Living in a small apartment limited in space can be challenging. However, being tight on space doesn’t have to be so uncomfortable. A lot of people avoid getting a sleeper sofa because they aren’t getting enough value out of it. Fortunately, there are still comfortable sleeper sofas available on the market that can help you float on a cloud as you sleep.
Aside from getting the most honest and compelling reviews of the most comfortable sleeper sofa, we prepared a detailed buying guide that will help you on your shopping quest.
Sleeper Sofa: What You Need to Know Before Buying
Before we head onto the reviews, we need to explain the difference between modern American futons and the sleeper sofa we’re reviewing. There are a lot of sleeper sofa options on the market. Some of them are recliners, some of the pull-out from the base, and some are convertible in other ways. American futons are usually different.
They’re attached to a wooden, plywood, or metal frame which can click-clack or recline, expanding the futon to its original side.
Essentially, they are often all referred to as the sleeper sofas and branded that way from different manufacturers such as IKEA and others. However, there are minor differences that separate them and determine which option you want to use.
Types of Sleeper Sofa
- Sectional Sofa – This type of sofa consists of several pieces that make the entire sofa. However, once the sections pull and expand, it becomes a sleeping area. They are also good because they can host more than one sleeper once they’re turned into a bed. More importantly, they often come with good storage for pillows and bedding.
Note: The best sectional sofa we found is IKEA Friheten Sofa. It can accommodate more people, and it’s comfortable to lay on.
- Pull-Out Sofa – This type of sofa as its name suggests is pulled and converted into a bed. They usually come with a mattress tucked inside the base, and the mattress can often be changed or replaced. The thicker the mattress, the better for sleepers. Also, they can host more than one guest, similarly to the sectional sofa.
Note: Calion Queen Sofa from Ashley Furniture is the best pull-out sofa we reviewed, especially because of its ease of use and adjustable comfort. Signature by Ashley is known for producing excellent mattresses, so those inside the sleeper sofa, also do great.
- Futon Sofa – These types of sofa can be reclined and pulled back to turn into the area. They’re the best for preserving the space. Futon sofas can be found in a great variety of places, but you can also build one by purchasing a wooden or metal frame and using one of the futon mattresses we reviewed in this article.
Note: Serta’s Rane Collection sofa is listed under a futon sofa category. They’re the best for college students, so if you’re limited on both space and money, make sure to check it out! Also, it’s not the only futon sofa in this roundup, we also listed the Novogratz Brittany Sofa as the best futon sofa.
Types of Mattresses That Go Well With Sleeper Sofa
Some sleeper sofas allow you to insert a separate mattress that is supported by the frame. Here are the best types that go with them. Alternatively, these are the mattresses that often come with sleeper sofas built-in.
- Innerspring mattress
- Memory Foam mattress
- Air Coil Mattress
Why You Should Buy a Sleeper Sofa?
- If you’re living in a small apartment and want to save more space
- You’re restricted on budget and can’t afford to set both the living room and bedroom.
- You’re a college student who lives in a dorm
- You often host guests sleeping over
Why You Shouldn’t Buy a Sleeper Sofa?
- If you have back pain or an underlying condition, sleeping on a sofa with inadequate construction can worsen the problem.
- They can make noise
- You may end up sleeping hot due to synthetic materials.
- Some options may be hard to clean and maintain.
5 Most Comfortable Sleeper Sofa
1. Best Overall: Minter 87″ Pillow Top Arm Sleeper Sofa Bed
Minter 87 Pillow Top sleeper sofa bed is a transitional sleeper sofa that converts into a plush and comfortable sleeping surface with only a click. It’s versatile and quite easy to assemble.
- 74-inches seat width
- Great value for the price.
- Versatile and easy to assemble.
- Nice combination of materials and durable construction.
- Thanks to the memory foam, it gives contouring comfort and relieves pressure from joints and muscles.
- Good for guests and people who plan to sleep on it long-term.
It is made out of polyester fiber and memory foam combination that surrounds innerspring seats. It doesn’t come with a bar which adds up to its comfort and convenience.
The sofa looks stylish and will easily fit into any bedroom or living room ambient. The quilted design of the seats also looks modern. The memory foam inside the sofa will provide contouring and conforming sleep experience and make up for distraction-free restful sleep. Additionally, the coils surrounded by the foam, add up to the firmness and durability of the sofa.
