Mattresses and bedding in particular used to be extremely expensive assets to your bedroom. Still, as the sleep industry progressed, introducing new manufacturers and more affordable, yet comfy materials, the prices dropped and now, everyone can afford to sleep comfortably. Now, a new problem arises and that is finding the right option in the sea of mattress companies that sell the same story.
We found that Costco offers a lot of great options that are worth investing in. The quality of the vast majority of mattresses can match with the luxurious standalone models we often review.
That said, if you’re restricted on money, have a membership card, or anything that makes Costco a more feasible option to entrust it your sleep, continue reading through this article, where we’ll educate you on choosing the right mattress from Costco.
Costco Mattress: 7 Things You Should Know Before Buying
It’s no secret that some mattresses can cost as much as over $2,000. It, however, depends on the type of material used, what manufacturer made it, and the type of mattress in itself. Additionally, pricier options come with more benefits such as free shipping and returns and in addition to that, there are sleep trials of different lengths.
The asleep trial is an ideal way to test the mattress’s quality. It’s usually the occurrence that people don’t realize what’s wrong with the mattress after the company-listed returns have already expired. Luckily, with sleep trial, you can test the mattress for a longer time to see whether it’s too firm or too soft for you, has motion isolation, or some other issues.
With Costco, things work a bit differently. Similarly to Amazon, there are small online shops from different brands, listed in Costco’s large online store. With that in mind, the prices depend on the manufacturer, and in most cases, it decides whether the price is high or low.
The good side is that you can find more affordable and mid-range price options on Costco than you’d find directly at the manufacturers. Also, the prices and more eligibility may be influenced by the membership if you enroll in one.
That said, when it comes to mattress prices, you could find mattresses that cost as little as $300 and go up to $3,000. There are also some known names in the industry such as Casper, TempurPedic, and others, so people with membership can make the best out of their purchase.
Shipping varies from a lot of factors. For example, there are over 700 warehouses from the company all across the United States. Still, the shipping is influenced by the product. If it’s under $75, there’ll be a shipping fee, while orders above $75 will be free. Also, the membership influences the shipping in a great matter.
3. White-Glove Delivery
If you’re shopping for innerspring or latex mattresses, then you must know how painful shipping can get. With that in mind, Costco offers White Glove delivery with some mattresses, that are heavier and bulkier, such as King, California King, or Split King mattresses.
White-Glove delivery functions so that the shipping company will not only bring your mattress to the doorstep, it’ll also take it to the room of choice and unpack it. The White Glove delivery is free of costs where it’s available. That said, you can only watch the delivery people place the mattress at your desired place, without you having to lift a finger.
Members of Costco’s loyalty program can also enjoy the same-day and two-day delivery benefits. However, we’ll have a deeper talk about that in the paragraphs below.
When it comes to the regular shipping, without the eligible membership, the shipping times may vary. For example, some products will be shipped from one week to 10 days, which is ideal shipping time at regular terms. Some products, however, will deliver from two weeks to four weeks, which can be exhausting for customers who are to pick up a product at certain times.
Note: Keep in mind that shipping may not always be available to all states in the USA. Each product has a separate listing, whereas sometimes the company can’t ship to Alaska, Puerto Rico, or Hawaii.
Most of the products from Costco are warranted. That means that if there’s certain damage to an item, they will either repair it or send a new version. For mattresses that means that a popped spring, sagging mattress, or some other damage means that they’ll be warranted.
Note: It’s important to note that most of the warranty at Costco is limited. That means that it can apply only under certain conditions and won’t work otherwise. Costco and the company retailer decide the level of damage where the warranty is applicable.
A good example of such a case is memory foam mattresses, which now and then tend to sink and sag. A little sagging with the memory foam mattress is okay for side sleepers. After all, it’s memory foam and the sole purpose of its conforming technology is sinking into the foamy cloud.
Still, when the bed sags enough to cause discomfort, likely, the warranty won’t be applicable until the mattress sags significantly more. Usually, some mattress manufacturers calculate the sagging based on percentage so that when the mattress sags more than 25%, the warranty is applicable. It’s worth noting that the mattress is already uncomfortable way before that.
