Getting a good night’s rest is difficult when you have a painful back. It is usually the inability to find the right position which is both comfortable and not compressing to the painful muscle and back areas. This often leads to sleep deprivation, and lying in an uncomfortable and improper posture can even further aggravate the back pain.
So, what is the solution to this widespread problem? We believe that, alongside all the medically prescribed treatments for back pain, proper pillows can do wonders for your back and your sleep.
The pillows in question are wedge pillows; orthopedic appliances designed to provide pain relief to those with back conditions, people with poor circulation, or people suffering from GERD, acid reflux, or heartburn.
Wedge pillows are not standard pillows; they are significantly wider and heavier, as they’re made from one or several layers of foam. These pillows also have a significant inclination, to elevate your upper body and back, or to support your knees if you want to elevate them too.
So, without further ado, we’re going to take a look at some of the best wedge pillows for back pain we’ve come across during our research.
Our choices are based on positive customer reviews, owner experiences, and further analysis of the products. So, let’s get started!
4 Best Wedge Pillows For Your Bad Back: Detailed Reviews
1. Zenesse LuxeLift Adjustable Support Therapy Wedge Pillow
Best for: back pain, back injury, GERD, acid reflux, back and leg support, snoring, hot sleepers
- 2″ Gel-infused memory foam comfort top
- Natural bamboo pillowcase
- Multi-purpose split height design
- Recommended by doctors for neck, shoulder, and back pain, as well as back injuries, and GERD
- Suitable for back conditions like fibromyalgia
- Fully adjustable as knee support and leg elevation
- Suitable for pregnancy relief (pregnancy back pain)
- Keeps you cool, dry, and comfortable
What We Think
If you’re experiencing frequent back pain caused by strenuous work or exercise, or you suffer from a back condition, this wedge pillow will surely help you out. The wedge is high enough to provide support for the whole back and neck area, and it allows you to keep a proper posture and sleeping position throughout the night.
The pillow has a bumpy texture on the very surface which serves not only to secure the pillow cover but also has a gentle massage effect for your lower and upper back. If you require more support for your back in the knee area, the pillow can easily serve as knee support and leg elevation for back pain, sciatica, arthritis, lower back, hip pain, etc.
The pillow is excellent for people who experience poor circulation, acid reflux, and heartburn, a herniated disc, or simply need better support during sleep.
- Adjustable height
- Orthopedic support (therapy foam base)
- Gel-infused memory foam top
- Luxury, bamboo pillow cover
- Removable and washable pillow cover
- Durability and high-quality materials
- Exceptional back pain relief and back support
- Odor and smell upon unpacking and first few uses
- Customers complained about the odor triggering their asthma and worsening sleep apnea
2. Brentwood Zuma Foam Wedge Pillow
Best for: upper and lower back pain, neck pain, individuals with respiratory problems, shoulder pain, GERD, acid reflux, and heartburn
- Even though the pillow is firm, there are several thickness options
- Available in 7″, 10″, and 12″
- Made from PCF memory foam
- Excellent support for the upper and lower back
- High-quality materials make it durable and long-lasting
- Thicker options provide a suitable headrest
- Gradual slope excellent for acid reflux, sciatica, and breathing problems
- Soft stretch knot bamboo pillow cover
- The cover is removable and washable
What We Think
Finding a wedge pillow that isn’t too high, too soft, or uncomfortable can be hard. Fortunately, the Zuma foam wedge pillow is non of the above; the pillow has a gradual slope, allowing the user to find the best sleeping position that won’t aggravate back pain and result in them sleeping in an almost seated position.
Moreover, the pillow is incredibly soft on the surface, but inside, it features a thicker foam that provides support for the whole back, neck, and shoulder area. It can also be used as knee and leg support in case your back condition requires such a sleeping position. It is also surely helpful for individuals who deal with acid reflux and heartburn.
Overall, the Brentwood is a completely reliable pillow; it won’t lose shape over time and will support your back for years to come.
- Suitable for sleepers of all weight and size (tall, short, lighter, heavier)
- The thicker pillow levels provide a proper headrest
- Suitable for back pain relief, and back conditions (sciatica, fibromyalgia)
- Luxury, bamboo pillow cover
- Removable and washable pillow cover
- High-quality materials
- Durable and long-lasting
- Good for hot sleepers (pillow breathability)
- Odor and smell upon unpacking, lasting for several uses
- Possible issues with size ordering and deciding which incline one should choose
- Some customers complained about sliding down the pillow as they slee
3. Relax The Back Purefit Adjustable Wedge Pillow System
Best for: back pain, lower back issues, knee pain, muscle soreness and spasms, poor leg circulation, GERD, acid reflux, heartburn, hot sleepers
- 4-piece adjustable wedge pillow system
- 3-piece back support wedge pillows and additional knee support wedge pillow
- High-end materials (OUTLAST fabric)
- Made from eco-memory foam and high-density top foam
- Improvement in body circulation and temperature regulation
- Excellent support for upper and lower back
- Additional pillow for neck, shoulder, and head support
- Ensures optimal resting and sleeping position
- Suitable for people with back conditions (sciatica, fibromyalgia, etc.)