It also boasts durable plastic legs, which can hold up to 600lbs of weight. The sofa is also relatively easy to spot-clean, using water-free solvents. It is recommended for two people and with a good cover, it feels plushy, comfortable, and soft to sleep on. The Top Arm pillows allow for additional comfort for reclining and sleeping. The seat width is 74-inches, meaning it can be good for both children and grown-up people. The frame is made out of metal, and it doesn’t make a lot of noise.
2. Runner Up: Nia Velvet 81.5″ Square Arm Sleeper
Whether you’re looking for a comfortable sofa to accommodate your guests and make your room more stylish or a long-term sleeper sofa in a smaller apartment, Nia Velvet is the best choice.
- The comfortable design makes you sink into the velvety plush
- Foam seat design conforms to your body
- Easy assembly and move thanks to the padding under the sofa’s feet.
- Great for guests, naps, and sleep.
- A lot of colors to choose from.
- 3 years warranty with a smaller extra fee.
It looks and feels premium, covered in pure velvet. To make its design more outstanding, it combines tufted velvet with thick and comfy cushioning. There are a lot of colors to combine with this sofa and the comfort is impeccable.
This sofa boasts a split-back design, which makes converting into a sleeping surface much easier and convenient. It’s great for naps, but also all-night sleep, thanks to the thick cushioning. It’s equally comfortable regardless of the sleep position you sleep in. All four legs boast soft padding underneath them so you can easily move it without scratching your floor.
It is made out of Polyester and boasts a weight capacity of 600lbs. The soft foamy material contours to your body, making it more comfortable to lay on. The sofa boasts seating for up to 3 people and sleeping surfaces for two people.
3. Best Budget: Serta RNE-3S-CC-SET Rane Collection Convertible Sofa
If you’re looking for a smaller sleeper sofa for your smaller home and you’re restricted on budget, Serta’s Rane Collection convertible sofa is a perfect futon-like sofa investment.
- Great value for the price, affordable, and easy to assemble.
- Contemporary design that makes it easily styled with other furniture
- Great for students or guests
- Uses click-clack technology for fast converting
- Safe to use with the finger guard technology that protects from hazard
It uses a popular contemporary design that gives it a minimalistic finish. It uses quality polyester fabric which is popular for both laying and sitting.
It uses a click-clack technology which means you’re a click away from converting it into a cloud-like sleep environment. It is also easy to set up and assemble, between 30 and 45 minutes. This is an ideal option for college students living in a dorm or apartment, or a nice add on to the living room when you’re expecting guests. It uses pocket coils to keep the sitting and laying surface firm and strong enough.
4. Best Pull Out Sleeper Sofa: Calion Queen Sofa Sleeper
Calion sofa sleeper boasts a beautiful gray finish that makes it an attractive piece in the apartment. It uses flared arms with flame stitch-print pillows, and enhance the already minimalistic design. When pulled out, it boasts a memory foam mattress, which offers contouring comfort and reliability.
- It looks stylish, attractive, and easy to pull out.
- Memory foam mattress helps with body-contouring and getting a nice night’s rest
- A lot of functional and decorative pillows to enhance comfort
- Durable, wood finish feet
- Lifetime warranty for frames
It is equipped with back and loses seating cushions that support and align your back. Additionally, there are high-resiliency cushions that are filled in the thick poly-fiber cover. Lastly, 4 decorative pillows may add up to comfort. It uses a special memory foam infused with gel beads that add up to the comfortable and contouring sleep experience. The damask ticking helps protect it and provide additional balance.
It has strong and sturdy feet made out of the wood finish. The sofa is not too difficult to assemble but it’s heavy so you will face some difficulties moving it.
5. Best Futon Sofa Set: Novogratz Brittany Sofa Futon
Futon sets have grown extremely popular, especially in smaller apartments, with students in dorms and outdoors. The reason for that is because futon sofas are more affordable compared to the regular sleeper’s sofa, and allow people to save money, especially if people don’t come over too often to sleep.
- As mentioned above, this is the futon sofa we highlighted from the types.
- Relatively affordable option.
- Comfortable sofa set with wooden legs that feel strong and sturdy
- It is easy to recline, clean, and maintain.
- The polyester cover doesn’t get dirty easily and gives that cozy feeling as you lay.
- It’s easy to assemble, and move, making it ideal for college students.
