Modern mattresses vastly advanced in terms of comfort, materials, and features they offer. However, their prices also skyrocketed. If you have children or pets, then you must know how difficult it can be to keep your mattress clean at all times. If you want to help your mattress serve you longer, while keeping it clean in the process, look at our best mattress protector reviews and compelling buying guide we wrote.
What is a Mattress Protector?
A mattress cover or a protector is a piece of fabric that either covers your mattress’ top surface or surrounds it with an encasing. Either way, this piece of fabric is supposed to protect your mattress from damage.
It’s specially designed for expensive mattresses that need coverage and protection from bed bugs or spills and sweat (memory foam mattress) which can compromise its durability and quality. It can passively add a layer of comfort to your bedding, but it shouldn’t replace the overall comfort of your mattress, topper, or padding.
It’s no secret that a lot of people confuse mattress protector for a mattress pad, or even worse, a mattress topper. It’s worth noting that this material wasn’t designed purely to offer comfort and improve the overall support of your existing mattress.
That’s why we designed the comparison between mattress toppers, pads, and protectors which will help you get a better understanding of how all 3 to help you sleep comfier.
Meanwhile, we understand how competitive and saturated the mattress industry got over the past few years. That’s why we crafted this buying guide to educate you on the best practices of choosing the right mattress protector. Keep scrolling and reading along, and by the time you read this post and check our reviews, you’ll become a mattress protector expert!Also Read: Do I Need A Mattress Protector?
Types of Mattress Protector
As we said above, depending on manufacturer, materials, and style, experts can differ between two types of mattress protectors, let’s take a look at them.
Mattress covers are usually mattress protectors made out of cotton that simply lay over your mattress and mattress topper (if you have one.) To keep it in a fixed position so it wouldn’t slip while you lay on it, manufacturers usually attach straps that cover the lower corners of your mattress and keep it attached.
Straps are elastic and versatile, so this option sounds more plausible for people who have larger mattresses and are worried about whether the cover will fit.
Mattress encasement protector simply works by fitting your entire mattress and closing it, either with a fitted sheet or a zipper, depending on the manufacturer. Here are the two most common types that you’ll find on the market:
- Fitted Protectors look quite like fitted bed sheets. They are equipped with elastic edges that can spread all across the surface of the mattress and cover it in entirety. It’s important to note that they have a bit lighter construction and are thereby cheaper. However, they still offer durable and hypoallergenic protection, while being waterproof most of the time.
- Zippered Protectors are similar to the fitted sheets, except that you can package your mattress in a zipped case and protect it in entirety. This option is great for those seeking ultimate protection because fitted sheets can’t always open it. Additionally, this option works better for flappable mattresses, but there may not be too many options for super-thick mattresses.
Is Mattress Protector Necessary?
It’s not necessary but it helps protect your mattress for bed bugs, sweating, allergies, spills, bedwetting, and much more. It comes with a great variety of benefits such as extended comfort and even cooling properties, should you pick a mattress protector that easily cools. With that in mind, you can get a mattress protector to assist you in various ways to improve your mattress’s longevity.
Benefits & Drawbacks of Using Mattress Protector
There are a plethora of benefits of using a mattress protector, but they might not work just for everyone. Check out both sides and see for yourself.
Benefits of Using Mattress Protector
- It can keep your mattress free of dirt and stains
- It improves the longevity of your mattress
- It allows you to sleep healthier and breathe better thanks to the hypoallergenic construction
- No more creepy crawlies and other bed bugs
- It subconsciously improves the comfort of your bed
- Some options are waterproof, so they give additional protection from bed wetting and spills.
- They are machine-washable, unlike mattress toppers and pads.
- They mostly don’t produce any sort of off-gassing.
5 Best Mattress Protector We Recommend 2021
1. Best Overall: Nectar Mattress Protector
Taking care of your mattress’s lifespan is much easier when there’s a mattress protector such as Nectar. That’s why we chose this mattress maker’s protector as our personal favorite, and now you’ll see why.
It’s a beautiful slip-free cover that attaches under your sheet which prevents slipping and sliding. Your sheets and protector will stay fitted, even during the most restless nights.
- It provides support for mattresses of up to 22-inches
- Mid-range protector with seamless and silky design with impeccable quality
- It’s made out of waterproof materials and has noise protection.
- Hypoallergenic while also boasting the no-slip feature
- Machine-washable design
- It feels cool.
- 5 years warranty and a 50-night sleep trial.
Nectar protector was made with families in mind. When we say families, we also mean pets, with endless curiosity to discover everything, including your bedroom, without leaving the dirty paw stains across your bed. Additionally, this protector is children-friendly and will protect from all stains and spills.
The protector is available in all sizes and designs, which means it’s suitable to be used by both children and adults, preventing bedwetting, spills, and everything else. It’s hypoallergenic and can fit beds of up to 22-inches, which means all types of mattresses and their respective mattress toppers should fit.