- Aligns the pelvis and lumbar spine
What We Think
Not all high-end wedge pillows have their prices justified, but when it comes to Relax The Back products, you can expect the best. Their 4-piece wedge pillow system has an ergonomic design made to provide support to every part of the body. It does especially concentrate on the back area, as well as the neck, shoulder, and knee support.
The pillows allow you to be comfortable in any of the three positions; sleeping, sitting, or reading. The layer of pressure-relieving memory foam makes these pillows excellent for back pain and back conditions like sciatica, scoliosis of fibromyalgia.
Not to mention that the pillows ensure acid-reflux-free mornings, and relieve the symptoms of heartburn and GERD.
- 4 pieces of adjustable wedge pillows
- Ensures comfortable seated and slightly reclined position
- Quick set-up and break-down for sleep or relaxation
- Luxurious plush cotton covers with faux suede sides
- Aligns the whole body and ensures a proper position
- Reduces upper and lower back pain relieves the tension from the lumbar spine
- Ergonomic pain relief
- Contours under the back and neck for ultimate comfort
- Takes more place to store than a regular wedge pillow
- Might not be comfortable for taller people
- Some customer find the foam too dense and too hard on the back
- Each new adjustment of the pillow requires getting out of bed and moving the pieces of the wedge pillow system
4. Healthex Bed Cooling Wedge Pillow
Best for: elevated support, lower back pain, acid reflux, heartburn, allergies, snoring, hot sleepers
- Ergonomic design for ultimate comfort
- 10-inch, (24 x 24 x 10) foam wedge for bed with a 30° desirable inclination
- Cooling gel memory foam
- High-density contouring memory foam
- Enhances sleep posture and provide support for the lower back area
- Suitable for respiratory issues, GERD, acid reflux, and sciatica pain
- Removable and washable pillow cover
What We Think
The Healthex wedge pillow is a product that will be worthy of your every cent. It is a high-quality pillow designed to adjust your sleeping position so that there is no pressure and compression of your lower back muscles and nerves. It is extremely comfortable and every time you use it, it will contour to the shape of your back and neck area.
Numerous customers claim the pillow has helped relieve the pain from sciatica, fibromyalgia, muscle and lower back injury, even GERD and heartburn.
Not to mention, the pillow is excellent for hot sleepers, and people who sweat excessively in their sleep; it will stop the night sweats and provide a permanent cooling surface.
- The pillow is sturdy and comfortable
- Designed to be durable and long-lasting
- The memory foam is medium-firm and is completely contouring
- Exceptional support for the lower back area
- Suitable for back conditions like scoliosis, sciatica, and fibromyalgia
- Suitable for people with sleep apnea and respiratory issues
- Ergonomic pain relief and posture alignment
- Might not be suitable for smaller or lighter individuals; the pillow might be too hard
- Some customers complained about the pillow being slippery
- There is a possibility of you sliding down the pillow during sleep
We Recommend You Also Check
- Neck Solutions Bed Wedge Pillow System – we decided to include another wedge pillow system on this list because these systems seem to be targeting all the essential points for back pain relief.
This bed wedge pillow is designed to provide comfort, relaxation, and back pain relief. It fixes the posture as you’re lying or sleeping. Not to mention, the 4 pillows work together to relieve strain and tensions, allowing the back muscles and ligaments to relax and destress.
- Mattress Genie Adjustable Bed Wedge Pillow System – if you and your partner share the same back pain issue, neck problems, or acid reflux, then this adjustable bed wedge pillow system will work miracles for both of you.
The wedge is placed under the upper part of the mattress, elevating and so that you’re sleeping in an upright position. This system targets neck, shoulder, and back pain, as well as respiratory issues, GERD, acid reflux, and heartburn problems.
It is extremely comfortable, and it won’t have you sliding down the mattress as you sleep, since the wedge is under the mattress.
- Xtreme Comforts Memory Foam Bed Wedge Pillow – this is one of the best ergonomic pillows for people who experience back pain or back conditions like sciatica and disorder of the lumbar region.
The 30-degree inclination is perfect for proper back positioning and pressure relief, which makes it truly comfortable and supportive.
The pillow has enhanced lower back support, cooling, and temperature regulating system, and is suitable for different types of sleepers. It is also suitable for lighter or heavier, and taller of shorter individuals equally.
Wedge Pillows For Back Pain: Buyer’s Guide
How Do Wedge Pillows Help Back Pain?
