Willing to improve your sleeping habits? Are you on the point of buying a new quality mattress and still wondering if it is necessary to add a box spring to your shopping list?
Before having second thoughts, let me make some recommendations and tell you straight away: the inappropriate box spring can cause you back pains and a sleeping routine that won’t relax or rest you enough.
If you have been using a classic box spring and it didn’t satisfy your needs, I got you. There is no outcome in buying an expensive bed element when you simply cannot rest properly.
Luckily for you, today, I will talk about the best box spring alternatives that are cost-effective, time-saving, and easy to procure.
The Definition Of A Box Spring
In simple terms, the box spring is a wooden frame with a cloth covering. Once you take the covering off, there will be these springs.
The box spring is usually used as a bed base and extends the resistance and lifetime of the mattress.
Are Box Springs Really Necessary?
Before purchasing or considering a box spring alternative, it is essential to know if this step is mandatory or if it makes any difference for your sleeping hours.
There is no way we can even overestimate the power of a relaxing and good night’s sleep. Good sleep is the secret to a healthy, happy, and balanced life.
Furthermore, once you are fully rested, you are more productive. As such, it is essential to wake up well-rested to accomplish all the plans you had for that day. And the trick for obtaining this type of relaxation is the mattress.
So, the spring box is mainly placed between the bedroom floor and the mattress to get that critical space that keeps that dirt away from the bed. It is no wonder why box springs have become so popular and essential, considering their efficiency as a foundation for mattresses.
Thanks to box springs, the mattress has protection against human hair, pet hair, food crumbs, dust, and other mess. Besides, box springs can keep the bed from sagging, as it has the power to absorb and distribute the weight uniformly all across the mattress.
Furthermore, box springs can also absorb the shocks for the mattress, so they are ideal for those high beds. The result will be a comfortable bed you can always lie down in and provide flexibility and airflow.
However, there have been lots of disappointments regarding the effectiveness of box springs.
The world is slowly looking for reasons to use alternative box springs, and we couldn’t agree more. So if box springs are not the ideal solution for you, don’t worry, as the list below will offer a great variety of choices.
Best Alternatives To Box Springs. Choose Your Ideal Option
It might surprise you but box spring alternatives are right at your fingertips. You just have to know where to find them.
If you just moved out of your new home and cannot have the furniture of your dreams, start by purchasing a mattress and the alternative for a box spring. There are easy options to choose from, so here are the most popular and easy to procure.
Are there any alternatives to the classic box springs? Down below, you will find some excellent box spring alternatives, with pros and downsides. So here we go now:
The under-mattress slats come with horizontal wooden strips meant to offer support for the mattress. Once choosing the under-mattress slats, you will keep the bed at the ideal height of your preference, without even compromising the final look of your sleeping place.
Once the wooden slats are tied together with a piece of fabric, you will be able to keep the slats in one place because the last thing you want is a mattress that is sagging under the weight of your body.
The Pros Of Under-Mattress Slats
- Platforms are made of wood
- Under-Mattress Slats are eco-friendly
- This solution is inexpensive
- You can use reclaimed wood
- Wooden platforms allow you to use the storage space underneath
The Cons Of Under-Mattress Slats
- If you store too many items underneath, there will be no good ventilation
- Under-Mattress slats cannot handle heavyweights
DIY Box Spring Alternative Solution
If none of the options above satisfy your needs, you can consider making your box spring and starting a creative DIY project.
However, you should be a handy person and keep in mind some necessary tools: an electric drill, wooden blocks, a staple gun, a counter stick, and other mandatory materials for building a wooden box.
A DIY box spring is relatively easy to obtain, but you need to make sure you have access to all the materials you need. The quality of your project should be high enough to support the weight while you are sleeping.
- Start your project by cutting the wooden pieces, so they match the measurements of your bed.
- Start attaching the wooden pieces to the slats using some screws.
- Leave enough space on the ends of your box spring.
- Step by step, build the outer box, then add upholstery to it and put the mattress on top.
