Many people face backache especially after waking up. If the back pain is persistent to a point it keeps waking you up, it’s possible that your mattress sank and wore off. There are two options.
One is to buy a new mattress which can be expensive and time-consuming. The other option is to invest in a mattress topper. Mattress toppers have exponentially grown in popularity over the last years because they help rejuvenate mattresses with a tendency to sink. Perhaps, it’s the solution for you too.
In this article, we reviewed ten toppers and compiled their most notable highlights. Additionally, we also included all the necessary tips in picking the best mattress topper for back pain.
How Mattress Toppers Aid Back Pain?
Many studies have it that 80% of people experience lower back pain at least once in their life.
With another study concluding that we spend one-third of our lives sleeping, we can say that sleeping, in great matter can decide on the health of our spine. Here’s what can cause back pain and bad posture.
- Sitting for too long.
- Not being physically active.
- Poor posture.
- Being overweight or obese.
- Sleeping in a poor position.
While most of these factors can’t be solved without certain lifestyle changes, sleeping in the wrong position can. It’s widely accepted that mattress toppers rejuvenate and add the necessary support or plush that your mattress may not have.
Another study showed that most people who made these lifestyle changes and bought a proper mattress topper for back pain, fixed the problems with it. They promote healthy sleeping by fixing our body’s posture and distributing our weight and pressure in a way that each part of body gets to relax.
Why You Should Buy A Mattress Topper For Your Bad Back?
Mattress toppers have various benefits to them. Below, you’ll see why picking a decent mattress topper will be a good idea for you and preserving your back.
- It helps adjust firmness – Sometimes shopping for a new mattress may leave you with a great mattress although a bit too firm or too plush. Mattress toppers in such situations help adjust the level of firmness that feels just right.
- It rejuvenates your old bed – If your mattress is moderately damaged or has begun to sag, a new mattress topper may seem like a refreshment. Keep in mind mattress topper isn’t always a solution to this problem.
- It aids various problems – Mattress topper will also help you adjust between two different levels of comfort and will help you overcome problems with choosing the healthiest sleeping position. Additionally, if you have problems with your back and your mattress feels uncomfortable, the new topper will add up a new comfort level you’ve been missing.
- It alleviates spine problems – Mattress topper for back pain also reduces stress points from conditions like arthritis and scoliosis. The equal weight distribution alleviates pain in other body parts like neck, shoulders, knees or hips that are caused by a poor posture.
Mattress Topper Won’t Work If
What Else You Need to Know
Are mattress toppers the same as mattress pads?
The similarity between the two terms often leads to them being mistakenly confused. Essentially, mattress pads are thin layers of cotton or some other material that sheet the mattress and protect it from warming up or moisture. On the other hand, mattress toppers are much thicker and add up more materials that contribute to better comfort and more support on the back.
What’s the right thickness to help with back pain?
It should be enough thick to support your weigh against the mattress that’s beneath. Mattress toppers should be anywhere between 2 and 4 inches thick. Usually, there are no pads thicker than 4 to 5 inches, while 1-inch topper may not suffice enough comfort standards to be considered a good pick.
Can a good mattress topper for back pain help pregnant women?
As women who are expecting enter second and third trimester, they can expect the strain and pressure on their spine to increase. They’ll often find themselves sleeping on their back and a good topper should alleviate pressure and keep the spine in a healthy position. Best toppers would be medium to medium-firm to give a balance to stress points on the spine.
- How to Sleep with a Pregnancy Pillow(6 Types)
- Sleep Solutions for Pregnancy Heartburn Relief: 8 Useful Tips
6 Best Mattress Topper for Back Pain We Recommend
#1 Best Overall: Sleep Innovations 4-inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
We conducted careful and dedicated research on the best mattress topper for back pain using the criteria we described in the buying guide. However, no mattress topper provided the quality and balance compared to the Sleep innovations gel memory foam mattress topper. Below, we’ll describe what exactly made us fall in love with the premium quality.
