Investing in your sleep means investing in one-third of your life, which is how much the experts say we spend sleeping.
However, as much as exciting it may sound, for uneducated people, shopping for a new mattress can turn into a scenario from worst nightmares.
Memory foam mattresses had an extreme grew in popularity over the past decades, especially the semi-organic Bio Foam-based models.
Are memory foam mattresses worth it? In this article, we reviewed the best memory foam mattress, coupled with a buying guide on how to shop one.
Memory Foam Mattress – First Impression
Why Memory Foam? (When Compared With Other Mattress Types Like Innerspring)
Good Spine Alignment – Memory foam uses your body temperature and shape to conform to your body, creating the best position and shape for your spine to be positioned neutrally. That makes sleeping on all positions more comfortable and helps some people fall asleep easier.
Body contouring – One of the best advantages of memory foam is certainly body-contouring. The mattress adapts to you as you change position.
Pain and pressure relief – Memory foam helps relieve the pain and pressure from your joints and muscles. It’s specifically beneficial to people with arthritis and joint pain.
Mostly hypoallergenic – Nearly all memory foam mattress types are hypoallergenic. That way you won’t have to worry about the annoying germs, bacteria, dander, dust mites, and others.
Some Common Drawbacks You Should Aware As Well
Even though the mattresses with memory foam has a lot of advantages, there are some disadvantages, some of which we already mentioned above.
If You Still Like it, Which Type to Choose From?
Traditional Memory Foam
Traditional memory foam has been in use for a long time and became extremely popular among people who have certain injuries and need contouring to keep their curves snug and comfortable.
Traditional memory foam is the most affordable option among the other memory foam types. Its production process hasn’t changed since its development, but its open-cell structure led to the development of new types of memory foam.
It is used to relieve the pressure and extra weight while laying, distributing the pressure through the zoned design on a mattress.
However, it traps a lot of heat, which is another reason that led to the development of new types of memory foams.
Lastly, given it’s manufactured of pure synthetical materials, it often comes with an unwanted scent that won’t fade away even after days since the purchase.
Upgrade: Gel Memory Foam
To solve the problem with excess heat-trapping and sleeping hot, sleep experts and mattress makers embraced a new design. The gel memory foam was first seen on a mattress in the last decade, particularly in the early 2010s.
Different manufacturers use different methods to add gel to the memory foam. While some makers prefer adding the gel layer on top of the mattress, some like to add it onto the bottom. That way, there is a barrier between the memory foam layers that adds up to the cooling effect of the mattress.
Another very effective method that is still used today is infusing the gel beads memory foam mattresses because the gel then settles down causing the cooling effects. It helps with temperature regulation.
Upgrade: Plant-based Memory Foam
We mentioned above how one of the major issues aside from cooling is off-gassing and releasing of VOCs (volatile organic compounds.) Mattress experts addressed this problem by making semi-organic, plant-derived memory foam.
Off-gassing is generally considered safe and the smell will disappear within a few days. However, VOCs pose a threat to the environment.
The plant-based foam isn’t entirely natural, it still uses small amounts of petrochemicals that add up to the mattress’ bounciness.
Still, they’re much safer than the original memory foam is.
As a result, it’s more responsive, bouncy, and has better breathability than the traditional memory foam(That’s one of the reason why we feature Amerisleep as3).
Other Features to look into
- Density – We already talked about what density is. Let’s talk about the amount of density a good memory foam mattress needs. The least recommended amount is 3.5lbs per cubic foot. However, the most durable options boast 6lbs per cubic foot.
- Cooling – A good memory mattress should be covered in organic cotton or Tencel that can add up to the breathability. However, the best option would be to have a gel-infused memory foam mattress that will naturally create a cool sleeping environment.
- Weight – Weight is extremely important because it also dictates the durability, edge support lifespan of the memory foam mattress. Heavier sleepers will easily sink into the memory foam if it’s not heavy enough. When it comes to weight, sleep experts recommend mattresses from 7lbs per cubic feet.
- Firmness – Firmness of a mattress varies. Plush mattresses allow you to sink into it and feel like you’re inside of cotton candy. However, heavier sleepers prefer sleeping on firm surfaces. Unless you like a particular firm or soft mattress, anything on a scale from 4 to 7 is just the right firmness of a mattress.
10 Best Memory Foam Mattresses: Detailed Reviews
1. Best Overall: Amerisleep AS3
Amerisleep combines high-quality craftsmanship with premium materials that will ensure amazing night rest and pressure alleviation from your joints.
When we reviewed AS3 that is the company’s most popular mattress, we saw why its all memory foam built deserves to be on the top of our best memory foam mattress list.
This foam mattress uses an advanced foam which enhances the overall experience of sleeping while keeping you cool at night without you worrying about getting sweaty at night.