Returns are something that often sparks discussion and debate. Not all companies will accept returns and unless you’re part of one of the memberships, likely, you won’t be able to return it. Some companies offer their standalone sleep trial where if you don’t like the product you can return it.
With one of the Costco memberships, you can return the mattress even 6 months after the purchase. The company offers you the opportunity to return the item yourself to one of the warehouses. If you’re a member on the website, you can schedule a pickup time for your mattress at an eligible time for both.
It’s worth noting that some products can’t be returned that way, we pinpointed the list here so you can find if you’re eligible.
In some situations, Costco will expect you to wrap up the mattress in nylon or another sort of bag, if you’re returning it. That’s for health concerns.
Also Read: Mattresses Return Policies: What Are the Best Ones, and What Companies Offer Them?
With memory foam mattresses, especially those that are lower range, sagging is almost inevitable. Mattresses often sag at the middle and in long warranties such as 10+ years, returning a mattress sounds reasonable even after 1 to 3 years. The customer service agent that’s taken your case will ask you to place a flat piece of furniture, or a stick such a broomstick to measure how much the mattress sagged. Send it as a photo via email and they’ll review whether it’s eligible for return.
6. Costco Membership
Costco members and loyalty members can earn some benefits when shopping for products. With membership, they can get up to a 5% discount on mattresses. Additionally, some more premium models, such as the Casper mattress which is a known name can only be bought on Costco thanks to the membership.
There are two types of memberships and they achieve different benefits. The two memberships are Gold Star and Gold Star Executive. They share the vast majority of benefits. Gold Star costs $60 annually, which is a fair price, while the latter renews for $120 every year.
Both come with discounts, exclusive items, two memberships for you and someone else in the house, and a 100% guarantee for money return on both products and membership itself. The Gold Star Executive comes with a few more benefits.
In addition to a free monthly Costco catalog, you’ll receive a larger selection of products, more discounts, and an annual 2% reward of up to $1,000 in value.
Aside from the personal membership options. Costco membership is also available for businesses, with some extra benefits.
7. Mattress Brands at Costco
We reviewed a lot of mattresses from different online stores and mattress makers. That’s why our experience prepared us to recognize the companies that value your sleep health and time. Here are the best companies we found on Costco, that we believe are suitable for your trust.
- Sealy & Cocoon By Sealy
- Brentwood Home
- Sleep Science
Pros & Cons of Shopping for Mattress at Costco
There are a lot of reasons as to why you should shop at Costco. However, what sounds amazing for someone, doesn’t have to be amazing for someone else. We listed the benefits and drawbacks of shopping for a mattress at Costco, you decide if you resonate with our thinking.
Pros of Shopping for Mattress at Costco
- Great shopping selection in terms of all mattresses – innerspring, hybrid, foam, latex, and others.
- A lot of discounts and benefits for purchasing certain products.
- Affordable options and availability for people who can’t afford expensive luxury mattresses.
- White-Glove delivery and free 100%-guaranteed return for annual members.
- There are plenty of customer reviews that will help you with making the right purchase.
- For the members of the loyalty programs, Costco offers excellent return policies and helps you stay guaranteed at all times.
- Great availability. Costco mattresses can be shipped from up to 700 Costco warehouses.
Cons of Shopping for Mattress at Costco
- Free returns and trials aren’t guaranteed unless you’re a special member of the site.
- It’s much better to purchase items from their original manufacturer website if they are a well-known name because that comes with more benefits and more personalized shopping experience as you can personalize how you want your mattress to be.
- There is a very little number of organic mattresses, for people who prefer natural and organic latex.
- The customer service is inconsistent. They can be hard to reach and not so helpful in solving your issues. The opinions are mixed, but it’s best to be cautious with their service if you don’t have a loyalty membership plan.
- Some brands can only be reached if you have a membership plan. One of them is Casper, which is one of the more popular brands.
