Many people prefer sleeping on a medium firm mattress for several reasons. First and foremost, it’s rarely possible to satisfy everyone. Plush mattresses may sink too much. Firm mattresses, while healthy can have counter-effective consequences if they’re too firm.
But, how do we find the balance we need for a sufficient and relaxing night rest. We wrote a comprehensive guide on how to shop for the best medium firm mattress and included 10 medium-firm mattresses that can refresh your bed.
Who Should Sleep On The Medium-firm Mattress?
Sometimes it’s difficult to determine whether a medium-firm mattress is a right option for you. If you find yourself in the group we listed below, you should consider getting a medium-firm mattress, as it may be more beneficial to your health and night rest.
People who sleep on multiple sides – There are stomach sleepers, side sleepers, and back sleepers, and then there are sleepers who are never comfortable enough and often found shifting sides overnight. If you’re never satisfied with one position, that means that the medium-firm will fit all your needs and conform to your body despite a sleeping position, especially for side- and stomach sleepers.
People with average or slightly above average BMI – It’s widely accepted that the more you weigh, the more support you need. People who have average BMI or are considered slightly overweight can rather benefit from a medium-firm mattress than a firm mattress. Plusher mattress may sink too fast, while the firm mattress may be too hard to sleep on and disturb a night rest.
People with poor posture – If you have moderately poor posture or a slight posture, getting a firm mattress could be counter-productive. Medium-firm mattress will help you align your spine and get rid of annoying back pain you can’t explain in the morning.
How To Choose The Right Mattress Firmness?
How to be sure that the medium-firm mattress is the right one for you. If the previous paragraph hasn’t convinced you, it’s time to learn how to choose the right firmness level.
- Soft – 1-2
- Medium-soft – 3-4
- Medium-firm – 5-7
- Firm – 8-10
This article focuses on reviewing mostly medium-firm mattresses. But before you can buy a medium-firm mattress with certainty it’d be best to check the difference between medium-soft and medium-firm mattresses.
Medium-soft mattress refers to a combination of plushness and medium-firm feeling. Consumers are looking for a balance of a mattress that feels plush and cushy, it’s firmer than regular plush mattresses. It’s ideal for lightweight people who need equal balance support and pressure distribution that will ensure more comfort.
However, they’re not that good for people who need high-end pressure relief for their back. They mostly use memory foam that is a snug fit inside the multiple comfort layers. Alternatively, they can also use synthetic latex.
Medium-firm mattresses are considered universal, and most medium mattresses are simply considered medium-firm. Medium-firm mattresses contour and customize to the body shape, although they are more bouncy compared to other mattresses.
They are stable and firm, have a strong foundation to support both lightweight and those with above-average BMI, although not extreme.
It’s great for multiple positions but the stomach and side sleepers get the most support from them. Also, they can accommodate both heavier sleepers and light sleepers.
Notes: You can know more on other firmness scales if needs.
What to Consider When Choosing the right firmness?
- Your weight – We already discussed that the ideal weight for medium-firm would be around average BMI. Those who are heavier may still choose an ideal medium mattress, although firm mattresses are more supportive towards back and neck pain.
- Do you sleep as a couple? – Compromise is an important thing in every relationship. That said, you should discuss your sleeping preferences with your partners, what works best for you, and choose the firmness accordingly.
- Sweating and sleeping hot – Firmness level in great matter depends on how you handle the heat at night. Memory foam mattresses are usually softer, but some of them aren’t gel-infused resulting in trapping heat. Medium mattresses usually provide gel memory foam for extra support and temperature regulation, as well as firm mattresses. In conclusion, avoid soft and plush mattresses that are feeling extra hot.
- Does your back hurt? – You don’t have to be overweight to have sleeping issues when it comes to back, shoulder, and neck pain. If you have back problems, medium and firm mattress can be a better option to choose, as soft mattresses can contribute to more intense pain.
So, What’re The Benefits of sleeping on a medium-firm mattress?
Some Drawbacks You Need to Know As Well
If you’re looking for a mattress that can adjust firmness level, check 5 Best Adjustable Air Mattress in 2020
If your doctor suggest you sleeping on a firm mattress, check this post.
5 Best Medium Firm Mattress We Recommend in 2020
1. Best Overall: DreamCloud Luxury Medium Hybrid Mattress
We spent a long time reviewing different medium-firm mattresses, seeking the answer on what does it take for flawless, perfect night sleep. We found that out of all review units, DreamCloud Luxury Medium Hybrid Mattress is the best option for people who are looking for the just-right firmness level.
