contribute to the quality of your sleep.
If you’ve clicked on this article, chances are you’re thinking about getting a new mattress.
That is an excellent decision, as a new, good mattress might be the leading solution for your back pain problems. To make your decision easier, we’ve decided to present you with a list of the currently best mattresses on the market.
We believe the list will surely help you paint a picture of what you need and how different types of mattresses can relieve and prevent back pain. Let’s get started!
5 Best Mattress for Back Pain 2021: Detailed Reviews
1. Nectar – Best Overall Mattress for Back Pain
- Mattress type – Memory foam
- Firmness – Medium firm (6.5 on the scale of 10)
The Nectar memory foam mattress is made to provide the ultimate comfort for every type of sleeper. Whether you’re a light or heavy sleeper, or you suffer from back pain issues and need a supportive mattress; look no further.
Nectar mattresses, from Nectar Sleep, provide the ultimate levels of comfort, as well as enough support for your body and back. The pressure points are minimized with this mattress and it also provides the necessary relief beneath the shoulders, hips, legs, and back.
Unlike other mattress companies, the Nectar Sleep offers a 365-night, risk-free trial for their Nectar Memory Foam Mattress; they’re simply that sure you’re going to love sleeping on this perfect mattress.
Nectar Sleep also makes sure that the mattress is delivered fast, to your door, and they’re ready to refund the purchase if the mattress doesn’t fit your particular needs.
- The Nectar mattress features adaptive memory foam that is specifically made to fit people with back pain or pain to any of the pressure points. It ensures the proper spinal alignment, for any body type.
- The mattress also features a quilted memory foam mattress cover, that is soft and airy, ensuring additional comfort and coziness without disrupting the firmness where it is needed.
- The Nectar mattress is an award-winning mattress; it was the best overall mattress for 2019, as well as the best foam and best value mattress of last year.
- The cooling cover that the mattress features is completely removable and washable; it is also anti-bacterial and anti-allergenic.
- The Nectar mattress is bed-frame inclusive; it will fit traditional frames, as well as box spring, divan bases, platform, and adjustable bed bases.
- The Nectar mattress comes with a Forever Warranty; the company backs up the quality of the mattress and guarantee to be at your service, as they say, forever.
How does it help you fight back pain?
Nectar Sleep creates mattresses that are supposed to not only provide a good night’s sleep but also take care of your health. That is why the Nectar mattress was created with back pain (and other pressure points pain) in mind.
The mattress features a 5-layer supportive foam construction, that is adjustable to your body type as well as to the movement. It provides the support necessary for all of the pressure points houlders, neck, spine, lower back, hips, and legs).
The mattress promotes spine alignments, keeps your back pressure-free, but also conforms to your body’s curvatures in the most comfortable way possible.
2. Linenspa 8 Inch Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress – the best budget-friendly mattress
- Mattress Type – Innerspring
- Firmness – Medium firm (5 on the scale of 10)
The Linenspa memory foam hybrid mattress is a revolutionary new model on the market. The mattress features a layer of memory foam in addition to the already reliable support for a traditional spring mattress.
The memory foam layer is in the form of a soft, knitted cover that is placed over a 1.5-inch layer of comfort foam. This helps the mattress become an incredibly comfortable sleeping surface that conforms to the curves of the body and minimizes pressure points.
Because of these features, the Linenspa hybrid mattress is perfect for people who have to deal with both, upper and lower back pain. The mattress has a traditional bounce, firmness and softness, all necessary for a good sleep and comfort.
The Linenspa is one of Amazon’s Top Choice mattresses and is generally recommended for its overall great balance of quality and affordability. The mattress is very simple to set up, considering the item weight (55 pounds) and size (80x60x8 inches).
- Plush layer of memory foam helps align the spine to minimize pressure points.
- The mattress has a cozy, knit cover.
- The mattress is available in a medium-firm 8-inch profile, as well as in medium- and firm- 12-inch profile.
- The mattress has a posh hybrid design that provides ample support.
- The mattress features memory foam, comfort foam, and innerspring.
- The mattress is delivered rolled, in a box, and is easily unpacked and setup.