Pros of DIY Box Spring Alternative
- You will save lots of money as soon as you use reclaimed wood
- You have total control over the design and the look of your DIY project
- Make the box spring fit your bed
- You have the satisfaction of making your box spring
- There are lots of online tutorials to have the know-how
- If you are not a handy person and not into DIYs, then this project might not be for you
- It requires some time to finish the project, instead of buying a box spring immediately
Milk Crate Bed Base Project
Do you want your bedroom furniture to be original and creative? Then you should consider a box spring that looks funky and is also versatile.
Why not look for these 16-quart milk crates to create a strong base for your bed? So if you are looking for a sturdy alternative, you should know that each compartment can hold 35 pounds of weight while letting the air flow.
- First of all, place the milk crate upside down or sideways
- Put the crate with the open side facing outwards (if you want to create some more storage space)
- Connect the boxes with some zip ties, so the structure will be solid enough until they take the size of the mattress
- This is a cheap box spring alternative
- You can transform it into a fast DIY project
- It takes few tools
- You will get much more storage area once placing the crate sideways.
- You might need more crates until covering the whole mattress
- Use safety equipment, such as safety goggles when making the final cuts
Milk crates box spring alternatives are great as long as you want a cheap, easy-to-make box spring option. Make sure you are using bolts and large washers, so you are good to go then.
Platform Bed Box Spring Alternative
Are you looking for an amazingly-looking bed option? Platform beds are excellent. If you are not afraid of some extra expenses and bulk, consider these alternatives, which look much better than ordinary box springs.
Suppose you are looking for a tall bed, but the platform beds are ideal without investing in a box spring. The elevated bed platform comprises a costly wood-made frame or metal frame so that the sleeping area can sit high.
Many of the platform beds have headboards and footboards as well, that are also attached to the edge.
- The platform beds offer high support to any mattress
- The platform beds will suit the contemporary looks of your bedrooms, so the sleeping area will seem like floating above the floor
- Lots of the platform frames come with additional storage places, like drawers on the sides
- The design offers excellent airflow all around the mattress
- Steel platform bed frames offer durability in time
Cons of Platform Beds:
- These sleeping areas are usually quite expensive, mainly if you want to add extra storage, a footboard, and a headboard.
- Platform beds can be a bit heavy and bulky, so you need ample space to put all the pieces together.
- Although the platform bed is not too tall, it might be hard to get into the bed for older adults.
- If you go for a platform bed made of wood, it might not resist too much weight.
However, making an abstraction of the downsides, you can have some platform beds in lots of variations, like modern floating beds, classic platform sleeping areas, or some with drapes.
Personal opinion: Here is a nice platform bed you should give a look.
Adjustable Bed as Box Spring Alternative
If you are looking for maximum comfort for your sleeping area, you should first consider the adjustable beds. Whether you want to read, watch the TV, maybe to keep your feet up, then the adjustable beds are the ones for you.
They will help you have the perfect posture while still doing your favorite activities.
Furthermore, these mattresses are keeping your body in a healthy posture, meaning the back and neck.
Some of the common stances where you can see some adjustable beds are in hospitals, most of the time used by people going through pain. However, let’s not think about the grim pictures.
If you are dealing with back pains, the adjustable beds are great for your health, as they have lots of options to elevate the head and legs.
Moreover, they are the ideal sleeping solution for bad blood circulation. Furthermore, these beds are great to have if you enjoy standing in bed for extended periods.
- Adjustable beds are perfect for seniors who need help in getting in and out of bed.
- If you love standing in bed and reading, this bed will help adjust the mattress in the correct position.
- If you enjoy keeping your feet up or elevate your head due to back pains, consider purchasing an adjustable bed.
- As you can expect, the adjustable beds are much more expensive than the common types of mattresses you find on the market.
- Considering the adjustable bed comes with a motor, things can go wrong immediately, and some components might brake
Personal opinion: Don’t know where to start? Here is my favorite model when it comes to adjustable beds.
Memory Foam Mattresses
As the name of these mattresses suggests, they are made of good-quality foam that takes the body’s shape. The best part? You can choose the level of firmness you want. The whole idea of these box spring alternatives is to give excellent support to all aspects of the body.
