Sleep apnea has become one of the most prevalent sleep disorders in the last few years. The number of sleep apnea patients has reached tens of millions in the United States alone. If untreated, sleep apnea can lead to serious health complications, and can even become life-threatening.
Luckily, there are several treatment options for sleep apnea that are deemed effective. For example, CPAP, APAP, and BPAP machines are generally prescribed to sleep apnea patients as the most common treatment option.
Now, if you suffer from sleep apnea, you’re probably aware of how uncomfortable it can be while receiving the PAP therapy. Each of the aforementioned machines requires a mask; the patient puts the mask on the face to receive the air. This mask usually covers either the whole or half of the face.
There are even masks that only cover the nose, but those are rather expensive. So, what can you do to mitigate the discomfort during sleep? Well, you can surely opt for a sleep apnea or CPAP pillow. In the following paragraphs, we’ll shed some light on a few exceptional sleep apnea pillows that you can buy right now!
Sleep Apnea Pillow Overview
Types Of Sleep Apnea Pillows
- Orthopedic memory foam pillows (We feature Coisum Back Sleeper Cervical Pillow) – these pillows feature indentations and cutouts to provide perfect spinal and neck support, as well as support for the CPAP mask. These are usually made for people who sleep on their back and use nasal or low-impact masks. We feature
- CPAP memory foam pillows (We feature EnduriMed CPAP Pillow) – these pillows are specially designed to be CPAP mask friendly. They ensure the proper head position, as well as the mask position thanks to the cutouts.
- Wedge pillows (We feature Relax Home Life Wedge Pillow ) – these pillows are excellent for sleep apnea patients who experience GERD, heartburn, or acid reflux issues. Wedge pillows allow the users to sleep on an incline so that the torso is elevated.
- Adjustable pillows (We feature Coop Home Goods Adjustable Anti-Snoring Pillow) – these pillows usually feature different heights and enable you as a user to change the memory foam filling. This is excellent for CPAP users, as they can adjust the pillow to ensure mask stability as well as general sleeping comfort. The memory foam filling is usually made from shredded foam, which customers receive together with the pillow.
What To Look For When Buying A Sleep Apnea Pillow?
- Firmness and comfort – firmness and comfort of the pillow is essential for sleep apnea patients. Sleeping with a mask on the face can pose numerous challenges for sleep quality. So, having a firm and comfortable pillow can provide the necessary support, not only for the head, neck, and upper back but also for the mask to stay in place throughout the night. The better the pillow, the less you will toss and turn, so comfort and firmness are equally important.
- Safety – the sleep apnea pillow you choose needs to be safe for you. Because sleeping with CPAP is difficult, you need a pillow that won’t provide additional stress on your skin and cause allergies. So, opt for a hypoallergenic pillow, made from natural fabrics. The pillow should also have a removable and washable cover, to ensure cleanliness and skin-friendliness.
- Sleeping position – you should buy a pillow that is in accordance with your sleeping position. There are sleep apnea pillows specially designed for back, side, or stomach sleepers. If you buy a pillow that doesn’t suit your sleeping position, you could encounter further sleeping difficulties, as well as snoring and breathing difficulties.
- Neck, shoulder, and upper back pain – if you’re someone who, alongside sleep apnea, experiences soreness and pain in the neck, shoulder, and upper back area, you should be careful what you buy. Opt for sleep apnea pillows that are contoured, provide neck support, and fill the gap between the neck and the shoulder. The pillow should provide proper support and promote spinal alignment, which is essential for keeping the airways open during sleep.
5 Best Sleep Apnea Pillows for 2022: Detailed Reviews
1. Best Contouring CPAP Pillow – EnduriMed CPAP Pillow
Best for – CPAP, BPAP, and APAP users who prefer contouring pillows that won’t underperform regardless of their weight or preferred sleeping position!
The EnduriMed is currently one of the best sleep apnea pillows on the market. The pillow is created from a high-quality memory foam which ensures contouring and proper posi/.”tion of your head, even with a face mask on.
EnduriMed comfort pillow is designed to provide comfortable sleep regardless of the sleeping position. You can sleep on the back, side, or stomach, and still get a comfortable, good night’s sleep.
The pillow is modeled to have parts of different thickness levels, which makes it great for lighter or heavier sleepers, as well as for people who experience neck and upper back pain. Not to mention that the pillow features indentations to ensure the CPAP mask stays put as you sleep.
- Made from high-quality contouring memory foam
- Offers 2 levels of thickness for lighter and heavier sleepers
- Suitable for back, side or stomach sleepers
- One side of the pillow is bigger and the other is smaller, to appeal to different body types and sleeping preferences
- Features ergonomic mask cutouts
- Comes ready to use; it doesn’t require stuffing and re-filling
- Comes with a washable pillow cover
- The placement of indentations may be awkward to some users
- In some instances, the cutouts in the pillow tend to push onto the mask and cause irritation on the skin
- The pillow may be too low for users who require their pillows to be a bit elevated
2. Best CPAP Side Sleeping Pillow – Scandvia CPAP Pillow
Best for – CPAP, BPAP, and APAP users who prefer to sleep on their side, regardless of the type of mask they use.
If you’re a side sleeper who suffers from sleep apnea, the Scandvia CPAP pillow is made for you. The pillow is created specifically for side sleepers who have to wear masks during sleep.
It is made from soft, yet comfortable and contouring memory foam. The foam if modeled to cradle the head without creating additional pressure onto the neck, shoulders, and the upper back area.