- The mattress weighs 55 pounds and is an 80x60x8 inch size.
- The mattress has a warranty of 10 years from the date of purchase.
How does it help you fight back pain?
The foam layer of the mattress prevents you from sinking in too much. Also, there is no feeling of the harsh springs hitting you in the back while you sleep. The mattress conforms completely to the spine and its curvature.
It also helps align the back and minimizes pressure points. If you think that the memory foam is going to make the mattress more squishy, you’re wrong. The top layer of the mattress is firm enough to prevent spine bending and uncomfortable positions.
Regardless of whether you suffer upper or back pain (or both), this mattress will provide relief and will help you get a good night’s sleep.
3. AllsWell Luxe Hybrid Mattress – the best innovative support mattress
- Mattress Type – Hybrid
- Firmness – Firm (7 on the scale of 10)
The AllsWell hybrid mattress is a luxury product that is intended to provide you the best sleep you ever got. The mattress features innovative, copper-infused memory foam as well as individually wrapped coils.
These features count for exceptional comfort as well as support your body’s needs during sleep. Moreover, not to confuse it with being too squishy, the mattress is also firm despite the memory foam.
Right of the box, you will notice the high quality of the mattress as well as the medium-firm feel to it. The AllsWell mattress is designed to conform to the curvatures of your body, hug them while you sleep and prevent back pain from occurring.
The copper-infused memory foam occupies two inches of the mattress and is made to resist all forms of bacterial growth or bed bugs.
This means that you won’t have to worry about the cleanliness of the mattress or your health. The mattress is also made to last you for years; its durability relies on the polyfoam boosts as well as the insulation of the coils.
All of this makes this AllsWell mattress an outstanding choice, both for your wallet as well as your back pain.
- The mattress features individually wrapped coils, that minimize motion transfer and provide support on all 4 sides.
- Additional support for all the pressure points in the body is provided by the 1-inch layer of high-density foam.
- The mattress does not only relieve back pain, but also muscle and joint pain utilizing the 2-inch layer of copper-infused memory foam.
- The plushy top of the mattress is made from the cooling, SwirlFoam, intended to keep your body temperature consistent throughout the day; this improves sleep and provides relief for the pain.
- The mattress is 60×79.5×12 in size (widht-length-heigth).
- The mattress has a 1/-year limited warranty for manufacturer defects and comes with a 100-night, risk-free trial.
How does it help you fight back pain?
Because AllsWell mattresses are made with four different materials and feature innovative memory foams, this makes them exceptional for people who suffer from upper or lower back pain.
The reason for that lies in the fact that the mattress isn’t too firm or too soft; it features medium firmness which is enough to support your pressure points and provide comfort and coziness at the same time.
Your spine, hips, neck, and legs will be aligned, especially if you’re a back sleeper. If you experience conditions like scoliosis and fibromyalgia, you might want to consider purchasing the mattress toppers for extra support and firmness.
4. TEMPUR-breeze Hybrid Medium Mattress – best luxury hybrid mattress
- Mattress Type – Memory foam
- Firmness – Medium firm (6-7 on the scale of 10)
Another innovative, sleep-transforming mattress on this list comes from the well-known mattress makers, Tempur-Pedic.
The Tempur – breeze is a smart mattress that is ultra-responsive to the movement of the body during sleep. That is because the mattress has a dynamically responsive feel as well as the support layer.
The mattress is also of medium firmness; however, you can choose other varieties of this mattress that are more or completely firm. This makes it easier for you to make a choice according to your needs, and particular back pain issues.
Regarding the Tempur – breeze, the mattress’s medium firmness makes it excellent for people who experience upper and lower back pain, but have no serious conditions.
The mattress provides necessary support and comfort. It also features smart technologies that make the material cool to touch and help your body regulate its temperature during sleep.
The breeze, all-night cooling system provides the necessary breathability and surface cooling effect.
- The mattress is designed with a support layer, that features innovative, final base, dense layer to provide airflow and support.
- Alongside the support layer, the mattress has three more layers; the Comfort layer, the Response layer, and the Base layer.