And while organic mattresses are on the rise in demand and popularity, Amerisleep AS3 delivers a plant-based Bio-Pur memory foam which replaces the worries about synthetic material and exceeds all expectations in keeping you cool at night, without compromising the comfort and support.
Additionally, there is an open-cell technology which makes the mattress more breathable and ensures a proper air circulation compared to the traditional memory foam mattresses that trap it, making the bed even hotter.
The Bio-Pur comfort layer is responsible for how you feel through the night. Different zones across the mattress surface help relieve pain and pressure points which trap the pressure, making you feel weaker and more tired when you wake up. With a comfort layer, the mattress naturally contours to your curves, cradling you to sleep. It also has the right amount of bounciness, so you’ll move with ease.
Other layers include the HIVE support layer which alleviates the pressure and distributes it evenly across the bed’s surface. Each area on the surface is designed for certain body part and so the area where your shoulders and hips go is softer and plushier. The firmness of the mattress itself is medium, so it has just the right amount of softness and firmness.
The bottom side of the mattress gives a special balanced supportive layer that gives your mattress good edge support, balanced comfort and prevents sagging and sinking which is often the reason for mattress replacement. It’s also worth mentioning that this layer is responsible for motion isolation, so you won’t worry about waking up your partner or wakening.
- Balanced, supportive, and comfortable sleeping surface with multiple comfort and cooling layers.
- Special HIVE layer for pressure alleviation and distribution.
- Cool sleeping experience as a result of Gel Bio-Foam that makes the mattress breezier and more breathable.
- 20 years of unprecedented and uncompromised comfort as a result of warranty.
- The mattress itself comes with a 100-night sleep trial.
- It uses Bio-Pur, a sort of plant-based memory foam.
- It is a medium firmness mattress, from 5 to 7 level of firmness.
2. Runner Up: Puffy Lux Mattress
Puffy, as its name suggests, uses luxurious materials to guarantee heavenly sleep experience and perfect night rest. It is available in a lot of sizes and firmness levels, but it’s the plush model that unleashes the full potential of premium memory foam that you can sink in with ease and feel as if you’re boarding a cloud.
It can fit any sleeping surface from boxspring models to adjustable bases. Another great thing is that despite being plush and fluffy, it’s easily applicable for all sleeping positions.
It is equipped with a special, dual cloud foam that easily adapts to the shape of your body and hugs you to sleep. Additionally, the cooling cloud foam makes the entire mattress more comfortable, so you won’t have to worry about waking up hot and sweaty.
In combination, these two foams work together to reduce the pressure points and relax your body so that you’ll wake up rested and relaxed in the morning.
Additional cooling innovation is the Climate adapting technology that uses the temperature in the mattress to determine whether it should be more breathable or hotter. It is designed in a way to mimic the way organic wool works and provide advanced temperature regulation, regardless of which position you’re sleeping in. With that in mind, there will also be a subtle warming effect during the cold winter nights.
One of the best features of this mattress in addition to the premium comfort is the stain-resisting cover that you can keep on for extended amounts of time and not worry about the mattress getting dirty. It also comes with the Zip-And-Wash mechanism which allows deep seasonal cleaning to get rid of bacteria, dirt, and other germs.
- Special cloud foam that alleviates pressure and keeps you snug comfortably.
- Cooling cloud foam that makes the mattress more breathable.
- Climate adapting technology for better temperature regulation.
- Lifetime warranty.
- Puffy 101-night sleep trial.
- You can choose different firmness levels, with this unit being the plush option.
- Cloud foam uses gel memory foam base.
3. Best Mattress for the Money: DreamFoam Bedding Sojourn Mattress
Memory foam mattresses are supposed to make shopping for mattress somewhat cheaper compared to the traditional innerspring mattresses. Nevertheless, they can still be extremely expensive.
With that in mind, we did some additional digging and found DreamFoam Bedding Sojourn mattress, a 12-inch cloud of comfort that will flatter your bedroom and make your nights more peaceful.
It boasts a plush comfort made out of luxurious materials, that will embrace your curves and cradle you to sleep.
The top layer of this memory foam mattress is equipped with a 1.5-inch layer of copper graphite memory foam which allows more conductivity, and hence better temperature regulation.
The copper graphite makes the bed more breathable, allowing the natural airway exchange, preventing sweating and hot flashes.
Additionally, there is 2.5-inch memory foam for comfort and 2-inch of a transitional foam layer that adds up a little firmness and makes great motion isolation.
Lastly, the 6-inch high-density foundation adds up to the edge support and makes the mattress more comfortable and durable. It’s a mattress in a box, which can reduce the extension times and make shipping easier.
- An extremely durable, yet budget-friendly option.