It feels soft and silky to touch, meaning it won’t interrupt your sleep or make you feel uncomfortable at night. Additionally, the protector is machine-washable, which means that even if some stain pops off, you will be able to wash it off with ease with cold or lukewarm water.
2. Runner Up: Avocado Mattress Protector
Avocado Mattress is a company known for designing gorgeous and practical organic and all-natural latex mattresses and other sleep equipment. As of recent, they introduced the mattress protector, and as they say, it’s the best investment to preventing smaller accidents on your bed, including wetting, stains, dirt, and others.
- Although it doesn’t specify the threshold of mattress height, it works like a fitted sheet and will fit the vast majority of mattresses.
- It’s made out of carbon-free materials, which makes it more environment-friendly.
- Uses polyurethane to ensure that it’s waterproof without producing too much noise
- Organic GOTS cover which adds up to the breathability.
- Great temperature regulation
- Hypoallergenic so it works for people who are allergic to dust mites or have asthma.
- Amazing 100-night trials
It uses polyurethane to make the protector absorbent and resisting. However, to ensure that the cover feels cool, it surrounded it by two layers of GOTs organic cotton, which not only feels cooler but also adds comfort to your bed. Thanks to the reliable layers of cotton, you can easily remove it from your bed and wash it in a machine, regardless of the water temperature.
Another great thing about this protector is that it doesn’t use loud materials such as vinyl and others. The protector will comfortably fit against your bed, while also being hypoallergenic and seamlessly comfortable. It also boasts small fine pores that improve the breathability of the protector and allow all potential moisture to getaway.
3. Best Budget: LUCID Mattress Protector
Don’t worry, you don’t have to pay hundreds of dollars to get a good mattress protector. LUCID exceeds at crafting mattresses with love at an affordable price. Its mattress protector is no exception and in addition to all its features, it’s a great value for the price.
- Offers zipped protection to mattresses from 6-inches to 22-inches of height
- Great value for the price and extremely affordable
- Boasts zipped design, meaning it incases the entire mattress
- It’s thin which means it won’t affect your mattress’ cooling technology
- It offers up to 15 years warranty
It uses a 100% waterproof design that can take care of any fluids you throw at it. Additionally, even if something gets it stained or dirty, you can easily wash it in the washing machine and dry it in the dryer. Additionally, instead of using vinyl and other loud compounds, it is made out of polyurethane.
When it comes to allergies, this mattress is allergy-resistant. People who have problems with a blocked nose in the morning or asthma attack can rest assured that they will sleep soundly on this model. Additionally, its ultra-thin design makes it more breathable and allows for more proper airflow through the topper. It being thin also won’t affect the cooling properties of your mattress, meaning it won’t be blocked.
This mattress protector is compatible with the vast majority of mattress designs and can be attached to mattress up to 22-inches of height.
4. Best for Cool Sleep: SlumberCloud Mattress Protector
Do you remember that company that engineers cooling technologies in bed that resemble that of NASA’s astronaut suits? Well, this is the one, SlumberCloud makes pillows, mattresses, pads, and much more. If you’re looking for uncompromised mattress protection that will keep you cool in the process, look no further.
- Engineered with amazing NASA Outlast technology which helps protector stay cool
- Made out of durable and smooth materials
- Not loud, even though it’s waterproof
- It’s resistant to all types of spills and fluids
- Made out of hypoallergenic materials
- 60-night sleep trial
This 100% waterproof protector will protect you from all stains, whether they’re made out of dirt or fluids. It helps protect your mattresses from water, sweat, bladder accidents, and whatnot. It’ll help extend your mattress’s lifespan while keeping you comfortable and cool in the process.
It uses Outlast technology, a special NASA-approved system that helps improve the air circulation in the material and release the excess heat out of it, without compromising your sleep quality. The Xelerate fabric adds up to the breathability and ensures that the bed is kept moist-free but also cool and dry.
It’s made out of a special HDPE polyester cover, which keeps it silent. You can toss and turn all you want, but the protector will stay silent and won’t affect the experience you get from your mattress. It also has an easy-grip system that can cover any mattress from 5 to 20-inches.
Lastly, the SlumberCloud mattress protector is made out of hypoallergenic materials, that help repel insects, germs, bacteria, mold, and other creepy crawlies that sneak up your sheets. It’s also relatively easy maintenance, especially because you can just toss it to your washing machine and clean it out.
5. Best Hypoallergenic: Nest Bedding: The Cool Mattress Protector
While reviewing, we couldn’t choose between the SlumberCloud and Nest Bedding protector when it came to cool options, both are breathable and breezy. Nevertheless, the Cool Mattress Protector is better for those who are looking for full mattress protection.
