There are a lot of joys that pregnancy brings, but also as many discomforts, one of them is sleeping. The body changes and thus prepares for the arrival of the baby which means a lot of hormonal and metabolic changes. In the last years, we’ve seen that a lot of sleeping accessories for pregnant women appeared, one of them are pillows for pregnancy.
However, even if you heard about them, getting one can get as complicated as rocket science. Don’t worry. In this article, we presented the best pillow for pregnancy and nine others. Lastly, we included a detailed and compelling guide that will help you choose the best pillow.
Pregnancy Pillow – First Impression
Benefits of Pregnancy Pillows
- They can alleviate pressure from your head, neck, belly, back, hips, and knees.
- They keep you in a fixed position and prevent tossing and turning.
- They provide neutral positioning of the spine and alleviate weight from your belly.
- They enhance blood flow and encourage healthy infant growth.
- It allows you to sleep longer and feel more rested in the morning.
- It can help with insomnia.
- It’s a useful asset after the delivery.
Drawbacks of Pregnancy Pillows
We couldn’t think of many reasons why a pregnancy pillow may have its drawbacks. Here are somethings that we minded, but they aren’t a deal-breaker.
- It can get hot. A lot of pregnancy pillows have a velvet cover which can get hot during sleep, especially during summer nights.
- A lot of them don’t come with warranties, so you’ll likely have to buy a new one in case of a second pregnancy, in case the pillow you use loses its shape.
Features to Consider When Shopping for a Pregnancy Pillow
A lot of people have different preferences which decide on picking the right pregnancy pillow. Below, we highlighted the most popular features pregnant women look for when shopping for a pregnancy pillow.
Pregnancy pillows come in all sizes, starting from small wedge pillows that provide support for your belly or lower back to full-size pillows from 50 to 65 inches in length. The U-shaped body pillows are longer and bigger and they provide warm support from both sides. However, some pregnancy pillows may be too big for your bed, and you should also consider the space where your sleeping partner sleeps.
There are several types of pregnancy pillows. Some are small enough to provide support only to a certain part of the body, but the most commonly used pregnancy pillows are the ones with C or U-shape, although some women use the L-shaped pillow which can give a lot of support and save space in the process.
C-shaped pillows are good for women who want to be hugged from behind while having enough support on their belly. Still, for women who want cradling on both sizes, U-shaped pillows are the best.
Additionally, U-shaped pillows make it easier for women who change their sleeping position through the night. It’s better because it doesn’t require re-adjusting the pillow as you sleep. We also have an educational article that guides you on how to sleep with each type of pregnancy pillow.
Materials also play a huge role in choosing the pillow for pregnancy because some models use polyester or vinyl covers which are worse at temperature regulation. The best models come with a cotton cover, they are more breathable and allow better air circulation.
10 Best Pillows For Pregnancy We Recommend
1. Best Overall: Leachco Snoogle Chic Supreme
There are not a lot of companies that will offer as supreme and soothing sleeping experience as the Leachco. After careful and thorough research, we found that this was the best option to find on the market.
There are a lot of Leachco offers that caught our attention but it’s the Chic Supreme pillow that won our heart and approval from thousands of satisfied expecting moms. So what’s so special about the Snoogle Chic Supreme? Everything, but we’ll detail it below.
Leachco Snoogle Chic Supreme is a C-shaped pregnancy pillow that is capable of covering the entire body. It looks gorgeous on the first look, it’s not too bulky and large, and yet it doesn’t compromise on the comfort in pregnant women. It is available in a plethora of colors like the cool blue, lightly latte, peaceful gray, and soothing white. That said, you can easily blend the color with your bedding and the rest of the bedroom.
It’s a C-shaped pillow, which means it’ll contour to every curve on your body, making the sleep experience more relaxed and pain-relieving. It was designed by a registered nurse and a mom who wanted to make sleeping more comfortable for everyone, especially expecting women with difficult pregnancies. The pillow comes with a 100% cotton that counts 300 threads to make it more cool and relaxing. In addition to that, the pillow is made out of the polyester fiber, although the cotton cover makes it a cooler sleeping experience.
When it comes to its therapeutic performance, this pillow exceeds all our expectations. It is great for women who have difficulties with lower back pain, while also providing soothing support for the hips and tummy in such a way that can be used for body elevation. Lastly, the cover is removable by a zipper, which means you can easily wash and clean it. To make things better, the cover is dryer-friendly, while the pillow shouldn’t be washed.
- Unprecedented comfort and soothing night rest.