Wedge pillows help relieve back pain in numerous ways;
- By propping the body upon a wedge pillow, it removes the pressure on the lumbar region of the back (the lower back) and cervical spine. It removes the pressure, possible compression of the nerves, and ensures a proper sitting and sleeping position.
- If you have a medical condition (like sciatica or fibromyalgia), wedge pillows can improve the spinal alignment and prevent aggravation of the pain due to improper sleeping position.
- By using a wedge pillow, you’ll alleviate the pressure on the whole back and neck area, and not only relieve pain, but prevent the worsening of the condition overall. Wedge pillows prevent the development of additional pressure points and make sure no nerves are being compressed during sleep.
More to Know:
Note: If you don’t want to buy a wedge pillow to reduce and regulate back pain, you can try some equally good alternatives.
For example, go for a neck pillow, which is known to promote proper spinal alignment and reduce the pressure on the back during sleep.
There are also specialized contoured pillows or body pillows that can serve as a proper back support during sleep.
- 8 Best Firm Mattress Toppers for Hot Sleepers And People Suffer From Back Pain
- Best Stretches For Back Pain: Relieving Stressed Back Muscles
What To Look For In A Wedge Pillow?
- Shape – the majority of wedge pillows have a triangular shape, and that shape is the best fitting for cases of back conditions and neck/back pain.
On the other hand, the surface shape in wedge pillows can be different; it can be either contoured or completely flat. Some wedge pillows systems can feature a detachable headset and additional bottom pillows to allow the inclination and height of the main pillows.
- Inclination – when it comes to back pain, the inclination of the wedge pillow is essential. The inclination in such pillows starts at 7 inches up to 10 or 12 inches.
Some pillows have an adjustable inclination system, while others have a more gradual approach to inclination. Lower inclination pillows are suitable for sleeping, while higher inclinations are best for the seated position, or watching TV.
- Firmness – the best wedge pillows are medium-firm or firm. Softer models aren’t recommended for back pain issues, since your back does require some support, especially during sleep.
Some wedge pillows have different firmness levels at different sides, so that can be useful to people who experience back pain temporarily (after a workout or a long day at the office).
- Material – the best wedge pillows feature materials like high-quality memory foam (multiple layers of memory and gel memory foam usually), and soft covers made from hypoallergenic fabrics, like cotton or synthetic fabrics like bamboo, rayon, or polyester.
If you’re a hot sleeper, we recommend cotton and bamboo covered pillows, since they’re breathable and won’t trap the heat as you sleep.
- Price – a standard price range for specific wedge pillows (like these for back pain), is between $50 and $100, from medium to high-quality.
However, high end and luxury wedge pillows, or pillow system can go up to even $200 (with options for upgrades for additional cost). Bear in mind that the price often indicates the quality and the durability of the pillow.
What Should I Consider When Buying A Wedge Pillow?
- Size – you should consider the size of the pillow as well your own size. Depending on your height and weight, you might look for different sizes of pillows, and consider the parts of the back they’ll reach.
- Incline preferences – you should also consider the angle of inclination. Lower inclinations (around 7 degrees) are more suitable for sleeping, while higher inclinations (10 to 12 degrees) are better for sitting, reading, or watching TV.
- The type of sleeper that you are – if you’re a hot sleeper, you should opt for cooling, gel memory foam wedge pillows. They usually also have breathable covers made from cotton or bamboo. Also, if you’re a restless sleeper, you should opt for lower inclines, so that you don’t slide off the pillow during sleep.
- Price – the price of the pillow is something to consider before purchase. Try to stay within your budget, but you shouldn’t compromise the quality because of the price. If you stay in the price range between $50 and $100, you can expect to get a high-quality pillow, without going broke.
- Return policy – sometimes, you buy a product and it’s nothing what you expected it to be. Therefore, a return policy is essential with expensive pillows. The majority of the companies offer 30 to 90 nights free trial, and if you’re not satisfied, you can return the pillow. But, some companies don’t offer such an option, so make sure to check the return policy as well.
How Should You Sleep On A Wedge Pillow?
- Back sleeping position – lower incline wedge pillows are usually designed for the back sleeping position. This sleeping position is one of the best for back pain relief, and the gentle incline from the pillow further relaxes the muscles and removes and pressure or compression.
- Side sleeping position (with a headrest) – wedge pillows can also be used for sleeping on the side. However, they may cause neckache without a suitable headrest. Flat wedge pillows don’t provide support for the neck area (space between the neck and the pillow), which may result in neck strain. So, if you’re a side sleeper, make sure to buy a wedge pillow that comes with a headrest.
- Knee support – if you sleep on the back, but feel like your back needs additional relief, then wedge pillows can serve as a knee support. Feel free to use your wedge pillow under the knees (so the knees are bent), or under the feet for some proper leg elevation. This will promote better blood circulation and additionally relieve the pressure from the lumbar region.