Sleep deprivation and insomnia are the leading sleep disturbances in America. Approximately 10% of adults in the US experience insomnia at least three times per week, and less than 50% of people who identified as having sleep disorders said their poor sleep didn’t affect their day-to-day life. This means that the other 50% of sleep-deprived people can’t get things done effectively during the day.
When we see these numbers, the situation doesn’t seem promising. That is why the majority of people opt for sleeping aid, in form of sleeping pills or supplements like melatonin. But, sometimes getting restful sleep isn’t possible even with such help. So what do you do when nothing helps? You turn to CBD oil. In the following paragraphs, we’ll take a look at CBD oil and how it can affect and improve your sleep and insomnia. So, let’s get started!
CBD Oil Explained
What Is CBD Oil?
Cannabis oil, also known as CBD oil is a substance extracted from Cannabis sativa or Cannabis indica. The oil is extracted from the leaves, stems, and seeds of a cannabis plant. CBD oil is also known as marijuana oil, hash oil, pot oil, etc. However, regardless of how you call it, the oil does come from the marijuana plant, and to this day, it is perceived negatively by many. But, one cannot ignore the fact that CBD oil has come under the spotlight for its numerous health benefits, especially when it comes to sleep and mood disorders.
But, what makes CBD oil so sought after? Well, the cannabis plant contains over 500 compounds including flavonoids and cannabinoids. These are active compounds, where THC (delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol) and CBD (cannabidiol) are produced in the highest concentrations.
These compounds are responsible for an array of health benefits, from the claims that they can help kill cancer, to the inhibition of tumor growth. However, because cannabis is becoming increasingly legalized all around the world, people have discovered its usefulness in cases of sleep deprivation and insomnia as well.
Note: CBD oil doesn’t usually contain THC (up to 0.3%), meaning it won’t get you ‘high’ or have psychoactive effects. Instead, it will just promote its applications when it comes to your mental and physical health.
CBD Oil Health Benefits And Adverse Effects
So far, CBD oil has been studied in terms of regulating mood changes and disorders, sleep disorders, and biological function of the body. Here’s what’s been found out in terms of health benefits;
- CBD oil can be effective in chronic pain management
- The oil can be used for the treatment of anxiety and depression
- It is also very effective in cases of PTSD and stress management
- CBD oil is proven to prevent the growth of cancerous cells
- The oil can strengthen your heart and relieve cardiovascular issues
- It also treats Irritable Bowel Syndrome
- CBD oil has anti-inflammatory properties
- And, it can be used for epilepsy and seizure treatment
However, just like anything in this world, CBD oil does have some adverse effects as well. So, to be fair and square, we have to take a look at those too. Here are some of the most prominent adverse effects of CBD oil use;
- CBD oil can cause fatigue and even daytime sleepiness in some users
- The oil has been reported to cause diarrhea and stomach issues in some cases
- There can be changes in appetite and weight; some users experience weight gain and increased appetite
- Animal studies showed that there can be a potential for liver damage in case of long-term use, but that hasn’t been proven in human studies
- Some users may experience excessive thirst and dry mouth
CBD Oil Application
There seem to be numerous ways one can consume CBD oil. Here are some of the most common ways;
- Topical application – you can buy lotions, patches, ointments, and body care products containing CBD oil.
- Oral ingestion – there are CBD oil-infused edibles like drinks, candies, and other food products people take to experience CBD oil effects. There are capsules with CBD oil as well.
- Sublingual application – there are types of CBD oil tinctures that one can place directly beneath the tongue to experience the effects.
- Vaping – this is the most common way of CBD oil use among the younger generations. Vaping is done using vape pens which one can fill with CBD oil and simply inhale it. This type of use shows the fastest results.
CBD Oil For Sleep And Insomnia
To understand how CBD oil works and what its effects are, it is essential to also take a closer look at the studies and research, especially when it comes to its application in cases of sleep disorders;
- Study no1 – this study from 2019 shows that CBD oil can be very effective in cases of anxiety and poor sleep. The study included 72 participants, where anxiety scores reduced in 57 participants (79.2%), and sleep scores improved in 48 participants (66.7%). Both anxiety and sleep scores improved during the 3-month study, and the doses used in this study were 25mg/d to 175mg/d, which implies they were much lower than reported in some previous clinical literature. The reason for that is that higher doses, between 300mg/d and 600 mg/d were cost-prohibitive.
- Study no2 – this particular study only observed Parkinson’s disease patients and the effects of CBD oil when it comes to the patients’ sleep-related behavior. The results of the study showed the following; CBD oil can improve symptoms of REM (rapid eye movement) sleep behavior disorder (RBD). This disorder causes Parkinson’s disease patients to act out their dreams, which is directly associated with sleep deprivation, overall poor sleep, and nightmares. A further review, a few years later, showed that CBD oil can help treat RBD, as well as the excessive daytime sleepiness that comes with it.
- Study no3 – this study observed PTSD patients who experience sleep deprivation and nightmares. The study showed that CBD oil intake can improve sleep quality in 38% of studied PTSD patients, as well as reduce nightmares. Patients were taking CBD oil for an 8-week period, and the doses are also lower than in the previous clinical literature. It is essential to mention that some of the patients did experience fatigue and gastrointestinal discomfort, but the side effects were well tolerated by all patients.