- All of the Tempur Pedic mattresses are feature a responsive technology, which means that they are designed to have a layer especially created to respond to your body’s activity and movement.
- The Tempur – breeze mattress is also equipped with the All-night cooling system cover, that keeps the surface fo the mattress cool and helps your skin breathe. The cover is easily removable and washable.
- The mattress has a 10-year limited warranty for manufacturer defects, and a 90-day, risk-free trial.
How does it help you fight back pain?
Tempur-Pedic mattresses are generally known for their conforming foams; Tempur – breeze is no exception.
This mattress conforms to the body completely, makes sure that the spine is properly aligned and that the whole body is in correct alignment regardless of the sleeping position.
Moreover, the conforming foam is also motion-isolating, so if your partner is a restless sleeper, you won’t be feeling their movements in the bed.
This mattress is made to provide you with a pain-free, good night’s sleep, and it also works to prevent the back pain from occurring again. It is especially comfortable and conforming to the body’s pressure points, so you don’t have to worry about shoulder, neck or other types of pain as well.
5. The Purple Mattress – the best Innovative Support Technology
- Mattress type – memory foam
- Firmness – medium-firm (6.5 on the scale of 10)
The Purple Mattress is known as the mattress that broke the Internet. It is a unique, premium-quality mattress that is excellent for all types of sleepers, as well as for dealing with the pain in your pressure points (like your back).
The mattress is of medium firmness, which makes it just right for a healthy dose of sleep and relief. Moreover, it is soft enough to hug the body, conform to the curvatures and to provide heavenly comfort.
The mattress features numerous innovative sleeping technologies. From the Purple Grid system to the motion-isolating technology, this mattress is an item everyone should have.
The Purple Mattress is proof that you don’t have to compromise between support, comfort, quality, and price; with this item, you can have it all. So, if you’re looking for the perfect mattress for your back, look no further.
- The Purple Mattress features the so-called Purple Grid; a system of instant, no pressure support, designed to flex under the pressure of your body and to provide maximum support to the pressure points (hips, back, legs, neck, shoulders).
- Because of the Purple Grid system, the mattress contains thousands of open-air channels that are meant to cool the mattress as you sleep. The mattress doesn’t retain heat and will keep you comfortable throughout the night.
- The Purple Mattress is not a regular memory foam mattress; this one features the CertiPUR-US certified, motion isolating foam base.
- The mattress is made with hyper-elastic polymer, which ensures that the mattress is durable and long-lasting; it won’t be breaking down after regular use like some memory foam mattresses.
- The Purple Mattress comes with a 10-year limited warranty, and a 100-day, risk-free trial period, which also ensures a full refund in case you want to return the mattress.
How does it help you fight back pain?
Because the mattress features the Purple Grid technology, it is believed to present excellent support and comfort for people who experience pain in their pressure points, primarily back, hips, and shoulders.
The mattress provides a floating feel, conforms to the body completely and supports it while you sleep.
The mattress is excellent for any type of sleeping position; for example, if your lower back hurts and you need to sleep on your side or the back, the mattress will relieve the pressure from that area and enable you a good night’s sleep. Not to mention that the mattress is motion-isolating and perfect for couples.
Must Check for Plus-Size Sleepers
We are aware that the recommended mattresses are not suitable for plus-size sleepers. That is why we’re featuring few more recommendations for plus-size sleepers who also experience back pain issues.
- The Big Fig Mattress– this mattress is built to provide comfort and support for the sleepers of a bigger figure.
The mattress is of hybrid construction and features smart, thermo-gel cooling technology. Because the mattress is firm (7.5 -8.5 on the scale of 10), we believe that it will be perfect for the big figure sleepers who also experience back pain, as well as pain in other pressure points.
- Helix Plus Mattress– the Helix Plus mattress is definitely built for everyone, but it is promoted as an excellent mattress for plus-size sleepers as well.
The mattress features an additional support layer and the highest density foam. This makes it durable, supportive in all the right places as well as comfortable.
The Memory Plus foam in the mattress is specially designed to react to the body shape and aid recovery for back and other types of pain.
