Organic mattresses and mattress toppers changed the way people feel about sleeping. Nowadays, it’s much safer and reassuring to sleep knowing you’re sleeping on organic materials free of any industrial processes, off-gassing, and other toxic processes.
With that in mind, for people who are environmentally conscious and want to make their night rest as healthy as possible, we prepared a compelling review of the best organic mattress topper as well as nine other options you may be interested in.
Finally, we crafted a buying guide that will educate you about the properties of organic toppers and why you should use them.
Organic Mattress Toppers Overview
There are different types of mattress toppers and each of them works differently on your mattress.
Natural Latex – This is one of the most common types of mattress topper in the market (another is memory foam). For various reasons, it’s used because of its thermo-neutral features, which are extremely valuable if you support a vegan lifestyle and are looking for an all-natural build.
Wool – Wool is another component found in the organic mattress toppers. Sometimes it works as a standalone mattress topper while most commonly, it can be found in the latex toppers due to the best temperature regulation properties. It works great both for the summer and winter, given it can keep you both cool and toasty.
Cotton – Cotton is the third common mattress topper. It can often be found as part of natural latex topper because the standalone version can be too difficult to grow or expensive, which may turn a lot of consumers away. Nevertheless, cotton feels smooth, comfortable, and has thermo-regulating properties that keep your rest peaceful.
How About Semi-organic mattress toppers
Memory foam grew in popularity extremely over the past few years and decades. However, given it’s made out of synthetic materials, many people worry about potential fire retardants or other toxic material that it ships with and causes off-gassing.
However, BioFoam material emerged recently and is often found as part of the organic mattress. BioFoam is bio-degradable and made out of plants, meaning it’s more eco-friendly and organic in that sense.
Benefits of Using Organic Mattress Topper
- You don’t have to worry about VOCs and other chemical, harmful emissions that could potentially harm your health.
- Eco-friendly design is healthier and more beneficial to the planet.
- There is more natural temperature regulation and breathability compared to the synthetic memory foam.
- Better motion isolation and less noise.
Drawbacks of Using Organic Mattress Topper
- They are more expensive compared to synthetic mattress toppers. Given that the natural and organic material has to go through the strict regulation processes, the price of making them is higher.
- They’re usually boasting less density compared to synthetic mattresses, making them not so approachable option for heavier sleepers.
5 Best Organic Mattress Topper We Recommend
1. Best Overall: Avocado Organic Latex Mattress Topper
After careful researching and testing, we found that Avocado Mattress Topper is the best organic mattress topper we could find and experience. It is made out of eco-conscious materials that add comfort to your sleep and help you rest peacefully and long.
There are two types of mattress toppers, the plush and firmer one. We decided for the plush one because the sole idea of toppers is to soften the existing mattress, although you can use the firmer model to add more support to a sinking mattress.
Additionally, the topper is available in all bed sizes so whether you’re grabbing a mattress topper for your kid or you want to rejuvenate the old mattress in your bed, all dimensions are available.
The thickness of the mattress is 2-inches, but it uses a 100% GOLS organic certified mattress. The firmer option uses the D75 medium-firm natural latex while the plush topper will let you sink in and conform to your body curves thanks to the D65 soft natural latex.
The softer model provides the luxury-plush sensation, that will make you think you’re sleeping on a cloud.
If you’re worried about sleeping hot or sweaty, don’t. This mattress is equipped with a soft layer of GOTS-certified organic wool, hand-quilted between the cotton covers and latex core.
It will ensure that you sleep dry and breezy because wool sports numerous thermoregulation properties which allow it to reduce the moisture while providing more efficient breathability.
As a result of that, you’ll be able to sleep cool even during the hot and humid summer nights.
Lastly, the topper is there to ensure that you promote sustainability and environmental awareness. The MADE SAFE certification ensures that this topper doesn’t boast polyurethane foams, memory foams, chemical components, or fire retardants.
It’s important to note that there is also the Vegan option for those who want to experience complete cruelty-free sleep experience. The vegan option is even more environmentally friendly and is approved by PETA itself.
Note: We also feature Avocado as #1 in 5 Best Latex Mattress Topper in 2021
- Organic latex, wool, and cotton cover will ensure an environmentally-conscious sleeping environment.
- The organic materials don’t compromise your sleep cycle and work together to improve the quality of your sleep.
- Guaranteed comfort and convenience.
- There are no toxic chemicals and other substances that could harm people or animal health.
