Buying a new mattress can be rather costly. With mattresses costing from one to several thousands of dollars, we can say that such a purchase is an expensive investment. And, just like with anything costly and fancy in our home, we should feel the need to protect our premium mattresses as well. How can we do it? Well, that is where a supportive, sturdy, and high-quality bed base enters the game.
Therefore, in the following paragraphs, we’ll take a look at the three types of bed bases and how they perform with mattresses. We’ll also see which one fits your needs and requirements the best, so make sure to stick around! So, without further ado, let’s get started!
Types Of Bed Bases
Platform Bed Base
Best for – memory foam mattresses, innerspring and natural latex mattresses
The platform bed base is designed to keep your mattress right on the top of the platform. It is generally made from wood, which makes it rather sturdy and durable; not to mention aesthetically pleasing and fitting of seemingly any interior style. However, there can be platform bed bases made from metal and upholstery as well. This bed base is designed to provide support to any type of mattress but is generally best paired with memory foam units. It is also designed to have either rectangular, raised, level, or horizontal frame.
Platform bed bases are preferable for several reasons;
- Platform bed bases can support any type of mattress
- The bed base features slats to prevent mildew and mold
- The bad base promotes airflow and keeps the mattress breathable
- The platform base looks sleek, stylish and suits any interior design
- You can choose from an array of different platform bases
Types Of Platform Bed Bases
- Foot And Headboard – some platform bed bases feature a combination of a footboard and a headboard. This combination gives this type both a traditional and modern appeal. However, foot and headboard bed bases are not intended for smaller bedrooms.
- Floating – instead of having visible legs, floating platform beds create a ‘floating’ illusion. These platform bases do not provide any storage space, but they do feature a modern aesthetic.
- Storage – storage platform beds, just like their name suggests, have inconspicuously designed drawers for additional storage, that hide under the bed. You should consider this type of platform bed base to maximize your space.
- Solid – solid platform beds lack any space or room beneath. Their aesthetic appeal and sturdiness is their main selling point.
Platform Beds Materials
- Wood – the majority of platform bed bases are made from wood. These bases can feel and look at both industrial and modern, as well as rustic and vintage. On top of being long-lasting, they give you a timeless look that remains trendy for years. Their only downside is the fact that they are very heavy. Additionally, lighter wood shades tend to be prone to stains.
- Metal – some platform bed bases are made from metal Because of this, their appearance and style are industrial and modern. Unlike some shades of wood or upholstery, you are guaranteed the metal style will never fade or stain with time. So, you’re looking at a long-term investment.
- Upholstered – upholstered platform beds are in demand because of their deluxe and cliquey feel for the bedroom appearance. The upholstered platform bed is among the most striking and assorted when it comes to style and design. However, it is susceptible to fading and staining, which can be a major drawback.
Platform Bed Advantages
- Made to last for generations
- Sturdy, supportive and durable
- Suitable for a variety of different mattress types
- Promotes air circulation and mattress breathability
- Excellent body weight distribution
Platform Bed Drawbacks
- Can be made from cheap wood (usually light)
- Slats can break or crack if the wood is low-quality
- Usually don’t feature storage space under the bed
We recommend you check out: Meryl Platform Solid Wood Bed Foundation
This rustic, wooden, platform bed foundation will make any bedroom perfect. It has a traditional, yet sleek and modern design, that can match any interior style. The foundation is made from solid wood, so you’ll know it will last you for a long time. It is super easy to assemble; it might take you up to 30 minutes to put all the pieces together. The base will look great and keep your mattress not only in place but also safe and protected. So, not only will the base last you long, it will make your mattress more durable as well.
Best for – innerspring mattresses, mattresses that require additional support, heavier sleepers who require more comfort
Box spring bed bases are designed to keep the mattress off the ground and lift it. However, box spring bed bases are not what they used to be. See, in the past, these bed bases were made with actual springs, which became a questionable design in modern times. Nowadays, box spring bed bases have wooden or metal springs, which are a more durable and sturdier solution.
