Mattress toppers are an excellent addition to your bed. They are designed to improve the performance of the mattress and provide extra cushioning and a better sleeping surface, depending on one’s needs and sleep requirements.
However, many people tend to misjudge mattress toppers when buying them and end up with a topper that is far from what they’ve expected it to be. Sleeping on an inadequate topper can be counterproductive, cause back problems, and sleep disturbances.
But, this can be easily avoided; the only thing you have to know is how thick of a mattress you require and how thick it needs to be to fit your sleeping needs. And that is what we’ll discuss in the following paragraphs.
We’ll take a look at mattress topper thickness, how thick should a topper be, and how different thickness varieties affect sleep differently. So, let’s get started!
Mattress Topper Thickness – Explained
Mattress toppers thickness usually varies between 2 and 4 inches. The thickness of the mattress usually depends on the material, the density of the filling, as well as size. That is why there are even toppers exceeding the 4-inch thickness.
Note: Some toppers are 5 or 6-inch thick and can be more suitable for people with older mattresses, or back pain issues. Either way, let’s take a look at each level of an inch thickness and see how it improves sleep and which requirements it meets.
Mattress Toppers Of 2 Inch Thickness
These toppers are the thinnest available. They are mostly used to add some cushion and plushness to an otherwise hard mattress. The 2-inch thick toppers are mostly used on new mattresses, or for harder mattresses where one wants to improve the softness and comfort of the sleeping surface.
It is important to mention that 2-inch mattress toppers do not provide pressure point support and are not suitable for people with significant back pain issues. Moreover, they are not suitable for older mattresses, because they do not provide a proper layer of thickness to improve the otherwise sagging mattress performance.
Best for: improving comfort and plushness of harder or firmer mattresses, lighter individuals
Mattress Toppers Of 3 Inch Thickness
Now, 3-inch thick mattress toppers provide a visible improvement in thickness with only 1 extra inch. However, this 1 inch makes all the difference. That is why 3-inch mattress toppers are firmer and thicker, and have more reliable support to them, alongside plushness and comfort.
The 3-inch mattress toppers are great if you want to make your mattress more comfortable or you want to improve its performance and pressure point support.
Such mattress toppers a great for harder mattresses, hybrid or latex units as well as older mattresses that have started to sag and lose comfort. These toppers are also excellent if you want to introduce some cushion or plushness to an otherwise hard and uncomfortable mattress.
Best for: side and stomach sleepers, pressure relief, and additional support
Mattress Toppers of 4 Inch Thickness
Now, 4-inch mattress toppers are considered to be the thickest ones. These toppers are the ideal combination of comfort, support, and ability to cover all deficiencies in the old mattress.
The 4-inch toppers are used for older mattresses made from memory foam or feature old spring coils. They can also be useful for mattresses that have started to sag and lose shape, causing back pain and pressure point issues.
So, if you’re looking for a reliable, supportive, and incredibly comfortable mattress topper, then go for the 4-inch models. These toppers won’t only provide a supportive layer for a comfortable sleep, but will also last you longer and stay in shape for a longer period.
Best for: side and back sleepers, individuals with back pain and back conditions
Mattress Toppers of 5 Or 6 Inch Thickness
Even though these are rare, 5 and 6-inch mattress toppers are a thing. They are not, however, considered to be the thickest topper officially, but many mattress-making companies do include them in their offer. Now, these mattress toppers are thick; they can make any type of mattress feel like a brand new unit.
Regardless of whether you’re using these toppers on memory foam, or a hybrid unit, a saggy mattress, or a new one, these toppers will provide a layer of comfort and incredible support for the whole body.
The 5 and 6-inch toppers are often medium-firm to firm regarding firmness levels, and often feature different layers of materials and covers to achieve the perfect thickness levels.
Best for: heavier or plus-size individuals, proper weight distribution, side and back sleepers
How To Choose The Right Mattress Topper Thickness?
If you’re still wondering how thick your mattress topper should be, we’ve got some guidelines to help you choose the proper thickness for your topper;
- The padding of the mattress – if you’re current mattress has a considerable amount of padding, but is not completely soft and plushy, we recommend you go for toppers that are 2 or 3 inches thick. However, if the padding in the mattress is a bit worn out and lacks functionality, we recommend 3 or 4-inch toppers.
- Support and pressure relief – if you’re current mattress doesn’t provide enough support for the pressure points in the body, or doesn’t provide pressure relief, we recommend you go for plushier toppers. The best would be the 2-inch mattress topper models.
- Sleep position and weight – if you want to buy a perfect mattress topper and find the ideal thickness, we recommend you consider the following info:
Why Is Mattress Topper Thickness Important?
The thickness of your mattress topper can determine its ability to meet your requirements and needs. That is why it is essential to pay attention to the thickness of the topper you use or want to buy. Here are a few more reasons why the thickness aspect of a topper is essential;
- It can prevent back pain – depending on your needs, a proper mattress topper can prevent back pain. For example, medium to medium-firm toppers, between 3 and 4-inch thickness can provide spinal support, pressure relief, and promote proper spinal alignment. This is important to people who have back conditions like, lumbar pain, scoliosis, sciatica, or fibromyalgia.
- It can regulate body heat – mattress toppers that are 2 or 3 inches thick can promote proper breathability of the mattress and help regulate the body heat. This makes them perfect for hot sleepers and people who sweat excessively (like menopausal women for example). Mattress toppers are usually great when it comes to temperature distribution and cooling of the body.
- It can help with medical needs – medium-firm to firm, thicker mattress toppers can provide additional support for people with medical issues regarding their spine, back, legs, or overall sleep positions. They can also help with allergies, spinal misalignments, sleep apnea, and other medical concerns and needs.
- It can improve sleep quality – when buying a mattress topper of proper thickness, one can improve their sleep quality significantly. Often the mattress is not comfortable or supportive enough, which results in sleep disturbances and frequent awakenings. But, a proper mattress topper can prevent that, by improving the functionality of the mattress and providing the necessary support and comfort.
Finding the ideal mattress topper can be hard, but using the thickness of the topper as a reference could be a good start to finding one. We recommend you take into consideration your needs and requirements when it comes to getting proper sleep, and use them to choose the best mattress topper.
Remember that if you have a hard and firm mattress, you should go for thinner toppers, and if you have an old, soft mattress, you should go for the thicker ones. Take into consideration your weight and size as well, and you should be able to find the ideal mattress topper.