- Amazing one-year sleep trial, as well as a long 10 years warranty.
- Punctual and determined customer support. If you own an Avocado mattress, you’ll get the discount on the topper. Also, you can adjust the firmness to your needs, so that it fits your sleeping preferences.
2. Runner Up: Plushbeds Handmade Organic Wool Topper
If Avocado mattress topper I currently unavailable for some reason or you’re not a fan of latex mattresses, this handmade wool topper produced from Plushbeds will be a true treat for you and your sleep.
The organic, cruelty-free wool ensures the best possible quality sleep which encourages a healthy sleep cycle, cool sleeping experience, and most importantly – rejuvenation of an old or way too firm mattress.
The Handmade wool mattress is the proof of organic production, as well as eco-friendly design. The mattress feels plush and comfortable, and with 3-inch thickness, it will appeal to people of all bodily constructions.
Wool fibers are a natural temperature regulator which means they adjust to the temperature in your room and environment in general. With that in mind, you can expect to feel cool and breezy through the summer nights and warm during the cold winter nights.
As mentioned above, the wool absorbs and dries away the moisture which means you can sleep dry and comfortable for the rest of the night. In addition to numerous environmentally-friendly certifications, this mattress topper is also good for people who are sleeping with back or hip problems. It feels not too firm or plush, but just right in a premium and luxurious way.
You can easily place it under a fitted sheet and you won’t have to worry about it moving through the night as you change positions. It is so comfortable and feels so natural that it promotes deep and restful sleep. Lastly, it feels like sleeping on a cloud and guarantees a great sleeping experience.
- One of the rare mattress toppers that meet strict quality assurance standards.
- Amazing 100-night sleep trial and 25 years warranty.
- Wool is a great temperature regulator and works great both in the summer and in the winter.
- It’s available in various dimensions and doesn’t sleep off as you sleep.
- Plush, comfortable, and premium materials that will soften your mattress.
3. Best Budget: The Latex For Less Topper
When it comes to organic mattress toppers, there is no compromise of quality for the environment. With that in mind, the budget-friendly toppers are incredibly rare to find, but not impossible.
The Latex For Less is oriented on value while providing impeccable quality. It’s available in all bed sizes you could imagine and it’s made out of 100% natural latex with all security and safety certifications.
The natural latex doesn’t compromise the quality and safety of fillers or chemicals. Thanks to Oeko-Tex and Eco-Institut you’re guaranteed to sleep on pure latex, with restorative sleep and great pressure relief.
This model is ideal for people suffering from back or hip pain, although it boasts the 2-inch thickness. That doesn’t mean it doesn’t feel premium or luxurious.
Also, even though some people who are allergic to latex worry about safety and rest, the company guarantees the hypoallergenic material. There are also 5 years of warranty and a 120-night sleep trial, so you can see about the quality for yourself.
- Extremely valuable for the price.
- It is available in all sizes and dimensions.
- Right certifications to ensure the unparalleled quality of sleep and rest.
- 5 years of warranty and 120-night sleep.
- Hypoallergenic material will work great for the sensitive groups.
4. Best Plush: Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper
There are a lot of people who prefer extra plush sensation in the bed. Additionally, people who sleep on extremely firm mattresses can be relieved with extra-softness.
Such is the Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper which was handmade in the USA using organic cotton, natural latex, and organic wool. It has a pillow top mattress topper design.
It is available in all possible sizes. Additionally, it easily fits the bed it’s designed too and won’t make your bed look too bulky. It boasts a 3-inch thickness which adds up to the depth of luxurious plush.
There are absolutely no synthetic materials in this topper. Instead, some certifications ensure that the mattress is completely natural. It feels extremely comfortable and promotes a healthy and deep sleep cycle.
The natural latex is in charge of providing a soft sleeping structure that feels natural to the body and contours with the curves, making sleeping in every position easy and comfortable.
The wool layer ensures that the sleeper doesn’t feel too hot or sweaty through the night, allowing for more breathability and better temperature regulation.
Lastly, the cotton cover provides a sleek look for the topper, making it easily blend with your existing mattress.
The Plush Pillow Topper is equipped with the GOTS, Gold, and GreenGuard certifications which makes it free of memory foam, polyurethane foam, and other toxic chemicals.
- Pillow top topper design with comfort and relaxation in mind.
- The organic wool layer provides high-end temperature regulation which is good for both summer and winter.
- Natural latex contours your body curves and adjusts to them.