- A great mix of cooling and hypoallergenic materials
- Great sleeping quality
- Improves overall sleep quality as your nose won’t get blocked in the morning
- Full-encasing providing a complete mattress protection
- It provides a great lifetime warranty
- Flexible financing options
It’s made out of hypoallergenic materials so that your entire mattress will be resistant to dust mites, bacteria, mold, and other allergens that contribute to worsening your sleeping quality. In addition to that, this mattress protector can also keep you cool at night, so no need to toss around and wake up all sweaty and hot.
It provides support for mattresses of up to 18-inches. While this isn’t bad, it also means that thicker mattresses, if equipped with a pillowtop or a mattress topper, may not be able to fit in. Nevertheless, it’s not extremely loud so it won’t affect your sleep quality.
Shopping for a Mattress Protector: Things to Consider
And finally, it’s time to look at the features and other aspects that account for shopping a good mattress protector. Let’s go through them together.
The thickness of Your Mattress
The thickness of your mattress is an important feature to look at because some protectors that have encased construction may not fit on your mattress. When reading the product listing, be sure to read the specifications of the mattress protector so that you can be sure your mattress will fit.
Additionally, be sure to measure the thickness of your mattress to be able to have an easier time picking the right protector, especially if you talk to a salesperson or customer support.
One of the key features of a good mattress protector is being waterproof. That’s because people face various challenges when taking food or water to bed. It needs to be spill-resistant and provide sufficient support for water not to reach the mattress, especially if it’s a memory foam mattress that doesn’t forgive moisture.
Note: Keep in mind that waterproof mattress protectors boast special materials that make it louder. That said, you may feel disturbed by the noise if you’re too sensitive.
Good mattress protectors, mostly those branded and pricier will come with cool features that make it much better to use, especially on memory foam mattresses to get warm. Always pursue a mattress protector with any level of cooling, so that you can have breezy nights and avoid hot flashes and other inconveniences.
Mattress protectors can use standalone materials or a blend of different materials including cotton, silk, linen, down and down alternative, polyester, vinyl, or polyurethane.
Keep in mind that the vinyl and polyurethane protectors are usually used in waterproof protectors, so check the label for these materials when you’re purchasing a mattress protector.
Good mattress protectors are made out of cotton, linen, silk, or other materials that add up to its comfort and ease of use. If you’re worried about bed bugs, dust mites, mold, and other germs, choosing a hypoallergenic mattress protector is of utmost importance.
Other Mattress Protector You Can Also Consider
6. Best for Kids: SafeRest Mattress Protector
- Waterproof material and great noise reduction technology.
- Made out of cotton cover to provide seamless and gliding comfort
- It’s hypoallergenic and it won’t cause a rash, eczema, asthma, and other allergic reactions.
- 10 years warranty
- Great affordability
Needless to say, this mattress is protector is available in all sizes you can think of. Hence, it’s not only for children. Nevertheless, this mattress has the best waterproof resistance in terms of preventing bedwetting from going wrong, bed bugs, water, and food spills, and much more. Look at the features and see for yourselves!
7. Best Encased Mattress Protector: Brooklyn Bedding Mattress Encasement
- Waterproof polyester makes the mattress safe from spills and other small accidents
- Easy to care for with the washing machine.
- It won’t compromise the quality of your mattress or reduce its cooling
- It won’t shrink after washing.
- 120-night sleep trial to check its quality
Mattress encasement is growing in popularity because they provide complete 360-degree protection, especially for people who are sensitive to some allergens. This encasement will protect you from all bed bugs, dust mites, and microbial threats.
8. Best Organic Option: PlushBeds Cotton Mattress Protector
- Polyurethane protection from spills, with proper noise reduction
- Made from GOTS certified cotton cover to add more breathability
- Easily fits under the sheets and won’t slip.
This organic mattress protector is made out of GOTS certified cotton and praised from the biggest names in the mattress industry. However, not all of its features are as appealing as they look.
9. Best Luxury: TempurPedic Tempur Protect Mattress Protector
- Stretchable and secure fit that won’t slip off your mattress.
- A waterproof mesh that protects from all kinds of spills, bedwetting, and sweat. It’s quiet in the process.
- Hypoallergenic materials that close the mattress and keep you from unwanted reactions
- 10 years of warranty.
Made out of special TempurMesh material, TempurPedic provides luxurious experience applicable for all types of beds, from twin to California King, including the split king where you can pick sides. It’s waterproof, silent, and doesn’t compromise your mattress’ quality.
10. Casper Mattress Protector
- Made out of various waterproof materials that provide silent sleep experience and ultimate protection
- It is cool and breathable and won’t eliminate the cooling effect of your mattress
- Great value for the price
- Great fit for any mattress
If you’re looking for a midrange mattress protector that won’t heat up your bed and make noise, while providing unprecedented comfort, look no further than Casper mattress protector.