- Study no4 – this is one of the largest retrospective studies observing insomnia suffering patients and the effects of cannabis and CBD oil. The study showed that there is a significant decrease in reported time to sleep after the use of cannabis (as well as cannabis oil and cannabis-based medicine) in both sleep-deprived patients and patients with the normal sleep-wake cycle. However, the majority of patients did experience chronic pain, anxiety, sleeping problems, and were unemployed, prior to the study.
CBD Oil Benefits For Sleep Deprivation And Insomnia
So, how does CBD oil exactly combat sleeplessness? Here are some of the benefits when it comes to CBD oil health effects directly related to sleep deprivation and insomnia;
- Anxiety and depression reduction and management – because anxiety and depression can be directly responsible for sleeplessness and insomnia, we have to mention how CBD oil helps with that. The oil helps regulate cortisol or the stress hormone that can be directly responsible for the non-REM sleep cycles. In turn, thanks to the regulated cortisol, one experiences a significant improvement in anxiety- and depression-related sleep disorders.
- Elimination of nightmares – nightmares can be a cause of frequent awakenings and poor sleep quality, especially in people who suffer from REM sleep behavior disorder or RBD. CBD oil intake can manage the RBD symptoms, like nightmares and restlessness, and contribute to improved sleep quality over a long-term intake period.
- Relaxation and calmness – sleep deprivation and insomnia can be a result of restlessness, inability to relax, and excess stress. CBD oil, luckily, can have an incredibly relaxing and calming effect, which makes it an antidote to anxiety, stress, poor sleep, and insomnia. CBD oil intake can make people more relaxed and less likely to stress out in general.
How To Dose CBD Oil For Sleep
It is essential to point out that the dose of CBD oil you take depends largely on you as a consumer. What we mean is that your weight, overall health status, personal body chemistry, and the nature of your sleep disorder all affect the amount of CBD oil you’ll have to take. This also means that not everybody experiences the same effects, and what works for you, might not work for someone else.
Now, when it comes to particular doses, we have to refer to clinical trials. In those trials, participants are usually given doses between 25mg up to 1,500mg of CBD oil daily. In some studies, the doses varied between 25mg and 175mg. This indicates that lower doses are preferable, especially at the very beginning of CBD oil intake. From there, one can increase the dose if the effects are not noticeable.
However, it is also essential to mention that CBD oil can take weeks to show the first effects and results. So, what we recommend is for you to be patient and not increase the dose right away. Wait for some time, preferably between 2 weeks and a month. If the oil doesn’t take effect, feel free to gradually increase the dose. However, prior to starting CBD oil intake, make sure to consult with your doctor who will inform you about the effects and suitable dose for your specific case.
Note: If you decide to take CBD oil that comes in a dropper bottle, you can easily calculate the dose. One single drop of CBD oil is about 0.05 milliliters (mL). This indicates that a 10mL bottle contains 200 drops, and if the bottle shows that it has 1,000mg of CBD, then each drop has 5mg of CBD. So, if you want to take a low dose of 20mg of CBD oil, you’ll need 4 drops. And, if you want to increase your dose, you can easily calculate how many drops you’ll need.
Which CBD Oil Is The Best For Sleep?
The best CBD oil is the oil that is made with US-grown hemp and contains no more than 0.3 percent of THC (which is the legalized amount of THC for oils). CBD oil can be pure, meaning it has no cannabinoids, or it can have some cannabinoids, flavonoids, and terpenes. Here are some of our recommendations for the best CBD oils you can currently find on the market;
- Populum CBD Oil– Populum is full-spectrum CBD hemp oil, that is ethically grown on Colorado farms. It is the oil of the highest-quality, and the orange-flavor Populum oil is award-winning. The oil is third-party tested, and it comes with a 30-day risk-free trial. You can buy bottles of 250mg, 500mg, 1000mg, and 2000mg.
- CornBread Hemp CBD Oil – this is CO2 extracted, organic hemp CBD oil from Kentucky hemp farms. It is highest in quality and distilled to 75% purity. The oil is natural in flavor and is famous for its quick absorption. CornBread CBD oil also comes with a 30-day satisfaction guarantee. You can buy it in bottles of 375mg, 750mg, and 1,500mg.
- FAB CBD Oil Drops – with a selection of flavors, the FAB CBD oil is one of the best on the market. It is made from premium sources (Colorado-grown hemp) and comes in a variety of strengths. You can buy FAB CBD oil in strengths of 300mg, 600mg, 1,200mg, and 2,400mg. FAB CBD oil is THC-free and third-party tested.
- SPRUCE CBD Oil – SPRUCE CBD oil is lab grade and is made in the USA (Kentucky and North Carolina). It is 100% natural, has no pesticides, and of course, it is third-party tested. The oil has less than 0.3% THC, which makes it legal and it will not cause a psychoactive high. You can buy bottles from 750mg to 2,400mg.
Even though many frowns upon CBD oil, one cannot simply neglect all of its health benefits and successful use in sleep disorder and insomnia cases. The oil has a variety of applications in daily life, and it can help people feel less stressed out and anxious about life’s challenges.
We hope that our overview of the CBD oil and its use for sleep was helpful. But, before you decide to try CBD oil, make sure to consult with your doctor and see whether it is suitable for your circumstances.