If you’re seeking more organic options on Costco, we recommend Brentwood Home. Their mattress selection is often conscious and environmentally-friendly.
5 Best Costco Mattress We Recommend (Detailed Reviews)
We reviewed five mattresses that could be greatly useful for your sleep and night rest, they’re of different price range and great for different purposes. Make sure to check them out.
1. Best Overall: Blackstone 12″ Queen Memory Foam Mattress
When it comes to the best pick in a sense of comfort, support, and reliability, we believe that the Blackstone 12-inch memory foam mattress is the best pick that Costco can offer. It’s a midrange mattress, although the King option is slightly pricier. We packed its features in this review and what makes it our best overall mattress at Costco.
- Sufficiently thick for both heavier and lighter sleepers
- Good support and reliability thanks to the high-density base.
- Uses Green Tea and ActivCharcoal which makes the mattress cooler and more breathable
- It’s CertiPUR-US-certified for standard
- Medium level firmness which makes the mattress just right for a comfortable sleep
- Relatively swift shipping
- 10 years warranty
The mattress offers a total of 12-inch thickness, which makes it suitable for both lightweight and heavier sleepers. When it comes to sleep preferences, with medium firmness feel, it has just the right amount of plush and hard material to make it both sinking when sleeping on the side, and bouncy when sleeping on the back. Don’t get us wrong, it’s not bouncy where you’ll feel your partner moving, no, it’s silent and consistent.
It is made out of memory foam as well as comfort foam which contours to your body curves and gives support on the edges. It matches the natural shape of your body and relieves pressure points. It also uses gel memory foam and that Green Tea and ActivCharcoal add up to the better breathability and cooling effect which is rarely found in memory foam. In addition to that, there’s a BioFoam layer made out of partially natural materials so it’s more environmentally-conscious.
Lastly, the mattress is the carrier of the CertiPUR-US certification which rates its durability and performance with the highest grades, free of all fire retardants and other toxic substances. There’s, however, noticeable off-gassing odor upon delivery which will dissipate within 3 days, which is how much this mattress needs to completely expand.
The BioFoam layer is also equipped with natural seed oil which reduces the petrol-based oils and their smell. The mattress is covered in a 1-inch memory foam layer. It uses luxurious quilting fabric with poly-jacquard fabric. Other layers include 3-inch memory foam, 3-inches of comfort foam for pressure relief, 5-inches of airflow high-density support foam that provides the essential support for sleeping.
Drawbacks & Risks:
- The mattress may take up to 72 hours to completely expand. In addition to that, there may be some off-gassing odor that could appear uncomfortable. The expanding process may be longer if you live in a humid environment.
- The product could expose to Styrene, a material that could potentially cause cancer as per the State of California.
2. Runner Up: TempurPedic TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Queen Mattress
When it comes to the runner up option, we couldn’t find better model than TempurPedic’s TEMPUR-Cloud Supreme Queen Set.
- Two-layer construction makes the mattress more lightweight and adaptable.
- 5-inch thickness which is more than enough for the proper amount of support
- Plush level of firmness for those who like sleeping softly.
- Made out of hypoallergenic materials
- Minimal off-gassing
- 10-year warranty
- Pressure relieving foam-like design that allows you to sleep comfortably
- Cool sleeping
The mattress measures 11.5-inches in height and comes with special high-loft stretchable cover that looks luxurious and premium and has upholstered sides. Instead of the original option, this model comes with a two-layer construction and doesn’t consist of five layers of different foams. Instead, there is just a two-layer TEMPUR material that the company is proud of.
The Tempur material is made out of some sort of viscoelastic foam which is resemblant of the memory foam but doesn’t heat up too much, and thanks to its construction, it easily molds into your body’s shape and hugs you to sleep. It has great edge support and plush feeling combination that will help you feel comfortable and sleep soundly.
Similarly to the memory foam, the Tempur material responds to your body’s temperature and pressure. That said, as soon as you lay down a little, you will be relieved with pressure and weight-relieving comfort and support throughout the night.