As the website describes, DreamCloud firmness level is classified as medium-firm at 6.5-level of firmness. Additionally, consumers can opt for an even firmer option if that interests them. This mattress classifies as a hybrid innerspring mattress. It is equipped with several layers of luxurious quality memory foam and a layer of springs in between. You won’t even feel or hear the spring, as they are isolated and cushioned in, with motion control technology which will prevent you from hearing it.
Beneath the coils, there is a porous foam base that is in charge of transferring and distributing heat evenly across the mattress, intending to increase airflow and make you have a peaceful night rest. It also covers the vibrations sent by the individually encased coils to reduce noise and make your sleep peaceful. Above the coils, there is a low-motion foam which even more reduces the noise and motion, no bounciness, and no disturbing your partner in their sleep.
Above these layers, there are true-loft and point-activated foam, premium materials that will ensure that you’re sleeping like on a sugar cane or a cloud, it softens the firmness from the coil, making the sleeping experience just right. It conforms to your body and hugs you as you sleep, reducing the effects of heating and helping you have a cool rest. Finally, a cashmere layer adds up to your comfort and helps you have a lasting and relaxing night rest.
- Multiple layers of memory foam and individually-encased coils will help you have sweet dreams and wake up rested and fresh.
- Gel-infused foam and porous base help you stay cool through the night, preventing heating.
- The amazing 365-night trial provides an all-year-round testing opportunity to see whether this mattress is the right fit. If you decide it’s not, the company will return your money.
- DreamCloud provides excellent customer service. Aside from a 365-night trial, you’ll get a lifetime warranty, with company assisting you until the end of your mattress’ life.
- It is available in all sizes – Twin, TwinXL, Queen, King, and California King.
Editor Notes: When it comes to the level of comfort, relaxation, and convenience, we couldn’t find a single con in DreamCloud luxurious mattress. However, all the quality and features don’t come at a cheap price. It’s a $1000+ mattress that may not be approachable for everyone’s pocket. Nevertheless, there is an APR financing plan that allows you to pay the plan monthly.
Another good choice is the Nectar mattress, both Nectar and Dreamcloud are made from the same company, but Nectar is more budget-friendly.
2. Runner Up: Loom & Leaf Queen Mattress
Our second place was won by a Loom & Leaf and Saatva collab Queen Mattress that is available in two sizes – Relaxed Firm with firmness between 5 and 6, and its firm mattress. In this article, we focus on the first option which classifies as the medium mattress, although we recommend both options for premium quality.
So what makes this mattress so luxurious as it is. Similar to the previous option, this mattress uses multiple-layer support, eco-friendly foams to ensure perfections in terms of relaxation and night rest. The mattress contours to your body shape and curves and cradles you on the way to the dreamland.
It consists of a spinal zone gel layer that uses additional cooling gel to ensure the sleeping surface that feels like a breeze and waves of the ocean combined. You are guaranteed to feel cool sleeping, without waking up to constantly turn and feel sweaty.
Additionally, there is a 5lb premium memory foam layer made in the USA to ensure additional cool comfort. It has Certi-PUR US certification, making it free of off-gassing. Lastly, it uses premium, quilted organic cotton covering to provide a safe and comfortable sleeping cover.
One of the best things about this mattress is that offers ultimate customization preceding the purchase. That means that you’ll go to the purchase page and adjust the features accordingly. You can use a 4-inch foundation or an 8-inch foundation, and you can split it if you want it in case your partner has different ideas of perfect sleep. The price naturally varies based on the customization.
- Loom & Leaf Saatva mattress uses premium hypoallergenic materials with gel-infused foam to ensure prestigious night rest, free of troubles.
- It uses USA-made 5lb high-quality foam that lets you have premium rest.
- It has a 120-day free trial that ensures you can spend some time getting to feel it.
- 15-year premium warranty.
Editor Notes: The price of this mattress varies, but if features similar to our first option are chosen it can be noticeably more expensive. In addition to that, the trial is shorter compared to our first option and there’s no lifetime warranty. Moreover, the entire ordering process can be kind of difficult.
Also Read: Best Queen Size Mattresses in 2020
3. Best Budget: Linenspa Hybrid Mattress
Linenspa Hybrid mattress combines the support and stability of innerspring coils while adding contouring and cradling comfort from memory foam mattresses. This combination makes up for a 10-inch medium firm mattress that will provide you a reliable and long night rest that won’t keep you up in pain the whole night.