- Loom and Leaf Mattress– this mattress is definitely a premium one; it provides pressure relief due to the high-density foam layers, it contours the body shape and because it is gel-infused, it keeps you cool throughout the night.
This mattress is usually commended for its extra support in the lumbar region, as well as because it is cotton-made, odorless and free from chemicals.
We believe it is perfect for plus-size sleepers who experience pain in the lower part of the back.
Features to Look for in a Mattress for Back Pain
Before purchasing any of the recommended mattresses, you need to take a look at this list of the mattress features you should look for; especially if you’re purchasing a mattress in regards to your back pain or special back conditions.
Type of mattress: Which one is back pain friendly
In order to choose the right mattress for your back pain, you should know which types of mattresses are out there;
- Memory foam mattress– this type of mattress is known for its great support and range of firmness.
It is a great choice for people with back pain, who do not only want support, but also comfort and coziness. Memory foam mattresses are great for basically any sleeping position since they always have your spine, neck, back and hips aligned properly.
- Gel mattress – in a gel mattress, the gel is added to the memory foam in the upholstery layer. That creates a different feel that might be unusual to people who’re using gel mattress for the first time.
Nevertheless, gel mattresses are excellent when it comes to weight and body heat distribution. However, we’re not sure that a gel mattress would be the best choice for someone with back pain issues, as these types of mattresses might be softer and easier to sink in that the memory foam ones.
- Innerspring mattress – innerspring, or coil mattresses rely on the inner metal springs for support.
The quality of the innerspring mattresses is usually low, and they tend to be much cheaper compared to, for example, memory foam mattresses.
They’re also not recommended for people with back pain, as the springs can cause discomfort and lack of support.
- Latex mattress – instead of memory foam, latex mattresses use latex foam, made from natural materials.
Latex mattresses can vary in firmness and can be adjustable for different types of sleepers, or for people with various back conditions, for example. These mattresses are not as dense and can be more plushy than memory foam mattresses.
- Adjustable bases – mattresses with adjustable bases are the best mattresses if you’re looking for full support.
The adjustable base mattresses can adjust the base to elevate your feet, head, or to provide more back or leg support.
These mattresses are great for people with a back problem, sleep apnea, problems with heartburn, acid reflux, joint, and muscle pain, etc.
Note: We don’t recommend mattresses with metal springs! These mattresses are usually cheaper and feature the basic pocket-coil system where the springs are placed between the fabric.
However, higher-quality spring mattresses can be more costly, as well as better for the back pain. Spring mattresses aren’t usually recommended for people with upper and back pain, but the mattresses where metal springs are placed between memory foam should be good to go.
Research has shown that spring mattresses cause sleep distress, increase restlessness as well as pain in pressure point areas.
Which firmness is best for back pain
When buying a mattress for back pain, the firmness is one of the most important features you should look out for. The firmness of the mattress can either cause harm or relief, so here’s what you should know;
- Medium-firm – the medium firmness of a mattress means that it is a 5 to 6.5 on the scale of 10. This means that the mattress has a surface that doesn’t sink too much or sinks to an extent.
Such mattress is also very comfortable and usually, just the right fit for people with pressure points pain, like back pain. According to research, medium-firm mattresses reduce pain-related disability in people, especially when it comes to back pain.
Medium-firm mattresses, however, are not recommended to plus-size sleepers, as the sinking will be more prominent, and with it comes discomfort and possible pain worsening.
- Firm – for the firm mattress we say the scale would be a 7-8 on the scale of 10. This means that the mattress has a surface that remains even, with little or no sinking even with plus-size sleepers.
However, a firm mattress might not conform to the body completely, or it would do so minimally. Firm mattresses can be used by people who experience back pain issues like scoliosis, fibromyalgia, etc.
- Extra-firm – extra firm mattresses are 9-10 on the scale of 10. This means that the mattress surface doesn’t sink at all, and there is almost no conforming to the curvature of the body.
Such mattresses aren’t recommended for people with back pain. However, they are recommended to people with back pain who are over 230 lbs, as the support and conforming for them would be ideal.