- Constructed out of multiple memory foam layers with each adding extra level of comfort.
- Copper-graphite-infused gel memory foam makes the mattress more breathable
- Amazing 10-year warranty.
- It comes with a 120-night sleep trial, ideal for testing the qualities of the mattress.
- It uses high-density foam.
4. Best for Hot Sleepers: Plushbeds Cool Bliss Luxury Memory Foam Mattress
Have you ever slept on a surface that feels like an ocean breeze in the morning? That’s a wish of many sleepers who tend to sweat, have hot flashes, and sleep hot in general.
The solution to that without sacrificing the snug comfort of memory foam mattress is the Plushbed’s Cool Bliss Luxury Memory foam mattress with a lot of wonderful features that make sleeping on it blissful.
When reviewing this model, we don’t know where to start from without mentioning its luxurious and premium comfort, with an optimal cooling effect.
First and foremost, this model is available in a plethora of sizes, starting from twins that are ideal for children to California and Split King that allows personalization of sleeping comfort.
This 12-inch medium-firm mattress will conform to both people who need extra thickness and just-right level of firmness. There are multiple layers of bedding, starting from the GOTS-certified cotton and gel memory foam that provides relaxing comfort, and cooling effect that makes the mattress more breathable. Needless to say, this model also features an organic latex layer for a more organic feel, with GOLS-certified quality.
When it comes to the quality of the mattress itself, it is suitable for all types of sleepers and different sleeping positions, while the supportive core at the very depth of the mattress secures edge support so you’ll feel convenient regardless of whether you’re laying at the middle of the bed or on the edges. The motion isolation also secures that your partner won’t wake up from your movement or them from yours.
- The amazing cooling effect of gel-infused memory foam is great even for sweaty sleepers.
- GOLS and GOTS certified latex and organic cotton.
- Comfortable and supportive layers of high-density foam.
- 100-night sleep trial and long warranty of 25 years.
- There are frequent discounts and great customer service.
- It scores 6 out of 10 on firmness score, meaning that it’s medium firm.
5. Best for Heavy Side Sleepers: Winkbeds Memorylux Mattress
Meeting the demands of heavy sleepers can be extremely difficult. As the memory foam has contouring properties and many people love sinking into the plush and convenience, heavy sleepers may feel discomfort and even get persistent back and hip pain.
Winkbeds memory lux mattress features a firm design with level 7 of firmness which is ideal for heavy side sleepers. An additional benefit is that it’s the best for people who sleep on the side. With that in mind, the Sleep Apnea affected patients can easily sleep on the side of this mattress.
Despite its firmness, this fairly thick mattress features contouring technology, that contours, and hugs your body curves to sleep. The mattress features the Air Cell memory foam technology that helps with hot air circulation so you won’t have to worry about sleeping hot, as the air exchange is perfect.
It also relieves the pressure points, making sleeping more comfortable and less painful so that when you wake up, your joints and muscles are relaxed, and you refreshed.
Additionally, there is an extremely smooth and comfortable Tencel cover that surrounds the mattress and adds up to the comfort. In addition to its comfort and smoothness, this cover will allow you to feel refreshed through gel-infused memory foam that additionally cools the sleeping surface, making it cool and breezy to the touch.
We’re also satisfied with the performance of technical and customer service, should you have any issues.
- Contouring and comfortable Air Cell Memory Foam with more breathability for the entire sleeping surface.
- Gel-infused memory foam in combination with a comfy Tencel cover.
- The firm structure (with score 7) allows more support for heavy side sleepers.
- There are lifetime warranty and free returns coupled with a 100-night sleep trial.
- Great pressure relief from the joints.
6. Best for Kids: The Muse Mattress
It’s of extreme importance to ensure quality sleeping conditions for your child. The reason for that is because the children are quite physically active and require a quality night rest through the night.
The Muse Mattress aims to provide the necessary comfort and support for developing children made out of conforming and convenient memory foam. In addition to the great memory foam design, there is a 100% natural yarn cover that adds up to comfort and also adds some cooling into the bedroom.
The mattress is a 12-inch high and medium-firm, which is exactly what your child needs for healthy spine alignment, especially if they sleep on their back or stomachs.
- Structure ideal for any body type and structure.
- Conforming memory foam design with a breathable yarn fabric.
- The memory foam uses a gel infusion to make sleeping experience cooler.
- 120-night sleep trial for your child to try out and enjoy the mattress.
- The cover is washable.
- Medium-firm level.
- The breathable memory foam also uses liquid gel infusions to add up to the cooling effect.
7. Best for Lower Back Pain: GhostBed Luxe Mattress
Some sleepers experience lower back pain when they sleep on their stomach and back. At first, we couldn’t decide on whether we should place this mattress among the best cooling mattresses.