This queen-sized mattress topper, available in different sizes offers a 4-inch of reliable thickness that conforms to your body and makes for the luxurious night rest. There is a dual layer of quilted fiberfill and gel-infused memory foam. It offers a personalized sleeping experience that is balanced and will keep you comfy throughout the whole night.
With its dual layer of quilted fiber, this topper provides two times the comfort of traditional mattress toppers. There are 2-inches of quilted fiberfill while another half of the thickness makes for the gel memory foam. The quilted fiberfill will make you feel as if you’re sleeping on the cloud and will make up for all the necessary comfort and balance for different body zones.
When it comes to the memory foam, it is customizable, flexible and will adjust and conform to your body’s shape within the first few nights of use. Additionally, it’s infused with gel which makes for the breezing night rest, preventing the foam from getting hot and causing you to sweat. Instead, it delivers a convenient and cool sleeping surface.
On top of everything, the cover is washable and usable after drying. The quality of the memory foam is great as it’s durable so it can be washed in the machine multiple times, as well as easily removed and attached to the topper. Lastly, this topper comes with a great 10-year warranty.
- The topper offers seamless comfort thanks to the balanced amount of quilted fiber and memory foam that easily conforms to your body.
- Memory foam uses gel infusions to provide a more reliable air circulation which makes for a cool night rest, less turning and swapping. Also, you’ll sweat less.
- You can wash the topper cover in the washing machine, as well as dry in the dryer.
- It’s conveniently rolled and pressed to ensure a safe trip to your home.
- It offers a ten-year warranty which can match the lifespan of most of the mattresses available on the market.
If you want to know more memory foam mattress topper, check this post.
#2 Runner Up: LUCID Lavender Foam Mattress
The LUCID lavender-infused foam mattress is the second choice when it comes to picking the best mattress topper for back pain. Back pain can come for multiple reasons – your mattress is too soft and it causes your back to sink which results in the incorrect sleeping pose, or your mattress is too hard and firm, causing discomfort at the lower part of your back. This mattress can fix both. It can provide extra support and balance for beds that are too soft while softening the sleeping surface of firm mattresses.
It offers premium plushness and a relaxing sensation. You’ll wake up refreshed and rested every morning, with back pain guaranteed to gradually subside or disappear. We found that this model may rather appeal to firmer mattresses. The topper uses lavender-infused foam to ensure more comfort and breathability as air circulates in a natural way to prevent sweating and waking up all hot.
This mattress is extremely comfortable, it conforms to your body and uses customizing adjusting to fit your body and provide optimal support. More importantly, it contours in a way to adjust to your spine and its therapeutic needs.
- It boasts a similar design as our first option. The top 2-inch layer provides a breathable and cool sleeping surface for more comfort.
- Contouring design that works in a way to align your spine and alleviate pain and discomfort.
- Primarily, this mattress offers more value because it’s more affordable than our first option.
- It is great for all sleeping positions, as it delivers plushy sensation against the new firm mattresses.
#3 Best Budget Mattress Topper: – Linenspa 2-inch Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Linenspa’s 2-inch memory foam topper is a budget-friendly option to rejuvenate your old mattress or soften an extremely firm one. The 2-inch body-contouring memory foam customizes to your body to reduce or eliminate back pain, depending on its severity. They blend into your firm mattress making it more plushy and allowing consumers to sink into the softness and mushiness.
It is important to note that it is equipped with special gel beads that regulate the temperature and distribute it evenly across the topper. That way, no part of your body will feel too hot or too cold. It will feel just right and every morning you will wake up refreshed and get great night sleep.
Overall, it offers a great sleeping experience because this medically-approved foam will distribute the weight and relieve the pressure put on your back. That makes it a great option for people to experience difficulty falling asleep, as well as waking up due to persistent back pain.
- A luxurious level of plushness makes for the extra-comfortable sleeping experience.
