Sleeping on your stomach can become hell if you’re using the wrong pillow. Usually, people who sleep on their back and sides use tall and large pillows that help keep their bodies in a neutral position, aligning the spine and neck.
For stomach sleepers, sleeping is slightly more different. Fortunately, sleeping on your stomach doesn’t have to be pain and discomfort. In this article, we reviewed 10 best pillows for stomach sleepers( but we only featured 5 of them).
Most people sleep on their back and side. A study showed that only about 7% of sleepers choose to sleep on the stomach. Because there is only a small portion that frequently sleeps on their stomach, there are not many options for pillows that are adjusted for stomach sleepers.
Still, there are a lot of good options that will help both people who sleep on the stomach through the night or frequently balance between their sides and belly.
Before that, we encourage you to read our compelling buying guide, that will help you personalize your experience, and choose the pillow that is right for you.
Types of Pillows for Stomach Sleepers
There are several types of pillows. Depending on their materials, dimensions, especially the height, and other properties they are more or less suitable for certain sleep positions. Still, let’s take a look at the types of pillows best suited for stomach sleepers.
- Memory Foam – a great option for stomach pillow because it can be compressed easily and it adjusts according to your head’s shape. Additionally, it responds pretty well to your body’s temperature. Memory foam is beneficial with muscular tension while helping your body stay aligned. The main con of memory foam pillows is because they retain heat, causing sleepers to get hot. Nevertheless, gel memory foam helps tackle that problem.
- Feather – Feathers refer to the outer layer of feathers found on ducks and sometimes geese. They easily adjust based on your head’s shape, helping promote spinal alignment and create a nice sleep environment for stomach sleepers. However, constant stressing of the sleep surface requires you to change the feathers and fluff the pillow regularly.
- Down – Down feathers refer to the inner layer of feathers of ducks and geese. They are a better option for stomach sleepers because it’s more durable and easier to shape accordingly for more comfort. Nevertheless, it still needs to be fluffed occasionally and is regardless less durable than other options in the market. It’ll help support your shoulders, neck, and head while providing a cool and smooth sleep surface.
Note: There is also an option called Down Alternative. It’s an organic and vegan version of Down. That said, it preserves all the properties of an organic Down pillow, without compromising the firmness and loft. But, it’s cruelty-free and more environment-friendly.
- Latex – Natural, organic latex is one of the best options for stomach sleepers. It is supportive of your head and neck and provides the necessary cradling and contouring support without burning you up. Additionally, it’s breathable so you don’t have to worry about it retaining heat. So far, the only issue with latex pillows is that they can be thick and heavy, so it’s more difficult to sleep on them.
- Buckwheat – Buckwheat pillows gathered a lot of attention and popularity over the past few years. Its buckwheat seed hulls are lightweight and if shaped properly can provide a great sleep surface for side and stomach sleepers. The buckwheat hulls are open and they help increase the airflow through the pillow. They contour to your head’s shape and give relieving sleep experience. The issue with them so far is that they are too loud for some sleepers, but the benefits outnumber the drawbacks.
Advantages and Disadvantages of Stomach Pillows
Benefits of Sleeping on Stomach Pillows
- You won’t feel restless and lose good night’s sleep overlaying on a pillow that is too thick and too high to support you.
- A lot of people rather choose to sleep without any pillow at all, than struggle with the wrong pillow. With a stomach pillow, you can sleep as well as anyone else sleeping on their back or side.
- It helps with back or neck pain.
- It will reduce or eliminate headaches that you may have. Sleeping on a stomach pillow will help provide the support you’d need with a pillow that is suitable for a different sleeping position.
- Sleeping on your stomach can help treat your sleep apnea. According to a study, belly compression done through sleeping on the stomach helps open the airways.
5 Best Pillow We Recommend for Stomach Sleepers
We hope that our buying guide made research easier for you. Now, we’ll present the 10 best pillows for stomach sleepers we tested and reviewed. This is how we sorted them.
1. Best Overall: The Belly Sleeper Pillow
The Belly Sleeper Pillow is all about sleeping on your belly, as its name suggests. The company was founded with a sole focus on stomach sleepers who face challenges in finding the right pillow for their sleep position, and that’s exactly what caught our attention.
- The pillow is at a perfect balance of affordable and mid-range pillow. With that in mind, it’s mostly available to everyone.
- High-density polyurethane foam, infused with gel particles that prevent heating.
- A comfortable and moldable sleeping surface that adds comfort to your night’s rest.
- Low-profile construction with only a 2.5-inch loft is perfect for original stomach sleepers.
- It comes with a 30-day free trial for you to test the pillow, while the warranty lasts forever.
- Bamboo polyester cover is easy to remove and wash when needed.
- It’s hypoallergenic and bacteria-resistant
The Belly Sleeper Pillow comes with a lot of wonderful features that no longer make sleeping a challenge for the rarest group of sleepers. The pillow boasts a super-thin profile, which is ideal for pure stomach sleepers. When we say super low profile, we mean it. The pillow boasts only a 2.5-inch layer of cooling memory foam, that provides superb support for your head and neck, molding to the shape of your head, allowing you to sleep peacefully.
Another great feature is that both cover and the pillow itself are hypoallergenic, preventing a bacteria breeding ground on the pillow, while also reducing snoring. The pillow is comfortable to sleep on and provides enough support and balance for spinal alignment.
If you’re worried about getting hot at night due to memory foam, don’t. The pillow is equipped with special gel particles that help regulate the temperature and release the trapped heat from the pillow. That way, you won’t be tossing and turning around. Instead, you’ll sleep through the entire night soundly and comfortably.
2. Runner Up: Brooklinen Down Alternative Pillow
Our runner-up option is natural, organic, and vegan. The Down Alternative Pillow by Brooklinen is designed so to completely mimic the look of the down.
- Midrange pillow with durable and long-lasting construction
- Uses organic and vegan materials, as a down alternative pillow.
- It comes in two sizes and three firmness options.
- The hypoallergenic design which helps prevent bacteria and dust mites.
- It’s good for sleepers who sleep on their side and stomach
- A year-long sleep trial and lifetime warranty.
It is available in two sizes, standard, and king, which makes it ideal for both children and adults who want to sleep on the stomach. Brooklinen Down Alternative Pillow comes with a higher loft compared to our first version, which means it is suitable for all sleepers, with an accent towards stomach sleepers who like to change sleep positions.
There are also three firmness options – plush, medium, and high. If you sleep on the stomach prominently, choosing plush or medium firmness will help you stay asleep even on the stomach. The pillow has a vegan design.
This pillow is a perfect blend of support and comfort. It’s best suited for stomach and side sleepers. It boasts a 100% Polyfill and 100% Cotton Sateen Shell. It’s also hypoallergenic and helps prevent the spread of bacteria, dust mites, and other germs on the bedding. It’s also made in the USA and uses double-stitched edges which make it more durable.
3. Best Budget: WonderSleep Dream Rite Pillow
This low-profile pillow is perfect for stomach sleepers and also provides great value for the price. It’s an 80% shredded memory foam pillow, which offers to contour and relaxing support. It’s comfortable and cool, thanks to the gel-infused memory foam.
- Extremely affordable and value-driven
- Shredded memory foam with gel infusions for a cooler sleeping
- Great contouring and comfort
- Hypoallergenic, moldable, and adjustable
- It’s easy to clean and maintain.
The pillow comes with a lot of great features. It’s hypoallergenic and is adjustable. That means you can adjust the level of memory foam you want to use in the pillow, even when it starts losing its loft. Also, the pillow is machine washable, so you can clean it regularly. Lastly, the cool memory foam will prevent you from sweating and feeling hot in the night.
4. Best Reversible: Discover Night Beauty Pillow
Reversible pillows are perfect for people who toss and turn a lot and also change their sleep preferences frequently.
- It’s an all-in-one pillow with great reversible features.
- It’s lightweight, yet sturdy enough to provide the necessary support.
- It comes with a 101-night sleep trial and 3 years warranty
- Promotes beauty by protecting your face from wrinkles, while also maintaining your hair.
- Machine-washable cover
The Night Beauty Pillow comes with two sides – one traditional suitable for all sleeping positions, especially the stomach one, with medium to firm feel. On the other side, there is a scooped design for the back and side sleepers and feels softer.
It is extremely comfortable, the airtight memory foam is cool and lightweight, allowing you to sleep enjoyably and comfortable. It promotes neck and spinal alignment so you won’t wake up achy and sore. It comes with a pillowcase made out of premium mulberry silk which gently embraces your face, and protects you from wrinkle sleeping. The pillowcase is washable, while the pillow allows for spot-on cleaning.
5. Best Cooling Pillow: Slumber Cloud Cirrus Pillow
Slumber Cloud makes pillows that make you sleep as if you’re on a cloud. But, what about NASA’s spaceship-like pillow? The Cirrus Pillow was engineered with NASA technology that helps you stay cool, comfortable, and fresh.
- You can choose the dimensions and firmness levels.
- It uses durable and premium materials in both the cover and pillow itself.
- It’s durable and hypoallergenic to prevent creepy crawlers.
- It comes with a 60-night sleep trial
- Uses Outlast technology, the technology NASA uses to regulate the temperatures of astronaut spacesuits.
It comes in two sizes, standard and king, is made out of polyester, and allows you to choose from soft to firmer engineering. It uses a special Outlast technology which releases the trapped heat and allows better airflow. While the pillow feels comfy for every sleep position, we recommend it the most for stomach sleepers. It allows great alignment between the spine and neck and keeps your head, neck, and shoulders in a convenient position.
It also comes with a hypoallergenic cover that is easily removable and washable. Still, make sure to follow the instructions for maintaining your pillow.
Features to Help You Shop for a Stomach Pillow
Finally, let’s take a look at some features worth pointing out for people who sleep on their stomachs. These features will help you when you’ll be shopping for the right sleep pillow.
It’s extremely important to consider your pillow’s dimensions because it also factors for the support of your head, neck, and shoulders. There are several dimensions to look at, although picking the right dimension is a personal preference as well as it’s proportional to your body’s shape. For example, if you have broad shoulders, you will prefer to sleep on Queen or king pillow. If you’re looking for a pillow for your child, you will likely go for Standard or Super Standard.
- Standard (20 x 26-inch)
- Super Standard (20 x 28-inch)
- Queen (20 x 30-inch)
- King (20 x 36-inch)
There are different shapes of pillows. Back and stomach sleepers lay on ergonomic pillows designed with a purpose, but finding that for stomach sleepers is more difficult than it sounds.
Nevertheless, most of the good stomach pillows we tested and reviewed are rectangular shapes, with a few exceptions of square pillows. It’s also important to note that pillows change their shape over time based on how you sleep on them and how good and durable their materials are.
Down and feather pillows change their shape easily, as well as memory foam thanks to their contouring. Still, memory foam eventually gets back to its shape and will hardly sag.
Height, also known as the loft is certainly the most important feature of a stomach pillow. It refers to the level of support that the pillow delivers. You can choose low, medium, or high loft. Many pillows are adjustable, so adding a loft or removing it will help you curate your sleep preferences if they change frequently. Mostly, people who sleep on their stomach will go for low profile pillows with a loft of 3 inches or under.
Those who sleep both on their sides and stomach will sleep between 3 to 5 inches loft. Opting for the right amount of loft will help you support your neck and shoulders while sleeping on the stomach, without waking up sore or aching.
- Low-profile – 3 inches or less.
- Medium profile – between 3 and 5 inches.
- High profile – more than 5 inches.
Combining height, materials, and a few more quality materials lead to comfortable and healthy sleep. Keep in mind that sleeping on a stomach pillow means getting enough support will be difficult. Nevertheless, a good support pillow will help your spine remain aligned with your neck and head even while you lay on the stomach. Some sleepers put stomach pillow under their hips to ensure a sufficient amount of support.
Some people prefer sinking into firmness, while some prefer firmer construction that provides them with more support. It’s important to note that this is a personal preference, but a softer, or eventually a more medium pillow will help sleepers sink in easier, while also adding up to support.
The most budget-friendly pillows can be found under $50. Midrange pillows that most of the stomach sleepers go after are between $50 and $100. Most expensive options can span as high as $150 and higher. Still, if you’re restricted on budget, there are a lot of good options for stomach sleepers.
Warranty is also an important factor for a good pillow for stomach sleepers. Warranty can last anywhere between 2 and 5 years. Some companies can offer up to 10 years with additional purchases or extra payment. Another important aspect to consider when purchasing these pillows is whether they come with sleep trial which can be anywhere from 30 to 120 days, depending on the manufacturer.
The materials determine how long will the pillow last. A good pillow will last anywhere between 3 and 5 years. Also, pillows that have more premium materials are more durable, while the cheap pillows need to be replaced. The most durable pillows are those made with down and down alternative as well as latex, due to good responsiveness of the material. Low-density memory foam may sag too quickly and need to be replaced.
Sleepers who tend to sleep on their stomach, but also change their sleep position through the night usually need to shape their pillow to be able to sleep. That’s why the pillow needs to allow for some customization in the form of molding and twisting it to adjust the height, especially when the pillow isn’t adjustable. Customization of a pillow is also important for sleepers with neck and back pain who want to ensure that there’s the perfect alignment between the spine and neck.
You Can Also Consider
6. Best Latex Pillow: Brooklyn Bedding Talalay Latex Pillow
- Hypoallergenic covers that protect even from latex allergy and are washable
- Natural Latex as mentioned above.
- 120 days of sleep trial and 2-year warranty
- Low-loft perfect for stomach sleepers
- Lightweight and durable
- Breathable and fresh
The Talalay latex pillow is great for those looking for lightweight, durable, and long-lasting latex pillows. It is available in queen and king options and sports a low loft especially designed for stomach sleepers. It provides superb support for neck and head, making the perfect spinal alignment. It’ll help you sleep the whole night, without waking up, tossing, turning, or feeling hot.
7. Best Adjustable: Coop Home Eden Pillow
- A mid-range pillow that is comfortable and ideal for stomach sleepers.
- CertiPUR-approved foam.
- Cruelty-free and hypoallergenic
- 100-night sleep trial and 5 years of warranty
- It has adjustable fill for adjustment of the firmness and loft
- Cool and breathable
Whether you sleep hot or have difficulties finding a perfect stomach sleeper pillow, this cruelty-free, hypoallergenic and CertiPUR approved pillow will change your sleep experience and bring an addition to your bedding. It’s perfectly comfortable and high-quality, gel-infused memory foam will help you sleep more restfully and refresh yourself in the morning. The hypoallergenic and washable cover makes the maintenance and sleep much easier.
8. Best Large Pillow: Pancake Pillow
- It’s hypoallergenic
- 100% cotton builds and 300 thread cover
- It’s durable and adjustable with 6 soft layers.
- It’s available in queen and king sizes
- It’s great for people who change their sleep positions
If your sleep preferences change frequently and the reversible pillow doesn’t feel right for you, this model will help you sleep both high and low. It’s ideal for couples and larger beds and boasts 100% cotton build. It is equipped with six soft pillow layers which you can adjust to your will. It is soft and hypoallergenic, meeting the sleep requirements of most people.
9. Best for Neck Pain: Layla Kapok Pillow
- Provides your neck and shoulders with support, eliminating pain.
- Aligns your spine and neck
- Feels comfortable and refreshing with good quality materials
- Copper construction allows more breathability and cooler sleep.
- Prevents wrinkling and hair breakage
- 5 years warranty and 120-night sleep trial
Layla Kapok Pillow will give you that floating sensation that no other pillow can give, ridding you of annoying morning neck pain and headaches in the process. It has a luxurious construction and feel, feels comfortable, cool, and refreshing, just perfect for a good night’s sleep.
Note: Layla is also featured in Best Copper Pillow: No More Mold or Germs?
10. Best Wedge Stomach Pillow: Hermell Face Down Pillow
- Multi-Purpose function makes it ideal for massaging on stomach, avoiding face wrinkles and even supportive of people who are recovering from an eye surgery.
- Poly-Cotton Cover is removable and machine washable
- Hypo-allergenic design
- It’s available in different sizes and dimensions.
- 2-inch loft at the part where head lays.
Wedge pillows are great for pain relieving of the spine, neck and other parts, because it promotes the neutral position of the spine even when you sleep on your stomach. You can also lay face down. It’s a great massage face pillow, it allows you to sleep comfortably and is easy for maintenance.