Box spring bed bases are preferable for several reasons;
- Box spring bases provide exceptional mattress support
- The bed base can absorb weight and make the mattress more comfortable
- Box spring bases are aesthetically pleasing and will make any bedroom a sophisticated haven for sleep
- Box spring bases can also feature other, different styles, so you can find traditional looking ones, as well as bases with modern features
Box Spring Advantages
- Classy, sophisticated and versatile design
- Flat surface to prevent sagging and promote durability
- Exceptional weight distribution
- Excellent bounce to the base (perfect for playful toddlers)
- Probably the most affordable bed base option
Box Spring Drawbacks
- Typically heavy
- Can cause back problems if not paired with a proper mattress
- Doesn’t work with mattresses that are extra firm
- Generally loses support over time
We recommend you check out: Zinus Armita Smart Box Spring Mattress Foundation (7 inches)
Now, if you’re looking for a sturdy and durable box spring bed base, you should check out the Zinus Armita Smart Box Spring. It features a steel interior frame that is constructed to support the weight capacity up to 500lbs. The base also has a practical design and is easy to assemble. It is built to last, and you will surely like it if you’re a fan of box spring bed foundations.
Best for – mattresses made from dense materials; like firm foam or latex mattresses, but can be used for innerspring mattresses as well
It is fair to say it right away; foundation bed bases look awfully a lot like box spring bed bases. Nevertheless, there is a big difference between these two. Foundation beds don’t have springs; they have wooden slats that are evenly distributed for the best mattress support. Mostly, foundation beds are made from wood and are very sturdy. However, despite the sturdiness, these are rather flexible bed bases. So, support and flexibility are the top features of foundation beds, so you’ll know your mattress will stay on top of the foundation, instead of crashing through the base.
Foundation bed bases are preferable for several reasons;
- The foundation bed base is exceptionally sturdy and durable
- The bed base gives the mattress more height
- The added height makes it easier for you to get out of the bed
- The foundation bed base has a uniform appearance and evenly distributed slats
- The bed base can support any type of mattress, but best for dense mattresses
- It promotes proper airflow for dense mattresses; they are breathable and prevent hot sleeping
Types Of Foundation Bed Bases
- Adjustable foundations – these foundation beds can be adjusted to lift your head and torso while you sleep. This makes them perfect for people who experience neck and back pain, as well as for those who suffer from GERD, heartburn, or acid reflux. Adjustable foundation beds can also promote healthy circulation and pressure joint and back relief.
- Bunky board foundations – these foundations beds are most affordable, but also the thinnest. They don’t add much height to the mattress, and generally do little for your mattress and sleep quality. Bunky board foundations are usually used for kid’s beds, and generally work best with memory foam mattresses.
- Metal platform foundation beds – these are the best for people who want to lift their mattresses higher than usual, to create some storage space. Metal platform foundations require assembly, and buying extra connector pieces is advisable. These foundation beds work perfectly with memory foam mattresses or units that require sturdier support and platform.
- Solid platform foundation beds – these bed bases will provide the highest durability and most support to your mattress and you. These are are the best looking, but also the priciest. You can find budget solid platform foundations, but the lower the price, the lower the material quality. We must say that out of all bed bases, this one might trap the heat the most since it doesn’t promote airflow and breathability. Other than that, it is a great option for hybrid, latex, or memory foam mattresses (for people who don’t live in a warm climate).
- Metal wire grid foundation beds – for those owning a latex mattress, metal wire grid foundations are the best. They offer exceptional support for latex units. Opt for metal wire grid foundations that have a rigid base with small gaps. This will promote airflow and breathability, making it perfect for hot sleepers.
Foundation Bed Advantages
- Sturdy and supportive
- Adds height to the mattress
- Aesthetically pleasing
- Provide minimal indentation
- No sagging, even over time
- More affordable than some other bed base options
Foundation Bed Drawbacks
- Can be too hard
- Not made for a softer sleep solution
- Not for people who have back problems
- Most of them lack storage space
We recommend you check out: Amerisleep Mattress Foundation
The Amerisleep mattress foundation is one of the best on the market. It is designed to completely replace the box spring bed base. The foundation is assembled within minutes and doesn’t require any tools or additional parts. This particular mattress foundation is perfect for hybrid and memory foam mattresses. It will make your mattress more durable and more comfortable.
Box Spring Vs Platform Vs Foundation: How To Choose The Best Bed Base?
Here are some things you should take into consideration when buying a bed base;
We hope that our bed foundations basics were helpful to you. Now, with all this information you should be able to easily choose the bed base that is in line with your needs and taste.
For more information, always consult the sellers and ask them to explain the bed base in detail. Also, if they’re too expensive, consult on different payment options, warranty, and return policy. This should help you get the best bed base for your money.