- It is helpful for both people experiencing intensive back and neck pain, and those who have difficulties falling asleep.
- Medically-approved design that contours to your body and special gel beads that regulate temperature.
- It’s a great value because it allows you to fix your sleeping problems at an affordable and approachable price without replacing the entire mattress.
#4 Mattress Topper For Extra Thickness: LUCID 4 Inch Gel Memory Foam Mattress Topper
For many reasons, this topper is similar to our runner up option. However, lavender has great cooling features for both mind and body, as well as a lot of calming and relaxing properties. The thickness between this option and the other one is the same, although this one offers better support and balance for sleepers looking for long-term quality rest.
The gel memory foam offers ventilated breathability for the mattress topper providing conforming sensation, as well as telepathic properties for sleepers experiencing back pain, which then gets relieved and eliminated. This mattress topper is great for sleepers because extra support provides more cradling feeling compared to thinner toppers.
The weight is distributed evenly which promotes healthy sleeping habits, in addition to breathability and temperature regulation. There are less pressure and sleepers can have a lasting and uninterrupted rest.
- Extra-thick memory foam and quilted fiber which contributes to better support and multiple-zone weight distribution.
- The memory foam is gel-infused and it adds up to cooler sleeping experience and better pressure distribution.
- Alleviates back and neck pain, making for lasting rest and better overall sleeping quality.
#5 Best Firm: Linenspa 3-inch Gel Memory Mattress Topper
Even though the specification says it’s quite plush, Linenspa 3-inch topper is more than enough to provide firm support for those who need extra support on their older mattress. It conforms to all your curves and easily cradles you tight for a long, relaxing and soothing sleep, free of waking up, turning and switching.
It uses 100% Polyurethane memory foam, with infused gel beads that are effective at regulating temperature and distributing the heat and pressure evenly on the bed so the sleepers can wake up without feeling hot or heated up. This mattress topper is in a great matter similar to our budget option which sports a 2-inch profile. However, it is much better because it will embrace your body more naturally and provide the much-needed support your spine needs not to feel pain.
While this mattress topper serves mostly to prolong the life of a sinking mattress delivering the needed balance in the early days of mattress sinking if you own a mattress that is too firm, yet you prefer firm mattresses, this one will balance the extra firmness and make it just right and healthy for your spine.
- It naturally cradles your body and hugs your body to provide extra comfort and support.
- Great temperature distribution, thanks to the special gel beads.
- Even pressure distribution which in great matter reduces your back pain and offers firm support for straight sleeping.
#6 Best Plush Mattress Topper: Lucid 3-inch Mattress Topper
We have reviewed a lot of toppers that work to soften incredibly hard and firm mattresses. If you feel that 4-inch toppers may be too much, here’s a 3-inch topper we found to be of great quality. It adds the plushness and super-comfort for lasting and soothing night rest. This topper will make you feel as if you’re on the cloud thanks to the even pressure distribution over shoulders, hips, and knees. It is responsive, soft, soothing and breathable.
- It offers a great and relaxing softness that many firm mattress owners need.
- It has an even weight and pressure distribution over different parts of the body.
- Gel-infused memory foam has cooling properties that won’t leave you sweaty when you wake up.
Features to consider when shopping for a mattress topper for back pain
- Type(Memory Foam, Latex, Polyester Blend, Wool or Feather) – Memory foam mattresses are great, but they can easily heat up and make you feel uncomfortable and sweaty during the night. Try to look for other materials with better temperature regulation properties. Alternatively, look for gel-infused memory foam or covers with more breathability and ways to cool your body as you sleep. Latex mattresses are also good, because they offer the necessary support for back and are ideal for treating some conditions. Wool and feather mattress toppers are rarer in the market which makes them more expensive. Finally, polyester-blend mattresses may be more approachable but they feel like a quick-sand which makes them sink and sag faster, doing more damage than good.