The upper side of the mattress contains a super-thick layer of premium memory foam. It provides support that is ideal for all sleeping positions. Its medium firm conforms to your body curves easily making you sleep with ease. Also, it reduces pressure points and distributes weight evenly, so you won’t wake up feeling numb or pain in the back.
If you aren’t comfortable with the price or comfort of the 10-inch model, there are also 8-inch and 12-inch models that will feel just as good. The 12-inch profile offers better quality in terms of individually-encased coils and gel infusions that make up for the cooler sleeping experience.
Another great thing about this mattress that in the middle, it features a special comfort foam which reduces coil movement and makes the mattress less bouncy, although it won’t affect its overall responsiveness. In addition to that, there is decent edge support and the coils aren’t way too loud.
- This mattress offers great value. It’s affordable and will appeal to people with back pains that are restricted on budget.
- Special comfort foam conforms to your body and keeps you a snug fit against your mattress.
- There’s decent edge support which means you won’t fall off the mattress, and can both lay and sit with ease.
- There is a 10-year warranty, which is more than enough for a budget-friendly mattress.
Editor Notes: A budget-friendly option comes with certain limitations in the sense that it lacks hypoallergenic materials. Also, there is no gel-infused memory foam that will cool the sleeping surface. Instead, the memory foam may heat up and make you sweat during summer.
Also Read: 10 Best Budget Mattress 2020
4. Extra-Thick: Dynasty Mattress
Have you ever wanted to feel like a king or a queen without spending over $1,000 for a decent night’s sleep? Dynasty Mattress is a company that isn’t often talked about, but it offers luxurious quality in the sub-$500 range. This mattress offers 14-inch thickness, which is supposed to lift you in the sky, hug you tightly and sail you to the dreamland.
This foam construction mattress offers a lot of features worth falling in love with. Inside the 14-inch thickness, a 4-inch HD memory foam layer works in a way to keep you comfortable and cool, thanks to the Sleep Cool Technology gel infusions that freshen up the sleeping surface, causing you to sleep relaxed without waking up, turning or sweating.
Additionally, 1-inch of HD comfort memory foam adds more edge support, without making it overly bouncy. It makes up for balanced airflow and extra support and comfort. There are four layers of foam construction and each one of them makes for more comfort and stability.
The top of this mattress features additional white color and brown or black suede corners. The materials are CertiPUR approved, meaning there are a fire barrier and a zip-on cover.
- 14-inches of thickness distributed across four memory foam layers will result in long-awaited and lasting balance and comfort.
- Special 4-inch memory foam is gel-infused and protecting of your curves from discomfort.
- There is a 120-day trial which allows you to test the mattress and see if the comfort it provides suits you
- Amazing 20-years warranty promises great quality.
Editor Notes: There are a lot of nice features this mattress offers but we must point out that it also takes an unreasonable long time to expand, with edges often not expanding enough to provide support. Also, not all materials are hypoallergenic so shop with caution.
5. Best for Cool Sleep: Classic Brands Mattress
People who sweat a lot generally require more cool support to enjoy a full night’s rest and comfort. It can get annoying when you wake up constantly, forced to turn and switch. Classic Brands mattress has a lot of features that will enhance your sleep, so let’s dig in.
The mattress is built with pressure-relieving memory foam of luxurious quality. It conforms to your body curves and assists you for a comfortable night regardless of the sleep position you sleep in. It is also infused with a cool gel memory foam that offers extra balance and relaxing night sleepover a cool and breathable surface. It contributes to healthier and deeper sleeping habits, which will leave you rested and relaxed when you wake up.
Needless to say, the design of this mattress is gorgeous. It uses specially tailored and detailed knit fabric decorated with the waterfall edge for additional edge support and knitted side panels. This mattress generally feels more plush compared to other options but is still listed as a medium mattress. That only means more comfort and convenient sleeping experience.
As a gift, consumers get two shredded memory foam standard pillows free of charge, that will match with the mattress and provide prestigious night rest.
- Special, high-quality memory foam that adjusts to your body curves and eliminates discomfort and back pain.
- Gel-infused memory foam that adjusts to the ventilated design of the bed, and provides more breathability and breeze sleep.
- Plush feeling on a medium mattress that relieves your pressure points and distributes weight evenly.
- Extra pillows that ship as a gift.
- 10 years of risk-free warranty.
Editor Notes: The mattress is a little more expensive for a model that comes with only a 30-day return policy instead of a longer sleep trial. It requires a hypoallergenic pad or protector as the cover isn’t resistant to all germs.