Overall, the pillow is designed to position your head in such a way to keep the airway open and to alleviate the mask pressure on your face. It will also provide appropriate support to your neck and spine, and keep them aligned throughout the night.
- Made from high-quality contouring memory foam
- Designed to keep the airway open and reduce mask pressure on the face
- Designed to fit the mask as well as your head
- Doesn’t press against the connective hose, so it prevents kinks, openings or mask leak
- Made with side sleepers in mind
- Features ergonomic design
- Comes with a washable pillow cover
- The pillow is not made for restless sleepers, who toss from one side to the other
- The pillow might be too squishy for some sleepers, especially those who don’t wear the mask during sleep
- The headrest area might be too small for some users, especially those who wear the CPAP mask during sleep
3. Best CPAP Back Sleeping Pillow – Coisum Back Sleeper Cervical Pillow
Best for – CPAP users who prefer to sleep on their back but require proper neck and head support while in that position.
The Coisum pillow is not initially designed to be a CPAP, or sleep apnea pillow. However, its design and potential when it comes to utilization for CPAP users and sleep apnea patients have made it one of the best choices on the market.
The pillow is designed to be used by people who prefer to sleep on their back. It is orthopedic and made to provide proper support to the head and neck, and as well as provide proper spinal alignment.
Because the pillow is orthopedic and curved, it is perfect for CPAP users; it will prevent you from misplacing the mask in your sleep, which is of great importance.
- Made from high-density memory foam to provide firm support
- Promotes perfect neck, shoulder and spine alignment
- Features a whole inside the pillow to cradle the head; optimal for CPAP users who use full face masks as this position keeps the mask in place
- Features cutouts and curves to provide overall support
- Features two pillow heights
- Features a skin-friendly pillowcase
- The pillowcase is breathable and washable
- It may take some time to get used to sleeping on this pillow
- Customers have complained about the odor of the pillow, which takes several days to dissipate
- Customers have complained about the pillow being too firm
4. Best Wedge Sleep Apnea Pillow – Relax Home Life Wedge Pillow
Best for – CPAP, BPAP and APAP users who experience loud snoring as well as GERD or acid reflux symptoms associated with sleep apnea
If you suffer from sleep apnea, but also experience issues with acid reflux, heartburn, and GERD, you’re at the right place.
The Relax Home Life wedge pillow is created to mitigate and relieve the symptoms of gastrointestinal issues, as well as provide a good night’s sleep without snoring or gasping for air.
The pillow is 7.5 inches and the wedge design encourages open airways as well as elevation of the torso. This is surely an industry-leading design that has proven effective with thousands of sleep apnea patients.
The pillow is made from high-quality materials and features a cool bamboo cover. Everything about this pillow is carefully designed to provide you with the best sleep possible, especially if you suffer from sleep apnea.
Do you know: Wedge pillow also works great for people with back pain, check our top 4 choices.
- Made from a memory foam top layer, and a firm base, foam layer
- The only pillow to feature a bamboo viscose cover
- Promotes torso elevation for open airways and relieved snoring, sleep apnea, heartburn and GERD symptoms
- Perfect for sleep apnea patients who use full-face masks
- The pillow is 7.5 inches in height and has a 1.5-inch contouring memory foam layer
- Perfect for side, back or stomach sleepers
- One of the most comfortable wedge pillows on the market
- Features a fully removable and washable cover
- Some customers have complained about having sore neck and upper back after sleeping on this pillow
- Some customers have complained about a strong chemical odor that doesn’t dissipate even after several days
- The length of the pillow could be an issue for non-CPAP users
5. Best Adjustable CPAP Pillow – Coop Home Goods Adjustable Anti-Snoring Pillow
Best for – sleep apnea patients who experience serious cases of snoring, even with the CPAP treatment, and are looking for a pillow of the perfect height and adjustability
This adjustable pillow is made to provide perfect sleep to sleep apnea patients regardless of their preferred sleeping position. For those who sleep on their back, this pillow can elevate the torso a little bit and ensure the airways are open.
And, for those who sleep on their side, this pillow will fill the gap between the neck and the shoulders, and ensure your CPAP mask stays in place. The pillow always ensures proper spinal alignment and is of a perfect hight. This means that it will reduce your snoring issues, or completely prevent them from occurring.
- Made from high-quality gel-infused memory foam
- Adjustable design allows the users to add or remove the memory foam fill according to their needs and preferences
- The pillow features a blend of bamboo-derived viscose rayon and polyester to provide breathability and softness
- The pillow provides support to those who sleep with their CPAP mask; the adjustable memory foam filling ensures the mask stays put
- The pillow is hypoallergenic and dust mite resistant
- The pillow is vegan and cruelty-free
- The pillow comes with a 100-night sleep trial, including free return
- Some customers have complained about the odor of the pillow; in some cases the odor did not dissipate even after several days
- The memory foam filling can take some time to iron and flatten out, so the pillow needs to be filled at least a few hours before sleep
- The pillow can be too soft for heavier sleepers
Sleep apnea is one of the leading sleeping disorders of modern-day. Therefore, alongside CPAP treatment, sleep apnea patients need further support and betterment of their sleep.
Sleep apnea pillows are an excellent way to enhance the effects of CPAP treatment. So, if you’re looking for such a pillow, make sure to do some thorough research and consult with your doctor or sleep specialist. We hope that our choices for the best sleep apnea pillows will help you make a good decision.