- Free delivery, amazing 100-night sleep trial, and a 10-year warranty.
5. Best Organic Cotton: White Lotus Organic Cotton Topper
Cotton mattress toppers are the best when it comes to their softness, comfort, and other capabilities. It is known for providing a great sleeping experience. The White Lotus Home uses only 100% organic cotton for its mattresses, and this topper is no exception.
There are no synthetic materials that can compromise your safety. Instead, it is supportive and soft as a result of a 2-inch cotton layer. It’s safe for sensitive skin and hypoallergenic.
If you feel that a 2-inch topper isn’t enough for your needs, don’t worry. You can upgrade for an extra-plush cotton layer that will make your topper 4-inches thick, making it ideal for both heavier and lighter sleepers.
It is GOTS-certified, which means it’s free of pesticides and insecticides. It uses natural and biodegradable cotton, which means the company is environmentally conscious. It also uses 91% less water to grow cotton compared to other brands that aren’t so conscious when making similar cotton-made products.
All in all, the organic cotton will feel great for your skin, and you won’t have to worry about getting sweaty or tired through the night. Instead, you’ll be greeted with luxurious comfort and enhance your sleep cycle in no time.
- Amazing 7 to 10 years warranty depending on the thickness option you pick.
- 100% organic cotton design which consumes less water to grow and is more eco-friendly.
- It offers impeccable comfort and ensures restful sleep.
- It is upgradeable which means you can either use the 2-inch or 4-inch deal.
- Hypoallergenic and free of pesticides and insecticides.
Best Organic Mattress Topper FAQ
We Also Reviewed (Good But Not Great)
6. My Green Mattress Topper
This organic mattress topper will rejuvenate your old mattress or add additional comfort and plush to your existing mattress. It uses natural latex using two-inch GOLS-certified organic latex. Additionally, there is a durable and high-quality GOTS-certified cotton which adds extended comfort to your topper that will look nice with any type of mattress.
- Excellent features for those who want to improve the quality of their existing mattress.
- Amazing 120-night sleep trial and 5-year limited warranty.
- Body-conforming design with cooling effects from cotton cover.
- GOLS and GOTS certified.
7. Take Ten Certified Organic 100% Natural Latex Mattress Topper
Take Ten’s organic 100% natural latex topper is both GOLS and USDA certified, while also boasting Organic Cover certified with the GOTS cotton certifications.
It’s extra-soft for those who are looking for an alternative to their super-firm mattress. It’s a 100% vegan design and you don’t have to worry about synthetic and potentially harmful materials.
- 100% cruelty-free and vegan design.
- Uses GOLS, USDA, and GOTS certifications.
- Relieves pressure from your joints and distributes your weight evenly.
- 30 days trial and 5-year warranty.
- Great value for the price.
8. Compton 1.5″ Latex Mattress Topper
Compton 1.5-inch latex mattress topper uses a plant-based design that praises itself from toxic-free materials. It’s hypoallergenic and boasts effective protection from the bed bugs. Additionally, it is available in a great number of sizes. It also has a great cooling technology thanks to the breathability of the topper.
- Plant-based design is free of petroleum, harsh chemicals, and heavy metals.
- Hypoallergenic despite the latex design.
- Natural latex naturally conforms to your curves and gives you more comfort.
9. Starcast Mattress Topper
Starcast mattress topper is a 100% cotton topper that is organic and feels cool and breezy to sleep on. It’s also extra-thick compared to other mattress toppers and fits great to any bed. It doesn’t slip off the bed. Instead, it’s suitable for the entire family, from babies to the elderly.
- Pillowtop construction technology adds more comfort than an old mattress.
- It’s designed to be extra-thick so that it can conform to your body while it’s also good to cover decaying mattresses.
- 10-year warranty.
- It’s easy for maintenance.
- Great cooling properties that won’t leave you in sweat or feeling hot.
10. Keetsa Mattress Topper
Keetsa topper uses special BioFoam which is a foam made out of organic and harmless components. We believe it is a product worth mentioning for those who aren’t entirely ready to switch on wool, latex, or cotton. Its memory foam has body-conforming features, feels cool to sleep in it, and easily fits your mattress.
- BioFoam construction will rejuvenate your old and decaying mattress or soften an existing hard mattress.
- It boasts an amazing 5-year warranty and support.
- It conforms to your curves and cradles you to sleep.
- Great temperature regulation features.
You May Also Like: