The sleeping industry has truly grown over the past few years and sleeping preferences frequently changed. If you’re one of those people who prefer to sleep on a super-plush bed that feels luxurious, soft, and beyond-everything comfortable, perhaps you should try using a pillow top mattress. In this article, we’ll review the best pillow top mattress and provide a compelling buying guide to help you shop for one.
What is a Pillow Top Mattress?
Pillow top is a specially designed mattress with a super-plush top sewn onto the mattress top. It’s an ideal investment for people who prefer firm innerspring or hybrid beds but also want modern, plush sensation.
The padding makes the mattress softer and adds up some contouring and conforming to body curves. It is a perfect balance of plush and contouring against the bounciness. The innerspring mattress usually feels too firm for some people, but they don’t want to invest in a mattress topper. This way, the pillow top feels more natural and blends with the entire bed easier.
Pillow Top vs. Euro Top
There are two types of “top” mattresses. The Euro top looks more sophisticated and usually is made using more premium and luxurious materials. On the other hand, the traditional pillow top mattress looks like a giant pillow was thrown and sewn onto its surface. The pillow top looks cushier while the Euro-top boasts finer textures which are often streamlined.
Nevertheless, both types are the different sides of the same coin and both are considered pillow-top mattresses on a broader spectrum.
5 Best Pillow Top Mattress in 2020
1. Best Overall: The Wink Bed Luxury Hybrid Bed
When it comes to the pillow top mattresses, they can ensure a luxurious sensation while feeling restorative and healthy for long and restful sleep.
After a careful search, we found that The Wink Bed Luxury Hybrid Bed is the best option that can deliver all those qualities. It is a medically-approved mattress, which can soothe your back pain and relieve stress while keeping you rested in the process.
It’s a hybrid bed, which means it combines foam with an innerspring core. Hybrid beds are one of the best options when it comes to getting more rest and restorative sleep, especially if you have chronic pain such as back or hip pain. On a mattress that naturally positions your body so that the weight and pressure are evenly distributed. When the body is relieved from the stress it gets from day to day obligations and works, you can sleep deeply so that your bones, muscles, and joints recover swiftly, especially if you had an injury.
The hybrid design features a luxurious euro-pillow top, which is ideal for people who’d like a firmer mattress while maintaining the plush elements for sleep. The innerspring design features five zones with the 3-step back relief system that keeps your spine in a neutral position despite the position you sleep with. Lastly, the springs have a special layer that can help isolate the noise so you won’t hear yourself or your sleeping partner as you’re changing your sleep position.
As for the hybrid aspect of the mattress, there is a high-end gel foam which is an ideal temperature regulator when it comes to sleeping on a hybrid mattress. It cools your body and absorbs your sweat, so you’ll wake up rested, dry, and cool. It prevents restless turning and tossing and keeps you asleep through the night. The gel foam layer is positioned under such an angle that ensures better breathability and hot air can leave the mattress with ease. Lastly, the pillow top mattress is surrounded by the TENCEL cover which adds up to the comfort and keeps you cool too.
- The therapeutic design which is ideal for people with spine and hip problems.
- Cushiony pillow top that provides extended comfort and extends your sleep.
- Lifetime warranty and 120-night sleep trial
- Flexible replacement plans in case the mattress loses on firmness over years
- Flexible firmness and thickness levels.
- Super-comfortable and sufficiently bouncy with perfect motion isolation.
2. Runner-Up: Brentwood Home Oceano Luxury Hybrid Mattress
Our runner-up options for the best pillow top mattress has some of the most gorgeous pillow top textures which make it more attractive and more comfortable for a lot of people.
The Oceano Luxury Hybrid Mattress combines innerspring coils as well as a lot more comfort layers that work together in providing impeccable and restful night sleep.
This luxurious mattress is equipped with nine comfort layers and each one of them serves a certain purpose in delivering comfort, relaxation, and convenience to your night rest. It boasts innovative micro-coils that are responsible, creates a bouncy sensation, and is sufficiently isolated in terms of noise not to make you wake up at night. They are what gives your mattress the firmness it needs to provide support and balance for your spine and hips. There are a total of 3,163 pocketed coils surrounded by five zones of support. It precisely responds to your body’s movements and thanks to the organic bio-foam hugs you to sleep. There are also five zones of surrounding support to provide a quieter environment.
