People strained from sleeping on their back and stomach enjoy the comfort of sleeping on the side. This sleep position that is among the most popular enjoys many benefits, including reduced back pain, as well as alleviation of symptoms like chronic snoring and sleep apnea. However, not all mattresses are suitable for side sleeping, which is why it’s important to highlight the best mattress for side sleepers 2020.
The first half of the article features a detailed and compelling buying guide that should assist you in buying the mattress for side sleeping that will be the most suitable for your needs and sleeping habits.
Benefits of Sleeping on the Side
It promotes healthy digestion
Our digestive system usually works slower when we’re sleeping. Still, when you’re sleeping on your side, the small intestine transfers the digested food into the large intestine. When you’re sleeping on your side, the entire process happens quicker.
Helps with heartburn
When we sleep on the left side, the stomach is positioned in a way that prevents the gastric juices to go up and cause heartburn, which can be unnerving when sleeping and can lead to different health issues.
It helps with back pain
When you sleep on the back for too long, it may be counter-effective for the overall health of the spine and alignment. When you switch from the side, you switch the pressure on your hips, promoting flexibility with your spine.
Read More: 8 Best Mattress for Back Pain in 2020
It can reduce chronic conditions
If you suffer from chronic snoring or sleep apnea, you may know that sleeping on your side can help you alleviate and sometimes even completely remove the effects of the two.
Drawbacks of Sleeping on the Side
While sleeping on the side is beneficial to your overall health, there are certain risks of sleeping on the side.
5 Best Mattress for Side Sleepers in 2020
1. Best Overall: Nectar Memory Foam Mattress
The Nectar mattress is the epitome of perfection when it comes to choosing a mattress that feels just right. It’s neither too firm, nor too plush, it feels just right for every sleeping position – but especially side sleeping (both ways.) It is exactly its premium design, features and how it performs that made us decide it’s the best mattress for side sleepers 2020.
Its 11-inch size can support 5-layer construction, and each layer works in its unique way to keep you rested and refreshed when you wake up. The 5-zone weight and pressure distribution work in a way to alleviate pain and pressure so that when you wake up, you don’t feel the strain on your hips, knees, and joints and that your spine is properly aligned.
Nectar mattress sports viscoelastic foam with 9.2-grade transition foam, with a vegetable base that adds up to the balance and support. In addition to the cooling foam, there’s a Tencel long-staple fiber cover that also contributes to a breezier night rest.
It is also supported by the CertiPUR-US certifications that make it clean of dangerous gases and emissions. It’s durable, and if you’re looking for a long and peaceful night rest, this is the best choice for sleeping on the side.
- This mattress is an amazing value. It boasts premium features and durable memory foam guaranteed to last for over a decade.
- Visco elastic memory foam naturally conforms to your curves, making it ideal for immediate sleep on the side.
- Cooling material and coverlet you sleep without sweating and feeling irritated.
- The material is hypoallergenic and acts as a shield against dander and dust mites.
- With great motion isolation, you can move and stand up without disturbing your partner.
- A year-long trial period and a lifetime warranty are exactly what you need to elevate the quality of your sleep onto the next level.
2. Runner Up: Saatva Classic Mattress
Our runner up option is Saatva Classic mattress, which for many reasons is as good as our prime. You can’t find a Chiropractor-approved mattress every day, and its extra-plush construction and filling are just what you need if you spend most of the night in the lateral position.
The 11.5-inch thick mattress comes with all possible setups. Still, for the sake of this review, we thought that the ultra-plush firmness corresponds just right to the side sleepers. In 2020, you deserve to have a luxurious mattress that feels premium on touch and even more prestigious while you sleep in it.
Its soft foam construction in combination with individually wrapped coils are ideal for those who prefer extra-soft sleeping surfaces, the ultra-contouring experience, and cradling. Not every mattress can offer that while delivering unprecedented comfort and balance. It also has excellent edge support, while the foam on it almost immediately adjusts to the shape of your body. It’s environmentally-friendly and sports the popular and reliable CertiPUR-US certification.
The cover that sits on top is cool and feels rather breezy instead of super-hot like some lower-range mattresses are. Additionally, the material is hypoallergenic, so you don’t have to worry about allergens swarming your bed. Lastly, this mattress can be used with any kind of bed frame and foundation, including box spring and adjustable beds.
- Individually wrapped coils in combination with high-grade plush materials isolate the motion and help you sleep like an angel.
- The ultra cushiony and soft top is great for side sleepers.
- The cover is environmentally friendly and hypoallergenic.
- Saatva’s mattress sports the amazing 120-night sleep trial, letting you test the bed for as long as needed.
- The amazing 15-years warranty is the testament of luxurious quality.
3. Best Budget: Avenco Foam Mattress
Avenco is a great company that silently produces some of the best memory foam mattresses, that feel plushy and cushiony enough to be considered ideal for sleeping on the side. What makes this model even better is that just accidentally, it appears to be budget-friendly.