- Thickness – When shopping for a mattress topper for back pain, but the thickness of the topper into consideration. Some heavier people need extra support which can often result in needing a topper as much as 4 inches thick. More budget-friendly options will boast 2 to 3 inches of thickness which may suffice if the material is good.
- Fit – If you own a queen mattress, you can’t buy a king-size mattress topper. It simply won’t fit. That said, before you head over to a shop, ensure to know the size and dimensions of your mattress so you don’t make a mistake while shopping.
- Price – Keep in mind that mattress topper will usually cost half the price of your actual mattress. That said, if you’re aiming for more expensive mattress toppers, it’s better to invest in a budget mattress. In this link, we included the best budget mattresses to catch your interest.
- Conditions – Consult the seller or your doctor about which mattress topper for back pain works the best with conditions like scoliosis, arthritis, spinal stenosis and others.
We Also Reviewed(Good But Not Great)
#7 Tempur-Pedic TEMPUR-ProForm Supreme 3-Inch Full Mattress Topper
Tempur-Pedic ProForm 3-inch topper sports supreme, luxurious memory foam with extra comfort and support that conforms to your body’s curves, delivering flawless night rest. It’s extremely comfortable and offers extra balance to those experiencing back pain.
- It easily adapts to your body and its body temperature to regulate it.
- It has a washable cover.
- It has multi-purpose use. It can be used as a sleeping pad in guest rooms.
Drawbacks: It is way more expensive than other mattress toppers, meaning it’s suitable for more premium mattresses. There’s no point in buying a topper pricing as much as a mattress itself.
#8 Laura land Memory Foam Mattress Topper
Laura land Memory foam mattress will rejuvenate your old mattress and soften harder mattresses. It’s extremely cushy and comfortable and uses durable materials that promote healthy and long night rest, with temperature regulation features and a lot of great features.
- It is a great value because it restores your mattress in a way to deliver support and balance.
- It uses super-durable materials and high-quality memory foam.
- Active Cooling Technology adds breathability and even temperature distribution.
- It has great customer support and a 30-day trial.
Drawbacks: This model sports only 2-inch support, which may not work with all mattress designs, as well as people who are heavier and are looking for extra support.
#9 Milemont Mattress Topper
Milemont mattress topper will resurrect and breathe in new life to every old mattress with its 3-inch of the pure memory foam thickness. It will cradle you into the dreamland and allow you to wake up refreshed and free of an exhausting back issue. Thanks to the superior memory foam, it will easily distribute the weight from your body to the mattress. It’s available in different sizes.
- Extra comfortable memory foam helps relieve pressure and provide soothing rest.
- Temperature regulating gel beads helps reduce the temperature of the mattress without waking you up in a sweat.
- It is customizable and available in a great variety of sizes.
Drawbacks: It takes a long time to expand and doesn’t have a washable cover like some other mattresses. Moreover, its price-tag is discouraging compared to thicker options on the list.
#10 DreamFoam Gel Swirl Memory Foam Topper
DreamFoam 2-inch topper help infuses extra foamy support to your old mattress that can’t keep you asleep and gives persistent back pain. The 2-inch gel memory foam will help you feel rested again while adding the all-necessary balance and support over a worn-out mattress.
- It helps distribute pressure and heat evenly so that the entire body feels rested.
- Promotes and encourages healthy sleeping positions, reducing back pain.
- Uses gel swirl infusion to provide the necessary breeze sleep.
- It is a great value.
Drawbacks: As mentioned with some other models, the 2-inch thickness may not be enough to provide support for some heavier people. Also, we complain that it could be way too soft.
Now that we reviewed the most important aspects of mattress toppers and how they alleviate back pain and promote healthy spine positions, it’s time to head over and purchase one according to your needs.
Alternatively, if you think your already-existing mattress is up to no good any longer, it’s time to check out a new mattress. Our site boasts a great number of comfy and premium mattress model that will restore your bedroom. Make sure to check them out!