The plant-based BioFoam helps your body stay comfortable and creates more of a medium-plush sensation rather than too firm as we stated in our first pick. It is also infused with gel-beads which absorb moisture and sweat and help you remain rested and relaxed without getting too sweaty through the night. Also, just under the layer of TENCEL covers with beautifully-crafted pillow top which will make you fall in love with it, there is a layer of organic wool which is another amazing temperature regulator so you’ll be cool in the summer and toasty in the winter nights.
- More affordable compared to our first pick which can be expensive for some people.
- Beautifully-crafted pillow top which absorbs your body curves and keeps you relieved from pressure.
- Bouncy and responsive coils, but also great motion isolation.
- One year-long sleep trial will guarantee that you’ll like the product.
- A layer of BioFoam infused with gel beads and a layer of wool to keep you cool and dry through the night.
- Amazing and reliable 25-year warranty.
3. Best Budget: DreamFoam Willow Eurotop Hybrid Mattress
Luxurious pillow top mattresses are extremely difficult and rare to find at a more budget-friendly part of the meter.
However, DreamFoam Willow mattress, while not the best looker, definitely is comfortable and feels luxurious, all that while being in the sub $500 level. It is a latex hybrid mattress with quilted foam on the top that ensures incomparable comfort and restful night sleep.
It boasts a nature-friendly and conscious design thanks to the Oeko-Tex class 1 Talalay latex in combination with Eurotop zipper box enclosure that adds up on support thanks to the quilted foam on top. The foam on top also has conforming properties, and as soon as you lay down to rest, the cloud-like foam will absorb you and cradle you to sleep. In addition to the regular foam, there’s also a unique convoluted foam base that provides a cooler night rest. The soft reflex foam makes the 1-inch of the total thickness, while the 8-inch convoluted foam base ensures great rest.
Lastly, the Talalay latex features 3-inch on the top, making a great and safe option for everyone – from babies to elderly. It is known for its exceptional value while providing a contouring sensation for the entire body.
- At $500, this mattress is a great value for those who want to sleep luxuriously but can’t spend $1,000 on a mattress.
- Great build for a mattress that is safe for everyone.
- Enclosed in a euro top enclosure with a quilted pillow top design which is both practical and comfortable.
- Conforms to your body curves and hugs you to sleep.
- It comes with a 10-year warranty and a 120-night sleep trial, which is more than enough time to test its performance.
4. Best Cool: Serta Perfect Sleeper Kleinmon II Pillow top Firm Queen Mattress
A lot of people have different sleeping preferences that conform to their sleeping style and help them fall asleep easier. If you tend to sweat and are hot sleepers in particular Serta firm mattress is the best option for you.
Aside from its beautifully-crafted pillow top with luxurious comfort, this bed also boasts a lot of thermo-regulation features that make it more breathable at night and easier to sleep in.
Those who prefer firm sleeping and more solid surface sleeping will enjoy the firm and health-oriented construction. It is ideal for people who want to make better posture and relieve the pain from their lower back. It’s also great for those who tend to sleep on their stomach because the luxurious pillow-top adds both comfort and firmness to your night rest.
It also boasts an amazing 13.75 high design, so it also feels sufficiently thick for both lighter and heavier sleepers. The spring construction also adds up on firmness and creates a restful and sleep-promoting sleeping environment. The coiled springs are a great option in this case because they create a more breathable environment for a better cooling effect.
- Beautiful pillow top with comfortable padding that adds softness and extra comfort.
- Firm design with coiled springs that ensure a better cooling effect.
- Great pricing and flexible delivery.
- Uses a unique HyperTouch technology that cradles your body to sleep and relieves the pressure points.
- Uses Twist Gel Memory Foam which is breathable and easily absorbs heat and sweat, channeling it outside your mattress.
5. Best Thick: The Winkbed Plus
The Winkbed Plus is a more advanced version of the best overall model we reviewed. However, it caters to heavier people and those who prefer sleeping on an extremely firm mattress.
It’s ideal for those who weigh from 250 pounds and higher because it combines latex, foams, triple-pocket coils with a breathable construction and pillow top that you’ll easily fall in love with.
The pocketed coils make perfect motion isolators, and they are quiet in the process. They are also important because they make up for pressure relief from the joints while making the optimal position of the spine.