This futon uses navy linen upholstery that looks modern and easily fits into the ambient. If you’re worried about cleaning and wiping it, don’t, it’s extremely easy and requires only a few wipes. The ribbed tufted rear construction looks modern and conforms to your back when you’re sitting or lying. Aside from that, it boasts slanted oak wooden legs with strong wooden construction.
It is surrounded by a polyester that feels comfortable and cozy for the skin and foam filling that conforms to your skin as you lay. With a length of 81 inches, it is appropriate for both shorter and taller people who want to lay on it.
Features to Look Into When Shopping for a Sofa Mattress
Upholstery is the first thing you should notice in a good sleeper sofa. It’s the texture that covers the sofa. Some more premium options boast linen and cotton upholstery which is comfortable on the touch and helps regulate the temperature. Other options like polyester and faux leather can not only get uncomfortable but also make you or your guests sleep hot when the temperature rises. They reduce the overall breathability of the sofa and make it hotter.
NOTE: Upholsteries come with different thickness, material and pattern options. For some people, upholstery that is too ribbed or pointed out can be uncomfortable.
Dimensions range from design to design. Futon sofas have more than twin to twin XL design, but there are also Queen and King dimensions. Most of the other sleeper sofa, like those that pull out or have sectional construction, is mostly Queen, but there are also some King exceptions.
Spring mattresses are the most prominent designs on the market. However, there are memory and polyurethane foam options too. Some options have toppers too to ensure more comfort. Still, don’t be fooled into thinking that sleeper sofas can replace the comfort of a good mattress. Keep in mind that some mattresses with springs can appear too hard and uncomfortable. In this article, our focus was on comfortable mattresses so we focused more on foam construction.
The most durable options are made out of hardwood, along with wooden feet. Metal frames are also durable, but the bars can be so uncomfortable that they could be felt under the mattress. If you use a recliner sofa, make sure to get a durable frame with a proper and safe locking mechanism.
Other 4 Products You Can Also Consider
6. Best Leather: Greta Recycled Leather XL Sleeper Sofa
- The recycled leather makes up for cozy sensation while laying, and the adjustable recliner helps you customize how you want to relax on the sofa.
- It’s ideal for guests and college dorms.
- The polyurethane foam conforms to your body and cradles you to sleep regardless of sleep position.
- It’s easy to clean and maintain.
- Up to 1-year limited warranty.
Whether you’re looking for a leather option to complement your apartment-style or simply offer more quality, Greta sleeper sofa is made out of eco-friendly, recycled leather. It uses a durable and strong metal frame that can easily recline from couch to a fully-functional bed within a click. The metal frame is adjustable, so you can only recline half-way to get more quality.
7. Best Space-Saving: IKEA Friheten Sofa
- Available in a lot of colors that you can use in your apartment
- It is made out of polyester that can keep you comfy and cozy.
- Polyurethane foam adjusts to your body and hugs you to sleep.
- Plywood feet and bed box is durable and long-lasting
- 365 days trial.
IKEA is a quality standard regardless of what furniture piece is in the offer. Friheten Sofa is no exception. It boasts a simple pull mechanism that opens storage where you can keep your pillows and beddings. The top falls over storage with just a gentle push. It’s comfortable and accessible and also allows you to store the bedding away not to occupy the rest of the apartment.
8. Best Sectional Sofa: IKEA Friheten Sectional Sofa
- Sectional sofas help save space for storage, we included this one from the types.
- The lower density polyurethane foam makes laying and sleeping on this sleeper sofa easier.
- It can accommodate two persons with cushioning parts of the sofa conforming to both.
- It comes with 10 years limited warranty
- The cover is durable and doesn’t experience color fading.
With sectional sofas growing in popularity, it doesn’t surprise us that there are more sleeper sofas with this construction available on the market. The sectional version of the Friheten sofa doesn’t look much different than its original. It has a pull-out part that connects to the angled part on the side. Additionally, there is a storage section, similar to the previous option.
9. Best Modern: Zeb Full Sofa Sleeper
- Damask ticking case
- Gel memory foam allows better breathability and gives more breeze to the night’s rest.
- Durable feet with faux wood.
- Foam cushions add up to the comfort.
- Lifetime warranty for the frames.
Zeb sleeper sofa gives a fresh and minimalist finish to your living room or a modern bedroom. It’s great for small spaces and people looking to host guests and family relatives. It uses microfiber upholstery that is easy to clean and maintain, and its color won’t fade over time. It pulls out into a durable memory foam mattress that conforms to your body and allows for a plush and cloud-like night rest.