Also Read: 5 Ways to Cool Memory Foam Mattress
We Also Reviewed (Good but not great)
6. EARLY BIRD Essentials 10-Inch Memory Foam Mattress
Early Bird memory foam mattress may not have made it to the first five reviews, but it’s still a premium quality medium firm mattress that will restore your bedroom. Its main material is pressure-relieving memory foam that easily customizes to your body to provide extra support and comfort. It also uses gel-infusion technology for consistent temperature control.
- This mattress is a great value as it provides carefully-designed and knitted mattress cover with luxurious memory foam and gel infusions for a cooler sleeping surface.
- All materials are handcrafted in the USA.
- It is constructed in a way to provide great support for side and back sleepers.
- 10-inch thickness to make you feel elevated and convenient.
- 10 years warranty.
Drawbacks: It takes quite some time to expand. There is a lack of edge support as corners of the mattress don’t expand entirely.
7. AmazonBasics Cooling Gel-Infused Memory Foam Mattress
AmazonBasics medium mattress is available in 10- and 12-inch profiles. They consist of three-layer hypoallergenic memory foam with gel infusions for temperature regulation and cool surface. It has a durable foam base for extra support and breathability. In addition to a plethora of great features, AmazonBasics comes with a super-soft quilted cover that won’t itch your body and will hug your curves to sleep.
- It is made out of hypoallergenic materials – resistant to bacteria, dust mites, mold, and other germs.
- Premium quality, three-layer memory foam that adjusts and conforms to your body.
- Breathable, gel-infused foam that cools your bed.
Drawbacks: Unfortunately, it takes up to 72 hours to inflate entirely. Furthermore, the warranty isn’t specified properly.
8. Tuft & Needle Hybrid Mattress
This mattress measures 10-inch in height and thickness and uses a dual layer of T and N adaptive foam. It also has a slow recovery foam which reduces bouncing and hugs your body regardless of the sleeping position. Given it’s a hybrid mattress it has a 6-inch layer of pocket coils and a base foam that reduces motion control and makes more support. Let’s check its features out.
- Adaptive foam easily adjusts to your body and keeps it comfortable the whole night.
- The responsive foam also uses gel infusions and cool cover that keeps you cool at night.
- There is 10 years warranty out of the box for trustworthy support.
- Ideal for back and side sleepers.
- Uncompromised balance and comfort.
Drawbacks: In comparison to its features, Tuft & Needle mattress is pricey. Also, its mattress can take over three days to inflate after being shipped.
9. Tuft & Needle Nod 8-inch Mattress
Tuft & Needle Node 8-inch mattress features adaptive foam construction that relieves your pressure body points and evenly distributes your weight to create a healthy and comfortable sleeping environment. It is a great investment into night rest and your own health.
- The mattress is a great value because it uses materials that conform to your body curves and aid you in any sleeping position.
- It’s especially beneficial to back and side sleepers.
- It is backed by a trustworthy 10 year warranty.
- It is a great balance between plush and firm mattress, feels right.
- Gel-infused foam will help you sleep cool.
Drawbacks: Similarly to the model above, it takes a long time to expand and inflate. Also, it lacks the necessary edge support to support you sitting or laying on the edge. Also, this mattress may be too expensive for the 8-inch profile which may not be supportive towards heavier sleepers.
10. Casper Element Mattress
Casper Element mattress boasts an 11-inch height for an elevated and cushy sleeping experience. There are three layers of luxurious foam with gel infusion beads that make up for breathability and just-right level of bounciness. It is durable, comfortable, and easily conforms to the bodies of sleepers through different sleeping positions.
- 11-inch is an ideal value for those looking for extra thickness, as well as heavy sleepers.
- It’s easy to maintain and clean.
- It comes with 100 night free trials which lets you test its quality.
- It expands really fast.
- 10-year warranty.
Drawbacks: Despite gel-infused foam, this mattress still feels very warm. That said, it may require a hypoallergenic and cool cover or mattress pad.
If you still couldn’t decide on why a medium-firm mattress is the right one for you, we hope that our buyer’s guide made your shopping a little bit easier. The online market is a tricky place and finding the mattress that will suit all your needs is more than difficult.
At last, we ensured to review only mattresses that stand an amazing value for you in terms of build, material, thickness, comfort and finally price. Our best picks feature 100 and all year round sleep trial, which is an important feature to look into, yet not offered by all companies.
In the end, the final decision on picking the mattress is up to you and our reviews contain everything that you need to make the right decision.