You definitely won’t sink sleeping on this mattress. Instead, you’ll feel just like you sleep on the cloud, as it promotes lasting and restful sleep. The latex combination in the build also means better temperature regulation which is perfect for people who sweat or sleep hot.
Lastly, the edge support is also impeccable, so you don’t have to worry about sleeping on the edge. The combination of coils, foam, and latex will ensure that the entirety of the bed feels firm and stable and not just the middle of the bed. It’s ideal for sleeping in all positions, including the stomach one.
- The perfect balance of innerspring build, latex, and memory foam makes for a more conforming and relaxing sleeping experience.
- The latex build also makes for great temperature regulation.
- Amazing edge support.
- Lifetime warranty and 120-night sleep trial.
Best Pillow Top Mattress – FAQ
We Also Reviewed
6. Signature Design by Ashley 12 in. Chime Hybrid Mattress
Signature Design by Ashley is a gorgeous mattress, with 12-inch thickness and hybrid design that combines different zones and elements to ensure priceless sleep.
If there was a mattress that could win the designer’s award, it’s this one as the pillow top element of the mattress looks premium and beautiful.
What will make many light sleepers rejoice is that this model boasts extra-plush design? That means that the memory foam layer at the top will absorb and adjust to your body curves, making every sleeping position charm. This mattress is ideal for side sleepers with flexible positioning preferences. It uses supportive coils and pliant memory foam that helps you sleep cool and relaxed.
- Great lumbar support and ideal for side sleepers who want to sink into the eternal plush design.
- Affordable price, yet a wonderful design.
- High-density gel foam keeps you cool at night while providing a restful sleeping experience.
- 10-year limited warranty.
7. Sweetnight 10″ Medium Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
Sweetnight hybrid mattress with a gorgeous-looking pillow top is neither too firm nor soft, but just right. That makes it applicable to both lighter and heavier sleepers.
In addition to that, the mattress is 10-inches thick, allowing you to sink into comfort and convenience and enjoy sweet night rest. It boasts great cooling technology and is sufficiently breathable. The coils add up to the breathability and are surrounded by the supportive layer for great motion isolation. It is also hypoallergenic and has supportive edge support.
- High-density, breathable gel foam for great conforming performance and cooling properties.
- Coiled design with adequate motion support that provides quiet sleeping experience.
- 10-year limited warranty and a 120-night trial.
- A breathable build and gorgeous pillow top.
- Just right firmness.
8. Signature Sleep 13″ Hybrid Coil Mattress
Signature Sleep is one great pillow top mattress with magical features like bamboo-made rayon that helps absorb the moisture and sweat, keeping your body cool and dry.
It boasts a 1-inch pillow top in combination with 3-zone foam to provide extra comfort for the upper and lower back. It also uses independently-closed coils for firmness and better support through the night.
The foam in the mattress is approved by numerous certifications that help provide seamless relaxation and sleep experience, while also being safe to use.
- Bamboo-made rayon for great cooling properties.
- Body-conforming memory foam with cooling properties.
- Hypoallergenic materials.
- An extremely thick mattress which is ideal for all body groups.
- Great value for the price.
9. Zinus Dream Pillow Top 10″ Innerspring Mattress
Zinus is known for its great-quality memory foam mattresses with a Green Tea infusion. However, the innerspring mattresses don’t fall behind.
This model boasts a super-comfy and cushy pillow top that gives plush to the already extra-firm mattresses. It boasts 10-inch thickness, allowing you to feel as if you’re sleeping on a cloud. It works with all types of bases and will take your sleep cycle to the next level.
- It is a great value for the price.
- Durable and comfortable thanks to the high-quality springs.
- Extra-firm construction provides additional support for the spine and promotes healthy sleeping positions.
- 90-night sleep trial and 10-years warranty.
- Coiled springs add up to more breathability and better temperature regulation.
10. Rawles 13″ Plush Pillow Top Hybrid Mattress
Rawles pillow top hybrid mattress is a wonderful mattress in a box with 13-inch thickness and extra-plush sensation that is ideal for those who need instant pressure relief and hug to the dreamland.
It uses advanced materials and boasts cooling technology that keeps you cool and well-rested through the night. Pillow top ensures extra-comfort and balance.
- Great value for the price.
- Innovative and comfortable design with proper edge support.
- High-density gel memory foam keeps you well snug and cool through the hot winter nights.
- 100-night sleep trial.