Once you choose this type of mattress, you can forget about the box springs. Primarily, memory foam mattresses are a bonus if you deal with back, shoulder, neck, or chronic pain.
Manufacturers even discourage using a box spring with foam mattresses, as these cushions can absorb the shock without additional elements.
Keep in mind to place the mattress on a firm surface.
- Foam mattresses are comfortable and offer fantastic support, especially if you have chronic pain.
- You don’t need an additional box spring
- The floor itself can be a great support
- Choose wooden slats for a better base and airflow
- Memory foam mattresses are ideal for people with allergies, as they do not develop allergens
- These mattresses are a bit costly
- Sometimes, people complain they get hot while sleeping on this type of mattress because it molds close to the body shape
Also popular as coil spring mattresses, these types have springs inside, making them independent of box springs. They come with different types of coils, so they distribute the weight evenly.
- Firm and durable
- Best possible support
- You will not feel the coils and the springs poke in the back
- Rest evenly
- Box springs are not necessary
- These are not recommended to children, even they seem like the ideal bouncing surface
Foldable Metal Platform Bed Frame
One of the convenient box spring alternatives that do not require too much money is the foldable metal bed frame. This support for your bed is lightweight and easy to store. Moreover, lots of people use these metal frames for their spare bedrooms.
One of the top advantages of foldable metal platforms is their solid body and sturdy wire supports. The best part? If space is an issue, this bed frame has the extra space to store different items.
Advantages Of Foldable Metal Bed Frames:
- They are pretty cheap, compared to the wood box spring alternatives
- These frames are lightweight and foldable, which makes them ideal for spare beds
- Easy to store and to fold up
- An excellent option for kids’ sleeping spaces
- These metal bed frames are not as resistant as other options
- Inexpensive metal frames are very noisy once you turn in bed
- Metal frames do not offer the same level of comfort and support as other alternative ideas
Bunkie Board Box Spring Alternative
This is a great solution for people who are looking for a lightweight alternative for the box spring that you can manipulate easily. The bunkie board is made of wood, and it is a platform that will come with a thin layer of textile most of the time.
Moreover, this light foundation is ideal for mattresses you want to place right on the floor, as long as you want to get rid of classic box springs.
- Genuinely lightweight, no more bulky box springs
- Easy to move around the house rooms
- Sturdy enough to provide outstanding support when you need it
- It can help to make other bed foundations more resistant and effective
- Durable and strong
- You can save a lot of space in the sleeping area
- Get a modern look for your bed
- Can make your own DIY Bunkie board as soon as you follow the proper instructions
- Some people complained they had to adjust the Bunkie Board daily
- These do not provide that pleasant cushioning as a classic box spring, so you need a good-quality mattress
A Mattress On The Floor
Sometimes, people do not like to complicate their lives, so they prefer to go all minimal and straightforward.
As such, the lack of a box spring can be an alternative. A flat floor can easily be a fantastic foundation for your mattresses.
Considering this, you don’t need to do too much or stress yourself with finding a box spring when you can look for this alternative. The floor’s flatness will be the ideal support, a very firm one.
Pros Of Mattress On The Floor:
- If you have children, they won’t fall off the bed
- Comfy and cozy looking
- Excellent health benefits
- Simple DIY box spring alternative
- Wave goodbye to the backache issues
- Very cost-effective method
- Works excellent against hot sleeping due to the natural coldness of the floor
- Despite the many advantages, once you put a mattress on the floor, it will be kind of risky for your health, as you expose yourself to microorganisms and dirt.
- The mattress might be prone to dust.
- If you have pets, we do not recommend exposing yourself to lots of hair
- You don’t get the option of storing different items under your bed
- The whole room might look a bit lazy
- If your room’s decor is modern or contemporary, the mattress on the floor will not fit.
However, if you still want to consider this option, use a thick mattress; otherwise, you might encounter back pains. This solution is not a permanent one, or you should not think of it as a long-term alternative idea for a box spring.
In A Nutshell
Though people use classic box springs as the usual bed foundation, they can easily replace their use with some alternatives. One choosing some of the options above, you won’t have to worry anymore. Following the excellent advantages, select your favorite box spring alternative.