- Will help you fall asleep easier and maintain asleep through the rest of the night.
- Especially beneficial for the lower back, hip, and tummy support.
- Its 100% cotton cover feels super-comfortable and is easy to clean and wash.
- It’s available in a lot of colors and is easily adjustable.
2. Runner Up: Malouf Sleep Z Wrap-Around Pregnancy Pillow
Malouf Sleep Wrap-Around pillow is our runner up option because it also represents the top-tier of healthy and soothing night rest for the expecting women. Its detailed C-shape conforms to the entire body with women experimenting with different positions for sleeping which may suit them and the baby the best.
Unlike our first option, it comes only in white color, but that shouldn’t be the judge of its unprecedented quality, which is exactly why we put it in second place.
This full body pillow will allow you to cover all parts of the body that suffer and go through the maternity discomfort and alleviate it through the night. It’s made out of soft down-alternative fill and gelled microfiber which, not only hugs you to sleep but also keeps you at cooling comfort even during extremely hot nights when sleeping on a cool sleeping surface is more than welcome.
It will cover your entire body so you won’t need to use multiple pillows that can slip and cause you discomfort and to wake up through the night. The filling is hypoallergenic and uses gel-coated microfibers to add up to softness and breathability of the pillow. Lastly, it uses a 100% Tencel cover for guaranteed comfort and balance in sleeping.
- Extra soft and comfortable for extended comfort.
- 100% Tencel cover as well as a gel-infused microfiber to add up to cool feeling through the night.
- Covers the entire body and provides support for neck, shoulders, tummy, lower back, and hips.
- Amazing three-year warranty.
3. Best Budget: Boppy Pregnancy Wedge Pillow
Wedge pillows may not be everyone’s choice because they don’t conform to the entire body but work mostly to support and balance the belly. However, those who are restricted on budget, or are not looking for full-body support, the Boopy wedge pillow will make you happy and well-rested.
It easily conforms to the baby bump, but it can also work in a way to support your spine, particularly the lower back pain. The firm design also makes it suitable if you have to travel and need additional support while sleeping abroad. It’s compact in design, so it can easily fold and pack up. It is made out of a memory foam construction which allows additional comfort and balance during sleeping.
It also uses a removable cushion cover which is easy for maintenance. It can be washed in the machine, while also possible to tumble dry it in the dryer. However, it’s important to note that it can’t be ironed, while you can non-chlorine bleach it as you need it.
Lastly, you can get very creative while using it, some people prefer to use it to sleep with it, while some prefer to accommodate your pet or even help knees recover from an injury. If your knees suffer from this pregnancy, you can also use it to alleviate the pain and pressure.
- It’s suitable to support each part of the body separately, such as the back, belly, and even knees. Perfect for side sleeping.
- It’s an amazing value for the price.
- Removable cushion cover that can easily be cleaned and washed.
- Comfortable and won’t make your back or belly sweat.
- It’s ideal for those who travel.
4. Best U-shaped Pillow: Moonlight Comfort-U Total Body Pregnancy Support Pillow
U-shaped pillows are some of the most comfortable and versatile pillows for pregnancy. They can cover the entire body and oftentimes they can be oversized and accompany even those heavier sleepers. They are amazing for women who often change their sleeping positions and like to do an extra stretching in the morning.
It’s equipped with a premium filling fiber known as the Fusion Fiberfill, a synthetic material that adds up to the breathability so women can have more relaxation. Additionally, it will conform to your body curves and easily cradle you to the dreamland.
The materials it was made of will ensure that the pillow won’t lose on quality overtime so no worries about fluffing. The premium materials will also help you sleep in a fixed position without tossing, turning, and constantly waking up tired.
If you don’t feel like only using it while sleeping, The Comfort-U pillow is also a great companion for reading, watching TV, or simply strolling through your phone notifications and social media. It also comes with an amazing cover that is washable and can easily be maintained.
- No odors, beautiful hypoallergenic materials that make sleeping sweet and soothing.
- Comfortable from sleeping to reading and watching TV.
- It’s suitable for both heavier and petite types.
- It’s lightweight and helps you fall asleep with ease.
5. Best Plush: Restorology 60-Inch Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
Some soon-to-be moms would enjoy sleeping in an ultra-comfortable and soft pillow that can meet all their demands and soothe each part of their body, especially while experiencing the maternity discomfort. One of such pillows is the Restorology 60-inch full body pregnancy pillow in the shape of C.