More Recommendations From Terry Cralle:
Works for the most family: 5 Best Medium Firm Mattress 2021 on Different Price Level
Works for some people back pain: 5 Best Firm Mattress Idle For Stomach Sleeper And Heavy People
Mattress accessories: Do They Matter?
In order to improve the support and comfort of a mattress, you should also consider purchasing some of the mattress accessories. In some cases, you might receive certain accessories with a mattress purchase, but most of the time this considers and additional purchase. Here’s what we think you might find useful;
- Mattress topper – a mattress topper presents an additional layer of padding on the mattress. The mattress topper can also be placed beneath the sheets for a better feel.
Mattress toppers can be used to increase the height of a mattress, to make it more supportive or comfortable. The toppers are excellent for cheaper mattresses, as they can improve their overall function even with a tight budget.
- Pillows – pillows may not be considered as mattress accessories, but sure they can be excellent additional support when needed.
In case your mattress doesn’t really promote spine alignment or it doesn’t provide enough support, you can always use additional pillows instead.
For example, in case of back pain, you can place a pillow underneath your lower back, under the knees or under the neck. This provides the necessary elevation and pressure relief your standard mattress is not giving you.
- Mattress protector – a mattress protector is not really essential for a good sleep, but it sure can at least protect your mattress and keep it bacteria and allergy-free.
Mattress protectors are excellent if you want to extend the durability and longevity of the mattress if you want to maintain a bacteria- and allergy-free sleeping environment as well as if you want to tone down your mattress (in case of metal coils).
Note: We haven’t included the soft mattresses on the list, since they are not recommended to sleep on, regardless of whether you suffer back pain or not.
Extremely soft mattresses aren’t durable, sag quickly and make you sink in too much while you sleep. They can cause or worsen back pain and pain to other pressure points.
Know the differences: Mattress Pad, Topper, or Protector: Which Is Best for Me?
Cheaper solution compared with a new mattress: 10 Best Mattress Topper For Back Pain 2021
Others to Check Before Buying
As a buyer, there is much more to know about a mattress purchase beyond just the type of mattress or firmness of the item. In order to get the best deal, and the mattress your back deserves, you need to pay attention to the following information;
- Custom mattress solutions – In case none of the recommended mattresses fit your needs, maybe you should consider getting a custom mattress.
A custom mattress solution means that you can get a mattress specially made to fit your sleeping needs, as well as your particular condition or issues.
If you suffer from back pain, you can get a custom mattress that is made to ease and prevent back pain by supporting your body the way you In case this idea sounds appealing to you, you can contact the Specialty Mattress for more information.
- Trial period – every respectable mattress company will offer a trial, risk-free period for its customers. Usually, the trial period lasts approximately 100 days.
However, there are companies that guarantee their mattresses so much that they give trial periods up to a year.
- Warranty – the mattress warranty should cover any physical defects in a mattress. One of the most common warranty issues is mattress sagging (the warranty usually covers sagging up to 1.5 inches).
The warranty for quality mattresses is usually up to 10 years, while mattress companies like Nectar offer the ‘Forever’ warranty and quality guarantee to the customers.
- Refund and shipping back – if after a trial you don’t like a certain mattress, you should be allowed to return it and get a refund.
Beware that certain companies don’t disclose such information, so before purchase make sure to check the return policy; meaning that you’ll be allowed to return the mattress and get a refund.
There have been cases where people were not paid back, and in addition, they had to pay the shipping themselves.
- Personal preference matters – sure, you’ll be getting numerous advice on which mattress you should choose. However, it is also important you choose a mattress type and style that fits your personal preferences.
If a certain mattress helps you sleep well, and has you waking up without back pain, that is the mattress for you, regardless of what others say.
A mattress needs to meet your standards for comfort and support, so make sure to take advantage of the trial period when you purchase a mattress; this will give you time to see whether the item fits your preferences.
- A balance between support and comfort – many people believe that buying a form mattress will solve all of their back pain problems.
They’re usually mistaken because incredibly firm mattresses can be rather uncomfortable. When choosing a mattress, make sure it provides both support and comfort.
We believe that medium-firm mattresses manage to achieve that balance, but it is still up to you and your preferences.