- Tempur-Pedic vs Sleep Number: Side by Side Comparison
- Tempur-Pedic Mattress Topper Review: Budget-Friendly Upgrade
- Tempur-Pedic Breeze Mattress Review: Ultimate Luxury Sleeping Solution?
Drawbacks & Risks:
- The mattress is more expensive than the competition
- The shipping can take anywhere from 2 to 4 weeks, whereas shipping of our best option takes 10 days at most.
- Some heavier sleepers could find it difficult to sleep on this mattress.
3. Best Budget: Comfort Tech 10″ Serene Firm Queen Mattress
Finding a good mattress at an affordable price can be extremely difficult. However, we found a great mattress that can fit the needs of your budget, while providing unprecedented night rest performance. Let’s take a look at some features that helped us see that it stands out compared to the competition.
- Affordable and great value for the price.
- Beautiful quilted design
- Two layers of high-density memory and comfort foam that give support and rest
- Reduced motion transfer
- No toxic components
- The breathable and cool memory foam design
- Quick delivery
This mattress consists of an 8-inch high-density foam base which blends into the unique Serene Firm Foam which provides firm comfort every night, especially for back and stomach sleepers. Aside from that, there’s 2-inch Serene firm foam that conforms to your skin but balances your spine and provides alignment.
Its construction is made so that the motion transfer is reduced and comfort maximized. There is also special Supportive Air Technology which reduces the pressure applied to the bed while supporting you and making the mattress more breathable.
Also Read: 10 Best Budget Mattress 2021
- Unclear warranty information, it’s necessary to contact customer service
- Not too strong edge support
- Some people may find the mattress to be too firm
4. Best for Back Pain: Sealy Posturepedic Response Premium West Salem Cushion Firm Queen Mattress
Sealy Posturepedic queen mattress is an innerspring mattress that provides comfort, balance, and support necessary to establish great night rest.
- Strong support for back and stomach sleepers.
- Beautiful knit cover with hypoallergenic properties
- Relatively breathable design.
- Offers pain relief for back, lumbar region, hips and knees
- 10 years warranty
- Conforming support with the foam layer
This mattress is designed so that each part of the mattress has a zone to relieve the pressure and pain of your body. It has enough firmness to provide spinal alignment, soothing the pain in the lumbar area, hips, knees, and other parts.
It has good motion transfer control, the distance between the springs and support foam, and excellent edge support. Its beautiful quilt adds a level to your comfort thanks to the FlameGuard Fiber, SealySupport Foam, and more. Additionally, the Knit Cover boasts material that is hypoallergenic and spill-proof.Also Read:
Sealy vs Serta vs Beautyrest – Which Should You Choose?
8 Best Mattress for Back Pain in 2021 (And Why)
Drawbacks & Risks:
- The mattress has less of cooling effects compared to other mattresses we listed
- Unclear how long the shipping will take
- A firm mattress may feel uncomfortable for those who like to sink in. Not good for side sleepers
5. Best for Side Sleepers: GhostBed Memory Foam Mattress
GhostBed memory foam mattress is one of the most popular mattresses on the market. Because of its medium construction, it’s ideal for both thinner and heavier sleepers.
- Midrange mattress with a great variety of features and a good review score.
- Medium-level firmness makes it great for both lighter and heavier sleepers.
- Multiple comfort levels add great balance and support to your night rest
- Relatively quick shipping times up to 10 days.
- Gel memory foam that makes you sleep cooler
Additionally, it works great for side sleepers and those who need extra support. It’s made out of many durable materials, fits into an 11-inch mattress.
The mattress consists of a 7.5-inch density base that supports the upper layer and adds firmness to your night rest. It also provides a good base for back and stomach sleepers, but won’t make your hips feel uncomfortable if you sleep on the side. Above, there are 2-inch gel memory foam and 1.5-inch latex foam.
Also Read: Best Mattress for Side Sleepers in 2021: 5 out of 10
- You need to contact the manufacturer to get informed about the mattress warranty
- Occasionally, this mattress may sink a little.