Its memory foam is of high quality. As soon as you go to sleep, you’ll see that the unique formula steadily embraces you into the dreamland, contouring to your body, creating a healthy sleeping environment for side-sleepers. Aside from the high-density memory foam that supports you through the night, there is a gel layer that keeps you cool and relaxed. The contouring density is so good that it also isolates the motion, keeping it quiet, and not too bouncy.
It’s also hypoallergenic and backed by the CertiPUR-US standard. There are no harmful substances, nor anything else that could harm you in the bigger picture. It also has great maintenance. All you have to do is remove the cover with a zipper, and you can clean and wash it, without compromising its quality.
- It’s super-affordable, yet it delivers impeccable performance and stands out from the competition. It relieves pressure and distributes weight in a way it feels healthy.
- Hypoallergenic material shields you from the dust mites and bacteria.
- The cover can be washed in the washing machine.
- There are a 100-night sleep trial and reliable 10 years of warranty.
4. Best Latex Mattress: PlushBeds Botanical Bliss Mattress
If the memory foam no longer cuts it and you want to challenge yourself with an ideal latex mattress, there’s no better choice than PlushBeds Botanical Bliss. The features are outstanding and it’s one of the most durable and longest-lasting mattresses for side sleepers you can find in 2020.
You can choose different heights and firmness levels, although the ones we picked feel just right. The materials this mattress for side sleepers boasts are organic cotton cover, the New Zealand wool for soothing support and breathability, and organic latex for advanced pressure and weight relief. The organic cotton cover allows for additional temperature regulation, allowing you to sleep like a baby.
The reason latex mattresses are so good is because of their therapeutic properties and conforming feel despite the lack of memory foam. This mattress is praised by many chiropractors as well as other orthopedic experts, and we recommend it as well.
- Hypoallergenic material easily resists germs like mold and other microbial. Also, it shields against dander and dust allergens.
- It’s super-comfortable. The organic materials soothe your body parts and deliver the sleep of incomparable quality.
- The 100-night trial lets you test the quality of your heart’s content.
- The 25 years warranty feels just right.
5. Best Customizable: Ecosa Mattress
When we say customizable, we mean that you can adjust the firmness level as you like. Essentially, this mattress is medium, but if your preferences change, you can pump up its firmness and make it medium-firm. Still, despite its firmness, it’s an ideal asset for side sleepers, both lighter and heavier, to enjoy the night rest in their favorite pose, and wake up rested and refreshed.
It’s ideal both for those needing support for their hip pain, as well as those suffering from back pain. Its construction works in a way to distribute weight across the entire surface and provide a healthy sleeping environment.
It’s made out of premium materials, while also boasting gel memory foam to provide the mint quality of sleep and waterproof inner cover that makes it safe against spilling water or some other drink. Lastly, its materials are hypoallergenic so you don’t have to worry about dust mites and mold.
- Superior-quality gel memory foam, and multiple comfort layers that make this mattress as luxurious as it is.
- Adjustable firmness according to your personal preferences.
- Great 100-night trial.
- You can enjoy the durability and longevity free of all concerns with 15 years warranty.
Notes: It lacks proper edge support as opposed to the other mattresses we reviewed, as well as those in the same price range.
Features to Look into When Shopping for Best Mattress for Side Sleepers
Here are important tips to look into to make your shopping easier.
As it goes with all mattresses, it’s important to look into the material types. There are innerspring, memory foam, latex, hybrid, and airbed mattresses to choose from. In our experience with side sleeping, the best mattress would be the one made out of the memory foam and natural organic latex because of the contouring and adjusting sleeping surface, which hugs your bodily curves and provides balance and support.
Edge support refers to how good the mattress holds on its corners and edges. Some people like to sit and read, work, but some also sleep on the edge of the bed – mostly in the lateral position. Always check the reviews regarding edge support because you don’t want to sink or fall off the bed while asleep.
Side sleeping gets hot at times. Latex mattresses sport organic cotton covers that are breathable and help regulate the temperature. The same goes for most of the other types. As a synthetic material, memory foam is hot but with gel memory foam, you’ll be able to sleep like a baby, with no sweating or irritation when you wake up.
Good mattresses for side sleepers are usually more expensive than some basic mattresses because they require a higher density of the foam and other materials. Expect it to be anywhere from $500 up to $1500.
Most mattresses for side sleepers offer a warranty for 10 years. This should be the minimal value to be satisfied with. It can span up to 25 years, but our first pick, Nectar mattress boasts the lifetime warranty.
More premium companies offer sleep trial, during which you can test whether the mattress is the right one for you. We find this a great option for side sleepers who have difficulties making the right choice. Premium mattress manufacturers offer sleep trials from 90 days to a full year.
We Also Reviewed (Good But Not Great)
6. Avocado Vegan Mattress
If the environment and the planet matter to you, and you enjoy the vegan lifestyle, Avocado Vegan, which is a PETA-approved mattress is an ideal investment both in your sleep habits and preserving the planet.