It is designed for pregnant women who are having difficulties falling asleep due to restless baby, back pain, or other types of discomfort that come with high-risk pregnancies. The pillow was designed so that it’d accommodate and naturally conform each body shape, as well as curve and alleviate the pressure and weight of it allowing a flawless rest. While it was designed for pregnant women, this pillow is ideal for everyone who could use snugglier sleep hygiene.
The C-shape is ideal for those who have unbearable pain and want to make it more comfortable on themselves. It is a great supporting device for the back, belly, hips, shoulders, and neck. Also, women who experience frequent heartburn during pregnancy should have a lot of benefits from this pillow. It’s also made out of a hypoallergenic cover which is zip up and easy to clean and tumble dry. You can also wash it in the washing machine.
- It’s an amazing value because it can cover the entire body and conform to all curves.
- Feels plush and extremely comfortable, allowing you to sink into the softness and sleep with ease.
- Alleviates pressure and pain from the pressure points. It’s also good for heartburn relieving.
- Hypoallergenic cover that can easily be washed and tumble-dried.
6. INSEN Pregnancy Pillow
If you’re suffering from a maternity-influenced body discomfort and aching, this C-shaped, velvet-made pregnancy pillow will put an end to your sleepless nights and suffering.
The C-shaped pillow ergonomically fits the entire body and contours your curves, supporting neck, belly, hips, knees, shoulders, and most importantly, it provides neutral positioning for your spine.
- It’s great for women who aside from sleeping want to lounge nursing, feeding, watching TV, or reading.
- Cradles your curves to sleep, and keeps you asleep without tossing, turning, and waking up.
- It’s extremely comfortable and also foldable into multiple positions.
- Outer and lining case with a zipper so that the stuffing can be regulated.
- The cover is also washable.
7. PharMeDoc Maternity Pillow
This medically-approved maternity pillow is made out of smooth Jersey Knit cotton cover that is removable and you can wash it. The C-shaped pillow was made particularly for women going through difficulties and aches of the third trimester.
It makes the overall sleep cycle easier and more bearable and even after the pregnancy, it can suit you well if you suffered an injury or went through surgery.
- Contouring material ideal for back, neck, shoulder, belly, and hip support.
- Multi-practical experience, you can rest, watch TV, read, and nurse.
- Specially designed for third-trimester-associated back pain and tiredness.
- Lifetime warranty which means you can use it forever.
8. Meiz Pregnancy Pillow
Meiz pregnancy pillow is simply amei-zing, for many reasons. It’s available in multiple colors you can easily fit with the style of your bedroom, and easily replaces multiple pillows you’d use during the pregnancy. It helps with support on the head, neck, belly, hips, knees, and more.
This pregnancy pillow also proved itself effective with cases of fibromyalgia, sciatica, congestion, carpal tunnel syndrome, tossing and turning, and more. Most efficient performance is found during the third trimester.
- 55-inch support in U-shape for the entire body and inflamed body parts.
- It’s effective in treating other conditions too.
- It uses a machine-washable material which comes with double zippers to access the filling.
- Multifunctional, can easily be used during nursing or reading.
9. AngQi Full Body Pregnancy Pillow
L-shaped pillows aren’t often seen among pregnant women, but if you’re a side sleeper, there’s no doubt you can keep using it well after giving birth. It’s soft and comfortable and provides good support for the neck and belly in the process.
It promotes a healthy posture and helps you sleep with ease and muscle pain alleviation. It also boasts a trendy breathable inner cover. The outer cover is made out of velvet and it’s easy to wash.
- It works ideally for side sleepers.
- Strong filling material for sleeping free of discomfort.
- Great customer service.
- Machine-washable material so you can always be clean.
10. Chilling Home Pregnancy Pillow
This pregnancy pillow provides support for the head, shoulders, and neck, as well as leg, and ankle support. Aside from its pregnancy properties, it’s also suitable for patients with fibromyalgia, reflux, congestion, and pain associated with legs.
The U-shaped style of the pillow makes it ideal for multiple uses, such as watching TV, resting, reading, or nursing. It can also be used by athletes and people in physical therapy.
- It can be used for multiple uses aside from pregnancy.
- Strong and durable filling that won’t lose shape over time.
- Hypoallergenic PP cotton.
- Removable and washable cover.
Pregnancy pillows are valuable assets in overcoming pain and discomfort during the second and third semesters. Aside from that, they’re a durable option for people recovering from an injury or surgery. We hope that the models we reviewed will help you choose the right option, but it’s important to listen to your body and follow what it needs.