But, we found its dense foam properties to be particularly beneficial towards people who wake up numb and with lower back pain. GhostBed Luxe Mattress consists of multiple comforts and cooling layers which add up to contouring, comfort, breezy sensation through the night, and support. Here are its main features.
- Just the right amount of firmness, it’s not too firm, nor too plush with 5.5-6.0 level firmness.
- It’s one of the beds with the best cooling properties in the world.
- Fast shipping and 101-night sleep trial.
- 25 years of durable warranty.
- Ghost gel memory foam with freezing cover to add up to the cool sensation.
8. Best for Couples: Tempurpedic Pro Adapt
Couples oftentimes have it extremely difficult when sleeping together, the reason for that is sleeping preferences.
With Tempurpedic’s Pro Adapt Split King bed, you’ll be able to pick the firmness of your side and not worry about the motion isolation or whether your partner feels comfortable.
You can choose different firmness levels and the Tempur material-made memory foam will conform to your body structure and hug you to sleep. It’s comfortable, pressure-relieving, and cooling technology that will fix your sleep cycle and help you feel rested and refreshed in the morning.
- Cutting-edge comfort layer will contour to your curves like no mattress before.
- Adjustable firmness, you can set the firmness level you want, while the partner can set theirs.
- A smart Climate dual cover system adds breathability and better temperature regulation.
- The special supportive level that relieves pressure and adds more edge support.
- 90-day sleep trial for adequate testing of quality.
- 10-year warranty.
- It uses a special Tempur memory foam, a custom-made design with properties of gel memory foam and special foam unique to the company.
9. Best for Stomach Sleepers: Novosbed Memory Foam Mattress
Finding a mattress for stomach sleepers isn’t easy. However, Novosbed’s memory foam mattress, available in multiple firmness levels exceeded all our expectations.
Stomach sleepers prefer having the sensation as if they’re on top of the bed, not sinking inside of it, which is why the medium or firmer option is better. It is equipped with support and comfort layers that enhance the quality of sleep and relieve the pressure points from an exhaustive day. The layer is also good for isolating motion so it’s great if you sleep with a couple.
- It uses a Tencel top cover which is machine-washable so your bed will always be clean and fresh.
- Comfort and support layers help relieve pressure points, have contouring effects, and help you sleep soundly.
- Nice air circulation.
- The 15-year warranty and 120-day sleep trial.
- Traditional memory foam.
- It’s available in multiple firmness options, but firm with 7 levels of firmness would be the best for stomach sleepers.
10. Best Dual-Sided: Layla Mattress
Layla mattress looks gorgeous, but it’s not what it’s made for. It’s one of the rare respectably-priced mattresses that you can turn to each side, which is often recommended with memory foam mattresses that need re-fluffing after sinking slightly.
Even with that in mind, you don’t have to worry about that with the Layla mattress. Its multiple layers ensure comfort, reliability, restfulness, and refreshed feeling once you wake up in the morning.
- The special copper gel memory foam that cools the memory foam and helps circulate air through the mattress.
- Hypoallergenic materials that help you sleep cleaner.
- Great variety of compatible sleeping bases.
- Impeccable comfort and support.
- 120-night sleep trial and lifetime warranty.
- Layla Sleep mattress sports flappable firmness so you can easily adjust it.
Question: How to Fix Problem With Sagging Mattress?
Memory foam mattresses are prone to sagging which is why people prefer refluffing them before getting a new mattress, trying to save it. If the mattress can be turned over, you can easily toss it on the other side and sleep on it.
What more, some sleep experts recommend tossing your mattress on the other side to preserve its lifespan. But, what to do when you can’t afford a new mattress and tossing doesn’t work?
- You can add a few cushions and pillows(Check the memory foam pillows) under the mattress surface, which can strengthen the mattress surface and restore its firmness for a time.
- Mattress topper (Check the memory foam toppers we recommend) is not the best solution for a sagging mattress. However, if the damage isn’t too big, it can temporarily provide the firmness you may have lost with mattress beginning to sink. Mattress topper or pad definitely can’t restore the original function of your mattress and are mainly used for a firm mattress. So, if your mattress sank too much, it’s time to get a new one.
Check this if you want to know more details.
We Also Recommend: 9 Tips to Help Break in Your Memory Foam Mattress
If you thought that memory foam mattresses aren’t supportive enough to provide impeccable night rest, we hope that we convinced you it’s worth all the hassle.
We hope that you could find value in the mattresses we offered in this list, keep in mind we have a lot more models reviewed properly on this site.
If the cooling properties of gel memory foam and hypoallergenic, breathable covers aren’t enough to keep you sweat-free as you sleep, you should consider getting a smart mattress cooling system such as Eight Pod we reviewed here.