We can’t begin to describe its amazing features. It is made out of organic cotton and latex, which allows you to sleep worry-free and relaxed. The hand-made button-tufted cover looks gorgeous and feels comfortable in the process.
This mattress will ensure you the comfort and support you need and feel healthy thanks to the numerous certifications and quality standards.
- The organic cotton and latex are healthy for the body and spirit. This mattress works in a way to elevate you and provide secure and snug sleep.
- You can invest in an additional pillow top to provide more support for your neck and shoulder.
- Ideal for side sleepers because the top naturally contours to your body curves.
- 5-zone construction.
- Amazing sleep trial and a 25-year warranty.
Drawbacks: Given its latex design, it may not be for everyone if you’re allergic to it, despite it being organic. Also, With a pillow top, this mattress may be overly expensive.
7. Helix Sleep Sunset Mattress
Helix Sleep Sunset mattress was designed with side sleepers in mind. Its soft sleeping surface will embrace every sleeper who enjoys the quality of sleeping on the side, while also being durable and sturdy. It feels like an ultra-soft cloud that sails you into the dreamland. Its hybrid design is made to be contouring to the body curves while also providing the necessary temperature regulation and breathability. Here’s what it has in store.
- It sports two front layers that are ultra plushy for the flawless support towards side sleepers.
- This mattress boasts great temperature regulation in the hot summer night and properly distributes the heat across the surface.
- It alleviates pressure and distributes weight evenly across the multiple zones.
- You can test the mattress for 100 nights.
- There is a 10 year warranty.
Drawbacks: A mattress this soft isn’t for everyone, particularly for heavier sleepers who may have a sinking sensation and may end up with even more pain and disturbances than before.
8. Casper Original Mattress
Casper Original mattress is great for side sleepers because it sports an all-foam construction. That means that it’ll cradle and embrace you for the night rest. You don’t have to worry about the high-density foam warming you up. Instead, it’s balanced with gel-infused foam to make you feel cool at night and prevent heat-waves and sweating at night.
The mattress consists of three zones, and each one of them offers the individual balance and support towards the part of your body that needs it the most. That way, your back is properly aligned even when you sleep on the side, and you won’t have to worry about curving. The foam is softer at the shoulders, but firmer under the hips to provide support for joints and knees.
- The foam is breathable to provide uncompromised support and regulate temperature at all times.
- Promotes long and relaxing night rest.
- Amazing 10 years warranty
- It provides a 100-night free trial.
- It’s especially good for lower back and hip support.
Drawbacks: Similarly as with the aforementioned model, this mattress doesn’t provide sufficient support for the heavy sleepers. Alternatively, this mattress is too plush to provide enough support for sleeping on the back, in case you or your partner choose to prefer back rather than side rest.
9. Classic Brand 12-inch Hybrid Mattress
Classic Brands offers an amazing 12-inch mattress boasting both innerspring coils and memory foam. The innerspring coils are individually wrapped to boast additional support The mattress also boasts a detailed and quilted pillow top to add extra support for the shoulders and head.
- Breathable cover and foam technology with gel-infused beads add up to the quality of sleep and breathability of the mattress.
- Super-comfortable and restful sleeping experience.
- Pressure-relieving technology with extra-support on hips, knees, and joints.
- The cover is naturally hypoallergenic and protects from the mold, bacteria and dust mites.
- Long-lasting 12 years warranty.
Drawbacks: One thing we minded about this mattress is that it doesn’t come with free sleep trial, but that doesn’t compromise its great comfort. Still, it may be too firm for light sleepers.
10. Ashley Furniture Signature Design Memory Foam Mattress
This mattress in a box boasts luxurious quality. If you are struggling to find the right design for your side sleeping habits, you may have found one of the best mid-range companions for a long and peaceful sleep. This 12-inch mattress uses body-contouring memory foam, that cradles and relieves pressure, making it ideal for those looking to reduce pressure on the spine.
- Great weight and pressure relief, provides amazing night rest and promotes deep and peaceful sleep.
- It’s easy to maintain and uses hypoallergenic materials to reduce the affection from dander and dust mites.
- It reduces motion and helps you sleep in peace.
- Amazing 10-year warranty.
- Super cool and doesn’t heat up even over the hot summer nights.
Drawbacks: It may feel way too plush for heavier sleepers. Sleeping on the back or stomach will give the sensation of sinking too much. It arrives compressed and at times takes too long to expand.
Frequently Asked Questions
Despite the side-sleeping position being one of the most popular sleeping styles, finding the right soft mattress is nowhere near easy.
Luckily, the detailed buying guide and comprehensive reviews should be more than enough to find a reliable and cushiony mattress that will allow you to sleep on the side easier.
Don’t forget to consider all the features when shopping for the mattress and choose the option that meets all your requirements. Don’t forget the contouring support and strain relief.